DGBE tuning for a Soprano uke

bigploch

Reaction score
Is there a proper gauge string to tune a soprano to DGBE?

I found a thread explaining how to tune to dGBE by using a low G set and an extra E string. Now I'm trying to figure out if there is a gauge of string, wound or not, that will get me the low D.

Searched here, and elsewhere and can't find what I need.

Help please.

Hi, Mr. Goodman.

I used standard GCEA sop strings and tuned down, but they became floppy and not enough tension. I think you're right to find a deicated set if there is such a cow. I'll watch for other's replies--someone on here will know. They know everything.

I like your movies. The Big Lebowski was fun, but I thought you kicked butt as the Director in The Silent Movie. I didn't know it was going to end with him being French and all.

Southcoast XLL will get you a DGBE(linear G) on soprano but note that it is an octave higher than typical baritone tuning
http://www.southcoastukes.com/linear.htm

I'm going to be surprised if you can find a suitable set to get an octave lower on soprano scale.

Hi, Mr. Goodman.

I used standard GCEA sop strings and tuned down, but they became floppy and not enough tension. I think you're right to find a deicated set if there is such a cow. I'll watch for other's replies--someone on here will know. They know everything.

I like your movies. The Big Lebowski was fun, but I thought you kicked butt as the Director in The Silent Movie. I didn't know it was going to end with him being French and all.

Hi Mr. Kayaker,

May I just call you Cool? Thanks for the compliments. I hope to get all this figured out.

- Big Dan T (actually Big Dan P, but haolejohn changed it in the poho thread. Hence the picture.

Ok let's just say that you can find magic strings that give you that pitch.
But it won't sound very good. The short scale and small body cavity will cause it to sound very dead.

Love my XLL's from Southcoast mentioned above. . .

Last edited:
These are the types of experiments my brain inevitably makes me go explore. :)

I don't have string gauges to cite, but I Bet there's a way.

I'm not tuned to DGBE on my soprano - yet - but if I could, I would definitely try.

I Am using a baritone set on my soprano. Someone posted that I better wear eye gear, but, actually, the unwound strings of
a baritone set are actually very close in gauge to typical sopranos.

Love my XLL's from Southcoast mention above. . .

Thanks. I may get these. They don't say anything about the tuning. Is there more information somewhere? Are they designed for GCEA and then tuned down to DGBE?

I'm doing this for a guitar player friend who bought a Uke years ago on a whim and has never played because he couldn't get the DGBE tuning and didn't want to learn a new instrument.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Southcoast XLL will get you a DGBE(linear G) on soprano but note that it is an octave higher than typical baritone tuning
http://www.southcoastukes.com/linear.htm

I'm going to be surprised if you can find a suitable set to get an octave lower on soprano scale.

I re-read this post and that is what I am looking for. As stated above, looking to set up a Uke for a buddy so we can play on the beach on vacation in a few weeks.

Top Bottom