Help with my Hawaiian...

Strumdaddy

Reaction score
I need some help in translating an English phrase to Hawaiian.
It's: "for the love of music".
I was playing around with "na" "mele" and "aloha", but have no idea what the right combination would look like. I believe that there is no word for "music" generally in Hawaiian, I'm just looking for something that carries the spirit of the phrase, and being a born-and-bred Aussie I need some help from brothers and sisters closer to the source. Mahalo in advance.

I've only made my way up through HAW 201 so far, but my best guess is something like "No ke aloha o nā mele" - for the love of the songs. That statement is pretty much "English thinking" to begin with so Iʻm sure there is a more poetic Hawaiian way to phrase it, but thatʻs the literal translation that's coming to mind right now. Any context you could provide might (or might not) be helpful.

Thanks Hippie Guy,
I busk a bit, and I want to put a sign up saying "thank you" (mahalo) to people who listen and/or throw in money, and I had the urge to put that phrase on the sign as a link to the source (and I think it would sound a little more lyrical in Hawaiian)
Any other thoughts out there? It doesn't have to be literal.....

Here's what I came up with
Mahalo.JPG
-will probably get a few smiles...
And when I finally make it to Hawaii, and they ask me for the purpose of my visit, I can tell them "No ke aloha o nā mele".....

Top Bottom