Kantele

-UP-

Reaction score
It's great to see everybody smiling when I tell them that i play the ukulele. Most of them laugh when they see the instrument for the first time.

I've gained the same reaction when i purchased this, the big old stringless kantele.

I'm going to string it with nylon strings with chromatic tuning. So there goes the Finnish traditions :p

Attachments

• DSC00243.jpg
    DSC00243.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 32
Hi there,

I've been to Finland only once. A friendly girl I met there showed me her kantele - and even gave a private concert!

A beautiful instrument indeed, with a magnificently warm sound. But I'm also interested in the Swedish nyckelharpa (once almost obsolete, but now gaining popularity all over Europe. And even featuring in pop bands - not necessarily all Swedish!).

By the way: ever heard of the crwth (from Wales; no spelling error)? A distinct relative of the kantele, it seems...

tnob

LOL! I opened this thread thinking that the OP had misspelled Kanilea!

Hello Alan,

If you are really interested in music (and stringed instruments), kantele, nyckelharpa and crwth are honestly worth a closer look. I know there are several nyckelharpa clips on YouTube. And there may be some featuring the kantele as well.

Surprise yourself!

tnob

Top Bottom