PDA

View Full Version : Bad Picture, but Impressive-Looking Uke -- LFDM

Stevelele
08-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Luis just sent me this picture--he is shipping the uke tomorrow. Macassar Ebony back/sides, sinker redwood top, custom rosette that I helped design, made of spalted maple, beveled armrest, custom bridge that LFDM designed. Super excited to try it. A Devine is coming at the same time so I don't know if I'll be able to keep it, but I can't wait to try it

BTW, I chose this design for the rosette because to me, the only thing that I didn't like about the LFDM aesthetically was the soundhole--I felt that it was so large that it really drew the eye to the hole and overshadowed all the other elements of it. By having curves and points on the rosette, it draws your eye to the edges of the uke, so you focus on some of the other details, like the nice curve of the cutaway and the bevel. Although I'm sure that the bevel will be comfortable, the main reason I got it was to balance out the cutaway aesthetically--I like how they contrast one another and it makes for a great silhouette and works well with rosettes curves and sharp points. anyhow, obviously I don't know what it sounds like yet, but I am very very pleased with how it looks

Appalachian picker
08-08-2013, 05:29 AM
WOW. That's gorgeous! Can't wait to see better pictures of it and hear how you like it.

I just made a ukulele stand out of some spalted maple. Really beautiful wood.

kvehe
08-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Love it! Eagerly awaiting more pix!

coolkayaker1
08-08-2013, 06:15 AM
Amazing, Steve. Ebony back and sides. I thought that wood was supposed to be hard to bend? I guess not in the hands of Mr Mosquito.

Dan Uke
08-08-2013, 06:16 AM
I would love to hear a sound comparison with your other tenor ukes. That is one sweet uke...I can only think of one other LFDM that looks better :p

hawaii 50
08-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Hey Steve my Compass Rose has the same wood combo..haha

do you know if all the Lfdm's being sent out at the same time....I want to watch Corey sound sample them for Andrew at the shop when they come in....

I think Andrew has 3 coming in?

rem50
08-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Now that is a CUSTOM uke! Love the design. Hope it sounds as good as it looks!

Stevelele
08-08-2013, 06:43 AM
I just sold my Ko'olau. But I could compare it to my Moore Bettah and within the month, my Devine. That could be fun

I would love to hear a sound comparison with your other tenor ukes. That is one sweet uke...I can only think of one other LFDM that looks better :p

Stevelele
08-08-2013, 06:44 AM
I think he's finished all of them already, but I'm not sure--I know he was doing them in batches. Yeah, you'll want to listen to Corey's sound sample before mine! I don't want to degrade the instrument with a lousy sound sample

do you know if all the Lfdm's being
sent out at the same time....I want to watch Corey sound sample them for Andrew at the shop when they come in....

hawaii 50
08-08-2013, 06:51 AM
I think he's finished all of them already, but I'm not sure--I know he was doing them in batches. Yeah, you'll want to listen to Corey's sound sample before mine! I don't want to degrade the instrument with a lousy sound sample

Haha...I found the real way to listen to your ukuleles...and really hear what they should sound like...

Let Corey play it...wow
he's CD should be out soon...gots to get the word out...Corey can play with the best..

my Devine ready next year...I thought you were getting your's at the end of the year?
what are you going to do with all your ukes coming in at the same time? haha

good luck with your new ukes....and should be fun watching Corey play 3 Lfdm's soon

dkcrown
08-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Looks great Steve. I imagine that we may be seeing a number of the "magnificent seven" pictured here in NUD threads in the upcoming weeks. Just a hunch. (Or a little birdie told me):)

Nickie
08-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Wow, very pretty! I love the beveled top....

Dan Uke
08-08-2013, 10:43 AM

do you know if all the Lfdm's being sent out at the same time....I want to watch Corey sound sample them for Andrew at the shop when they come in....

Steve's has the only redwood so we gotta hear it directly from the source!

I want to hear Corey's sound sample and see if there is any difference with and without arm rest.

MGM
08-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Steve's has the only redwood so we gotta hear it directly from the source!

I want to hear Corey's sound sample and see if there is any difference with and without arm rest.

Should be here in Hawaii any day now......

Ukejenny
08-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Very pretty, especially with the bevel.

PhilUSAFRet
08-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Off the charts gorgeous. I like the idea of having a uke that doesn't look like everyone else's. Would love to hear it

AndrewKuker
08-08-2013, 01:07 PM
very cool Steve! Love your customized rosette, Is your sound-hole actually smaller as you say?
these 4 are in transit to us-
http://theukulelereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/LFDM.jpg

caukulele
08-08-2013, 01:11 PM
very cool Steve! Love your customized rosette, Is your sound-hole actually smaller as you say?
Andrew, those are incredible! Can't wait for some sound samples on your site!

hawaii 50
08-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Hey Andrew...

let me know when you record the four aces...haha
tell Corey to give me a call or email me...

love to hear Corey play them up close and personal...haha

Stevelele
08-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Awesome!!! They look fantastic. No, the soundhole in mine is not smaller....it just looks smaller, but its the same size

Dan Uke
08-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Should be here in Hawaii any day now......

did you get them?

mm stan
08-10-2013, 04:20 AM
Aloha Steve,
Congrats on your new ukulele....wow happy Strummings... :)

NewKid
08-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Aloha UU and "Magnificent 7" club, here's my LFdM on the way: Alaskan Yellow Cedar over Quilted Maple with Koa binding and back strip. My wife's name is inlayed on the 12th fret.

Dan Uke
08-10-2013, 10:38 AM
I guess there are seven so here's mine!! Hope to get next week and give my opinion

MGM
08-10-2013, 01:58 PM
I just played the ukuleles this morning and I can tell their tone is outstanding. The sound is rich and really open sounding no need for time to be broken in as its projection was crisp and loud... however the action was a little too low for me but we are adjusting all the ukes....beautiful build and very interesting look...

coolcow
08-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Ya, I totally agree but he emailed me today saying this was the first time he used the mandolin fret wire as it was requested by a customer in Hawaii that wants to buy two of these four from us. It's not common knowledge or sense that the tang is fatter ton thinner wire. They always give fret gauge. This customer also requested action below 2mm. I feel bad for Luis. He's a great luthier.

Hi Andrew, how's that side sound port?? I think it's Luis' first uke that have a side sound port.

mm stan
08-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Aloha Andrew and Mike..
They look better than I imagined...like dannys one....I am not a fan of cut off though....sound port OK....will be waiting for your videos on them....on the ukulelereview.com

Dan Uke
08-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Hi Andrew, how's that side sound port?? I think it's Luis' first uke that have a side sound port.

I think RichM owns one with a soundport but not sure.

hawaii 50
08-11-2013, 07:04 AM

the SSP is different for Classical Guitar builders(they usually do not use them) ...but I have seen some classical guitars with two sound holes on the top(upper bout) of the guitar...

I did not know was his first SSP...looked OK to me...

hope Andrew can record the Lfdm's soon..maybe tonight or Monday...

mm stan
08-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Okay Len how did they sound and compare .....

hawaii 50
08-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Okay Len how did they sound and compare .....

you can hear them on Andrew's blog soon..and hear them for yourself,you tell me which one you like

theukulelereview

marymac
08-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Just found this thread (I've been out of touch I guess). So glad to see the final pics of the Magnificent 7! Can't wait to hear these beauties :)

Dan Uke
08-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Here's a link to sound samples of three from Andrew at Hawaii Music Supply

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?84482-LFdM-s-Ukaferri&p=1355161#post1355161

marymac
08-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Here's a link to sound samples of three from Andrew at Hawaii Music Supply

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?84482-LFdM-s-Ukaferri&p=1355161#post1355161

Cool! Thanks for the link :)

Stevelele
08-14-2013, 09:01 AM
curses! I just got my ukulele in, but I'm at work and can't play it. My first reaction is WOW!!! This thing looks better than what I was expecting. Nobody really said much about the finish--I'm very very happy with it. And everything is extremely sharp. Sure, there are a few minor things that could've been better, but honestly, I have never seen a uke without at least a tiny little flaw. So frustrating not to be able to try it out though--looks so very beautiful. I was thinking of selling it to fund some other crazy purchases I've made recently, but this is going to be tough

Dan Uke
08-14-2013, 09:18 AM
curses! I just got my ukulele in, but I'm at work and can't play it. My first reaction is WOW!!! This thing looks better than what I was expecting. Nobody really said much about the finish--I'm very very happy with it. And everything is extremely sharp. Sure, there are a few minor things that could've been better, but honestly, I have never seen a uke without at least a tiny little flaw. So frustrating not to be able to try it out though--looks so very beautiful. I was thinking of selling it to fund some other crazy purchases I've made recently, but this is going to be tough

Can you at least take some good close up pics!!

Stevelele
08-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Here's one57196

Stevelele
08-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Wow, I am impressed! And I don't impress easily. Some of you know that I have played some of the best custom instruments you can find. I have bought and sold a lot of instrument, and many of them were great. This LFDM is just plain awesome. I was thinking that I might sell it, but I don't know if I can. It looks even better than the pictures--when I look at it, I feel like an ukulele superhero. The sharp lines and the curves are just so great, and none of it feel forced. But of course none of it matters without the sound. And wow, the sound. I don't know if it's the macassar ebony, or the sinker redwood, or the lattice bracing, or just Luis, but it is so smooth, so precise, so sweet. I used to own a Kris Barnett tenor--I think that was maybe the only uke that had the combination of being quite as smooth and sweet as this one. I've got to say, when I play it, I feel sort of the way when I play my Moore Bettah (I still like the Moore Bettah better, bc its overall feel is just amazing, but the LFDM might even sound better). It's resonant, clean, smooth, no buzzing, precise, great overtones. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the sound. I was not expecting it to be this good

coolcow
08-14-2013, 08:21 PM
ok now you make me want to get another LFDM :drool:

marymac
08-14-2013, 08:41 PM
ok now you make me want to get another LFDM :drool:

This is funny coolcow! Your LFDM was the inspiration for many of the new LFDMs rolling out now :). How are you doing with yours?

Dan Uke
08-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Awww man...I'm the last one to get a uke out of the Magnificent 7!! :(

marymac
08-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Awww man...I'm the last one to get a uke out of the Magnificent 7!! :(

Nope - mine won't be here until Monday. How about you?

Dan Uke
08-17-2013, 04:09 AM
Nope - mine won't be here until Monday. How about you?

Lucky you!! I have a feeling you will get yours earlier than mine!!

hawaii 50
08-17-2013, 04:12 AM
Lucky you!! I have a feeling you will get yours earlier than mine!!

Hey Daniel...
did you try to get the tracking numbers from Luis?

your uke could come in to the Post Office after the carrier has left to delivery his mail for the day...so it will just sit in the office until the next day...if it happens today you won't get it till Monday...

Dan Uke
08-17-2013, 04:20 AM
Hey Daniel...
did you try to get the tracking numbers from Luis?

your uke could come in to the Post Office after the carrier has left to delivery his mail for the day...so it will just sit in the office until the next day...if it happens today you won't get it till Monday...

Yeah, it didn't work for US or Canada...I sent an email to make sure it was corrects.

hawaii 50
08-17-2013, 04:26 AM
Yeah, it didn't work for US or Canada...I sent an email to make sure it was corrects.

yeah if you don't have the tracking number off the receipt going to be hard...
you can call your post office and maybe the supervisor can look around the office for you...but this almost asking for a small miracle...haha

I worked in a small office in Calif...so if the supervisors were not busy they might help you...but if your PO is a large office...forget it..try get the numbers again from Luis

good luck Bruddah!

Dan Uke
08-17-2013, 11:28 AM
It's ok...I just play my other ukes. If I had none, I would be really worried.

yeah if you don't have the tracking number off the receipt going to be hard...
you can call your post office and maybe the supervisor can look around the office for you...but this almost asking for a small miracle...haha

I worked in a small office in Calif...so if the supervisors were not busy they might help you...but if your PO is a large office...forget it..try get the numbers again from Luis

good luck Bruddah!