Kamaka or Kanile'a?

mossyoak

Reaction score
What should I get?

For the same money, Kanile'a should feature better looking wood (curly koa) than the Kamaka (plain koa). Kanile'a also has a mirror gloss finish compared to Kamaka's non-grain filled gloss finish (which is better looking is entirely dependent on who is looking at it).

It's debatable which brand has better overall sound. From what I've tried I believe they are in the same class as far as sound and playability is concerned. Of course, Kamaka has the greater name recognition and will hold its value better. Both are great brands. Get the one that suit your desires better. I think it basically comes down to the Kamaka name versus the better looking curly koa of Kanile'a.

This is actually a pretty tough choice to make if you don't get to play them in person.

This kind of demonstrates what I'm talking about regarding the Kanile'a's koa appearance. The pictures below is a Kanile'a super-soprano. It costs slightly more than the going rate for a Kamaka soprano, but it features some curly koa that looks 3D:

278394535.jpg

278394534.jpg

278394533.jpg

I do think the Kamaka name is worth something, that's why I think it's a tough choice between the two. But going strictly on visual appearance (Kanile'a wins) and sound (about the same quality to me), I think Kanile'a comes out ahead.

oooooh i've been eyeing the Kanile'a Po'okela Super Tenor since Aldrine turned me on to the company but i've yet to jam one. I think the answer to this question comes down to budget and of course a feel after playing both. Most people will go with Kamaka because the familiarity but you gotta feel em yourself.

For the look I would go with the kanilea but the name of kamaka is just like uhh.. But the kanilea has a sorta deeper sound then a kamaka. For me I would go with the kanilea for sure

i would go with the kanile'a, i always have a good feeling when i hold one. really depends which one feels and sounds best to u

oooooh i've been eyeing the Kanile'a Po'okela Super Tenor since Aldrine turned me on to the company but i've yet to jam one. I think the answer to this question comes down to budget and of course a feel after playing both. Most people will go with Kamaka because the familiarity but you gotta feel em yourself.

I have been trying to buy the one they had in the museum of making music in Carlsbad but someone with deeper pockets then me snagged it.

I would get a T2 kanile'a in UV tenor or T1 satin S.Tenor, Or a Ko'olau T1. To me the kamakas are just not worth the money, or the time to find a good one.

I second Kanile'a. They are both great brands, but the Souza's are great people and Joe is really pushing teh envlope with uke bracing and finishes. They have a relationship with Taylor Guitars and use the same UV cured finish, whichis unique inthat it gives you that Nitro look but it is thinner and more durable, and better for the environment that traditional lacquer.

M Kanile'a is fantastic. Also, there is no upcharge for many options (although there is for some, even if they are small) ...if you buy a K2 for example, you can have it custom built to your specs...not so with Kamaka. Just go to the Kanilea website and see what is available...it is amazing. I chose a K2 tenor with full Mango body and soundboard, mahagony neck, slanted Strat-style headstock, black nickel tuners, black binding and ebony bridge and fretboard. I would not have been able to get anything this unique in a Kamaka. You have to wait a month or two, but its worth it to hae the only one of its kind in the world! Unfortunately, Kamaka no longer accepts custom orders.

For the same money, Kanile'a should feature better looking wood (curly koa) than the Kamaka (plain koa). Kanile'a also has a mirror gloss finish compared to Kamaka's non-grain filled gloss finish (which is better looking is entirely dependent on who is looking at it).

It's debatable which brand has better overall sound. From what I've tried I believe they are in the same class as far as sound and playability is concerned. Of course, Kamaka has the greater name recognition and will hold its value better. Both are great brands. Get the one that suit your desires better. I think it basically comes down to the Kamaka name versus the better looking curly koa of Kanile'a.

This is actually a pretty tough choice to make if you don't get to play them in person.

well for one, not everyone will prefer curly koa over reguler koa, but i do think its nice which is why i have a Kamaka with curly koa. Also why many others have Kamaka's with curly koa.

And i think kamaka's outside of maybe an applause(the koa one) has the nicest ukulele's. as for sound they are def. on the same level, but Kamaka's i think are a little bit more higher up there. Just my opinion.

I have a tough time going with Kanile'a because they are such a young campany in comparison to Kamaka. Also, I don't like the open style tuners on the Kanile'a. And whoever was wonderring, I am looking to get another tenor.

I have a tough time going with Kanile'a because they are such a young campany in comparison to Kamaka. Also, I don't like the open style tuners on the Kanile'a. And whoever was wonderring, I am looking to get another tenor.

There are Kamaka's w/ closed tuners there just harder to come by because they stoped making them.

Last edited:
do they make Kanile'a's (?) with closed tuners?

Top Bottom