So Embarrased!! My concert is a tenor!

imagesinthewind

Reaction score
I've owned my 'concert' uke for over a year, purchased over craigslist from a private seller. I have loved it for the color, the perfect size, the deep rich tone. It's a Makai.

I recently purchased a couple concert sized ukes, a Luna with the peace sign in the sound hole-acou/elec and one of the Butler music mahogany concert acou/elec that they put up a few days ago, the solid mahogany one.

Both concerts arrived today (Butler shipped same day, the Luna came from Music123 and is 5 days early) and i freaked out a little. Both were small compared to my Makai 'concert' uke. Turns out after measuring and looking on the net, that my loved 'concert' is actually a tenor. So, i now have 1 soprano (Rogue for my daughter), 2 concert (Luna and Lanikai), 1 tenor, Makai and my Rogue Baritone.

I'm kind of embarrassed that I didn't know what I had. But now I actually love my tenor that much more!!

Ginny
Denver

Thanks for sharing~ cute story, really. Hope you are happy with your Concerts!

Happened this way for a reason, don't you think?! Sounds like you have a nice uke family to enjoy.

Now you come to mention it, my Luna Honu Baritone feels a bit snug in the Soprano case I keep it in.

It was meant to be. And I think you need to start looking for the tenor you thought you were buying...any excuse to add more babies.

ha, reminds me of when I thought my pet rabbit, named Peter Cottontail, was a boy, had a litter of babies....

Sounds like Karma. It's a little annoying when sellers don't know the sizes of the uke they are selling and mis-label them. Sounds like it worked out this time. Congrats. The more uke buying/shopping you do, the easier it will be to recognize the size by just looking at it. When in doubt, I ask for measurements.

"hey baby, what are your measurements" --- creepy in person... OK for the ukulele though!

It is the scale length, not necessarily the size of the body that determines what you have.

And these days, to confuse things, you have the "Sopranino", Soprano, "super-soprano", Concert, "long scale Concert", and many slightly different scale & body sizes of Tenors.

Oh, for the simple days of yore, when a plain Ukulele was enough.
I would be out of business...

I've just ordered my first concert uke and should get it tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!! I just read in that new book about the history of Martin ukes is that they came up with the term "concert" ukulele.

Petey

It took me a while to realize that my Kamaka Long-neck Concert ukulele is actually a Tenor-scale uke with a Concert-size body. So, technically I can say I have both a Kamaka Tenor and a Kamaka Concert. I'm so confused! :)

I've just ordered my first concert uke and should get it tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!! I just read in that new book about the history of Martin ukes is that they came up with the term "concert" ukulele.

Petey
Oh, the heresy!

The Lanikai is very nice. Plays wonderfully, sounds amazing. The set up is prefect.
125.00 for it is a steal.

The Luna is also very nice. Not as deep and resonant as the Lani but a great sound. I now have to find a good amp (Luna suitcase).

You've got me worried now. Can anyone tell me what size they think my Ukulele is from this photo please ?

banjo3.jpg

Top Bottom