How many Tape Measures do I need ?

Timbuck

Reaction score
Just been sorting out some tools..and all the missing tape measures have turned up all at once...when I need one I can't find one.:(

Ha ha. Looks like they're breeding. I have a similar situation with small steel rules, pencils, and small flashlights. Used to gather them up and put them "where they belong" periodically until I realized that wherever I had left one of these items the last time I used it was the most likely place I'd need it next time :)

My main rule/tape measure rule is to make sure that I use the same one from start to finish on a project. Amazing what small differences can do to a project so a piece of tape goes on the active ones.

One can never have too many tape measures. My husband does not understand this, but I need one everywhere I use one. One in the kitchen, one hanging by the bench with the vice, one in my purse, one in the car. Then there are rules and squares, which hang over all three work areas in my garage shop. And in a drawer or two... I do find it useful to have a hook dedicated to one of them on my pegboard. IT usually stays in place pretty well.

You rule!
Anne

Oh, that's not even close to the number I have found over the past few months since my carpenter husband passed away.
But don't get me started on the number of circular saws and screw guns he had (well, now I have). I am far from a town, so a couple of the other local contractors have already stopped by when they have needed caulk or miscellaneous other stuff so they wouldn't have to drive to the hardware store in the middle of their workday.

Or pairs of eye glasses in my case. 4 or 5 different power for every task. They migrate in herds though. Sometimes they will all be in the house or in the car but none in the shop. I think it happens while I'm asleep.

Attachments

• glasses.jpg
    glasses.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 44

Or pairs of eye glasses in my case. 4 or 5 different power for every task. They migrate in herds though. Sometimes they will all be in the house or in the car but none in the shop. I think it happens while I'm asleep.
Yes! Chuck I have that problem as well..only Mrs Timbuck shares the same strength lenses as me. so it's twice as bad :(..we have to go around the house.. bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, workshop car, etc: and round up as many pairs as we can.

I get so upset at not being able to find a tape measure when I need one that I bought a "contractor" pack of ten and have them hanging above my workbench. Since then I've only needed to grab one from the pack.

Ha ha. Looks like they're breeding. I have a similar situation with small steel rules, pencils, and small flashlights. Used to gather them up and put them "where they belong" periodically until I realized that wherever I had left one of these items the last time I used it was the most likely place I'd need it next time :)

Allen wrenches. I have more Allen wrenches floating around my house, garage, and shop than I can shake a stick at. I think I've saved every one that ever came with an Ikea furniture kit as well as the multiple sets that I've purchased.

Think I can find a single one when I need it? Nope...

The silver Stanley one, second from the right, looks like the only one I can find when I need one.
It's in bloomin inches, no metric!
h

One of these days I'm going to open a toolbox drawer and find about 150 Dremel attachments that have been hiding from me, along with about 35 screwdrivers and allen wrench sets.

Seems every time I need one I have to go out and buy one.

6" rulers (scales), pencils and eye glasses. Those are my bane. Don't own a taper measure at all. But there needs to be a round up at the end of each day to sort the others out and put them in their place.

I went to bed last night thinking that I'd read a book. Couldn't find a pair of glasses to see it though. So it was an early night.

Top Bottom