Mandoquin

ANP

Reaction score
Hello Ukulele Underground,

I would like to introduce to you a new instrument that some ukulele players may be interested in, the mandoquin. It was designed mainly for steel string guitar players wanting a mandolin sound, but some ukulele players may also be interested. It is played much differently than you would a ukulele, as the player would probably want to use a pick. So it would be played more like a steel string guitar or mandolin but the tuning is the same as a ukulele. The scale length and fingerboard width are about the same as a tenor ukulele so I thought some of you might like to know about it. I put together a video to try and help explain it. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Andy Poe
www.poestrings.com

Hello Ukulele Underground,

I would like to introduce to you a new instrument that some ukulele players may be interested in, the mandoquin. It was designed mainly for steel string guitar players wanting a mandolin sound, but some ukulele players may also be interested. It is played much differently than you would a ukulele, as the player would probably want to use a pick. So it would be played more like a steel string guitar or mandolin but the tuning is the same as a ukulele. The scale length and fingerboard width are about the same as a tenor ukulele so I thought some of you might like to know about it. I put together a video to try and help explain it. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Andy Poe
www.poestrings.com

Nice work, Andy! I think you're going to have a lot of interest in these!

For those who have never heard of Andy Poe, he is a very, very fine builder of mandolins. For example, he built this little fellah that I own:

attachment.php

Attachments

• man4.jpg
    man4.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 153
I like it! I like it very much!

Thanks everyone for checking it out and for the feedback. I’m delighted that others share my excitement for the mandoquin. Surely it won’t be for everyone, but I think it could meet the needs of many.

Rich, Good to see Driftwood #8 “The Marlin” again. Hope you are enjoying it. It makes me happy that it is owned by someone that is also a ukulele enthusiast. All the best.

Very cool instrument. Should have appeal to uke players and mando players.

Maybe with some experimentation with string gauges would allow you to post alternate tunings for it?

Wow! That's beautiful and I love the sound! Anyone here have an 8 string uke who can tell us how this compares?

I uploaded a few videos of my friend playing the mandoquin. Just thought I would share them with you. Thanks!

Last edited:
I wouldn’t call it a big difference. Mainly neck width and a more guitar/ukulele shaped neck. And proper compensation on the bridge saddle.

That's a gorgeous instrument with a distinctive voice. Hope you make some smaller ones.

Top Bottom