Do they have ukuleles in Africa?

Helms

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am currently on my second holiday this summer - this time around I'm in Tanzania.
Earlier this year I bought a uke in the US which made me want even more ukes! :)

... I know it is unlikely anyone would know this answer, and even more unlikely that it exists here in Tanzania, but having an African ukulele would be awesome.

I only have a few days left here, so I was wondering - do you guys know if there, against all odds is a ukulele store in Moshi, Tanzania? :)

Thanks!

you might have to go to Ukeganda

When we lived in Nigeria, when I was a kid, my Dad's business partner used to play a banjo uke (mainly George Formby numbers). In fact, thinking about it, that must have been the first Uke I ever heard. But local Nigerian bands didn't have any Ukes in their ensembles. Maybe that's changed now. ;)

I think it would be cool to find and buy the most ukulele-like (i.e., four string) native instrument you can find. If you really want an ukulele, though, try performing an internet search for an international luthiers' organization that might know whether there are any ukulele builders anywhere near where you're going to be.

When I was in Tanzania (06-07) I never saw any uke stuff but what I brought with me. And I don't remember any music stores in Moshi (though I wasn't looking for one either).

The only instruments I heard there were drums and casio keyboards. Though it would be interesting to arrange a Bongo Fleva song for uke...

I don't think it's a hot bed of ukulele activity but that wouldn't stop me from bringing one with me to Africa. It's gotta start somewhere, why not with you?
BTW, I just took a look at my web site hits. From the last 1,600 hits I've received, two have been from Africa. So you might have to look pretty hard! :)

Perhaps we need to send some good will ambassadors and do some mission work, bringing ukulele to places that know not of ukulele.

Good luck finding something, or something close!

I don't think it's a hot bed of ukulele activity but that wouldn't stop me from bringing one with me to Africa. It's gotta start somewhere, why not with you?
BTW, I just took a look at my web site hits. From the last 1,600 hits I've received, two have been from Africa. So you might have to look pretty hard! :)

Chuck, I'm guessing that the other 1,598 hits were from me :drool: love your work!

Greetings, my friend. My father the late honorable benjamin mgabuti was the founder of the ukulele society of nigeria. He left a fortune in his bank account. All i need is your bank account and pin # and i will transfer it to your account, and you can keep $10000000.00 of it to buy an african ukulele on your holiday. Many thanks and god bless.

Benj. Mgabuti, ii

you might have to go to Ukeganda

Haha, epic! :)

Thanks for the replies. Ye, I shouldve brought a uke with me. Spend 3 days on the most beautiful beach, so peaceful and no other tourist to bother us :)
... only thing missing was a uke in my hands to make it perfect!

Ive already looked at several native instruments, problem is those Ive seen so far has been of very very low quality and would probably break as soon as I took it outside where the wind would shatter it to pieces :)
My dad has however some cylinder-looking instruments with strings all the way around - so I am not completly without african instruments at home at least.

I have tried a little internet search, but after nearly 3 weeks here in Tanzania, Ive had internet two or three times - quite another reality down here.
Ill continue my search. :)

Thanks!

Pick up a thumb piano. I remember a guy playing Soukous rhythms on a stringed instrument outside the Carnivore restaurant in Nairobe a few years ago. I don't think the Masai use any stringed instruments. I think this guy might have been from Zanzibar.
I would bet you could find some interesting instruments in Dar es Salaam too.

Check out a movie called "Throw Down Your Heart". Bela Fleck takes his banjo to four African countries , including Tanzania, and plays with the several world class African musicians.

Check out a movie called "Throw Down Your Heart". Bela Fleck takes his banjo to four African countries , including Tanzania, and plays with the several world class African musicians.

Absolutely, I've plugged "Throw Down Your Heart" a couple times before in other threads, probably the best music documentary I've seen.

I'm heading to Tanzania for a month in September. I'm hoping to bring one of my ukes. I probably will pick up a thumb piano, but the simplest one I can find. Do you suppose I could get one tuned so it can easily play along with my uke?

Top Bottom