Kala Koa Concert opinion

drum4Him

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the Kala koa concert cutaway? Model is KA-KCE-C. Opinions appreciated. MM has a few in his store. I've been looking for a entry/mid level concert cutaway.

d4H

I haven't played the concert model but i have played the tenor model by kala and very fine instrument for the price. It actually made me a believer in laminate ukes.

It is a nice ukulele. I think you should be quite happy with it. If you buy it from Mike, he will set it up really nice for you...

I actually have bought the exact uke yur gettin and lemme say it is a beautiful sounding instrument, especially from MGM when he hooks it up for you.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm to go to a store to try it out, but MM seems to have the best deal going.

Again.. thanks for the responses!

d4H

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm to go to a store to try it out, but MM seems to have the best deal going.

Again.. thanks for the responses!

d4H

OMG! You live some place where you can try out a uke in a store before you buy it?? You're so lucky...why did you ask us then? Just go try it...Holy cow, I wish I could just run down to the store and try out a bunch of ukes, I'm pretty much limited to a Mitchell, a Cordoba and whatever cheapo Guitar Center wants to throw out there (Before a riot ensues, I'm not saying Mitchell or Cordoba are cheapo) but I am saying there is no selection at any store within 100 miles of here.

Well, when you try it, let us know what you think, ( I bet you'll like it):)

OMG! You live some place where you can try out a uke in a store before you buy it?? You're so lucky...why did you ask us then? Just go try it...Holy cow, I wish I could just run down to the store and try out a bunch of ukes, I'm pretty much limited to a Mitchell, a Cordoba and whatever cheapo Guitar Center wants to throw out there (Before a riot ensues, I'm not saying Mitchell or Cordoba are cheapo) but I am saying there is no selection at any store within 100 miles of here.

I sure will let you know. It would be about an hour drive though to get there, so it's not like just around the corner. Anyway, just anxious to hear how people like thiers, so maybe it would get me fired up to make the trip. However, I've been strummin higher on the frets lately, and the cutaway kala seems like something affordable as I continue to save for a Kanilea.

d4H

Well I took the time to go play the Kala. Bottom line, for the price, it is very competitive with other ukes in the same price range. My favorite feature is the cutaway to play chords higher a little easier. The sound (volume & quality) seemed somewhere between an applause and a fluke (I own both). Although it was in tune with itself, as an afterthought, it seemed tuned lower and this probably held back the before mentioned volume and brightness. Also if the stock strings were replaced this too could improve the sound. The store was not a music instrument store, so it did not have an amp to plug into. I was a little disappointed that the neck profile was not a little larger. But overall, decent for the money.

I may get beat up for this, but has anyone played an Oscar Schmidt Concert Koa Electric OU5LCE? I heard mostly negative about Schmidt ukes, but also saw a positive opinion on this model, which is in the same price range.

d4H

If you can't play an Oscar Schmidt and compare it with the Kala, you're probably better off with the Kala. Especially if you buy it from MGM; he'll make sure the intonation is good and supply better strings. Oscar Schmidts are inconsistent.

I read that Oscar Schmidt admitted to having consitency issues with their ukes in recent years. But that is all in the past. Seems they have revamped their production facitlity and are predicting a new era of Oscar Schmidt!

For 2009, we put the 'c', 'm', and 'd' back into our instruments!!

I second this motion. You gotta check out uke republic. He's a Kala and Honu dealer DeG. Super cool guy also.

I wished I had actually picked up the uke when I lived in Hawaii. I lived 200 yards from the Mele store on Maui and went inside the store maybe four times. I couldn't pay $300 for a "little guitar" when I could get a Taylor for $600 (that I couldn't play). Man I was dumb.

. . . I couldn't pay $300 for a "little guitar" when I could get a Taylor for $600 (that I couldn't play). Man I was dumb.
Funny how things like that come back and haunt you. Just taking things for granted when they're right at your fingertips. I'll second the "Man, I was dumb!" comment.

Top Bottom