PDA

View Full Version : How Many Bring Their Ukulele To Work?

Uke Republic
08-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Well I'm surrounded by ukuleles all day and couldn't imagine being without at least one. Do you have a ukulele(s) at work?

JonThysell
08-09-2013, 07:26 AM
I keep one ready in my office shelf and I always carry another in my car.

kleblanc
08-09-2013, 07:28 AM
I always have one in my car since I spend so much time waiting at clients, sometimes as much as an hour. That's great practice time.

coolkayaker1
08-09-2013, 07:32 AM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?59847-Does-anyone-else-keep-a-Uke-at-work&highlight=work

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?65375-Do-you-get-to-take-your-Uke-to-Work&highlight=work

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?38406-no-ukeing-at-work&highlight=work

Good question, Mike. Great to ask again. A search of UU does show at least a dozen threads on uke at work, or variants (like Eugeneuke's thread on should he uke first day at new job...lol). Three of the longer ones are linked above.

connor013
08-09-2013, 07:32 AM
I run the uke club at school, so yeah, we have a few lying around.

The killer was last semester I had a prep last block of the day in my room -- unheard of in our school! -- so the kiddos' papers were often late getting back.

Jon Moody
08-09-2013, 07:34 AM
I have my Kala Bocote Tenor, Lanakai Elderly Instruments 40th Tenor and a Charango in my office.

I also work at GHS Strings, so it would be out of place if I DIDN'T have any instruments here..!

cua94
08-09-2013, 07:58 AM
I bring mine from home when I am working with my fellow players and we jam at lunch. Also, since I am a librarian, I use it for storytime.

bnolsen
08-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Have a fluke sitting here. Also a schoenhut flake for now as well...

janeray1940
08-09-2013, 08:11 AM
I work from home mainly, and my desk is directly under the shelves where my ukuleles live. I astonish myself at my self-discipline constantly: rarely do they come out of their cases during the actual work day :)

Pueo
08-09-2013, 08:20 AM
I have a Mainland Gecko in my desk drawer. I often bring a more playable ukulele if I feel like taking a walk to the beach or park at lunch.

Tele295
08-09-2013, 09:25 AM
I did yesterday, and played some at lunch

PereBourik
08-09-2013, 09:29 AM
I keep two or three at the office: Lanikai Pineapple, Luna Tattoo, and Flea. I'll throw the Flea in the car if I think I'm going to have to kill some time along the way.

fernandogardinali
08-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I like to carry my Tom sopranino around because it fits on my backpack.

My day is very long, I work during the day and study at night, so I'm out of home from 8:30 am until 11:30 pm.

kvehe
08-09-2013, 10:22 AM
I have a green Dolphin in my office.

mattydee
08-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Sometimes...

As a professional actor, my workplace changes every 8 weeks or so, and the nature of the work changes too, so sometimes I'll bring a uke to the rehearsal hall if it looks like I'll have long breaks in the day, and I'll often keep a uke in the dressing room once we're in performance, to play between shows and whatnot. For the gig I'm on right now, I have little stage time, and housing is only five minutes away, so it's generally not worth it to bring the uke to rehearsals.

If I'm lucky, I've convinced the director to have a uke in the show, so I have to bring it to work!

Venneman
08-09-2013, 10:37 AM
I took mine to work yesterday, with the intention of leaving it alone except for breaks and lunch.

That soooooooo didn't happen!

While talking on the phone with someone, the person asked if I was at a rehearsal, she kept hearing what sounded like a really high-pitched guitar. I had picked the uke up and was absently strumming at my desk.

Uke is at home today. It's for the best.

Mandalyn
08-09-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm a preschool teacher, so I find a reason to use it at work. I also play it on my breaks.

gtomatt
08-09-2013, 11:35 AM
It's good to have toys in the office. My uke for lunch break, my liitle reef tank to stare at during con calls....

Venneman
08-09-2013, 11:43 AM
I want to work where you work, GTO! I can't have any living thing other than two plants. Maybe that's because this place sucks the soul out of people...

devvyleys
08-09-2013, 12:07 PM
I keep all my ukes at work... Of course, I'm a stay-at-home mom so the truth could also be said that I never leave my work!

pootsie
08-09-2013, 12:37 PM
I (usually) have my Mahalo crappocaster hanging on the wall at work

We had a fire drill a couple weeks ago (25-story buildings hold a lot of people) so I entertained the folks in my section while we waited for the all-clear. My co-worker posted a picture on FB:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1069821_10151819918731908_32467334_n.jpg

I have had it at home for the past few days intending to lower the bridge a smidge, and the hook in my office wall looks very lonely

mascompro
08-09-2013, 12:49 PM
I keep pineapple at the office, I pick it up most days, can't imagine not having it there.

gyosh
08-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I keep the Kala in my classroom and sometimes bring something nicer when I know for sure I'll have time to play for a while.

greenie44
08-09-2013, 01:28 PM
I took mine to work yesterday, with the intention of leaving it alone except for breaks and lunch.

That soooooooo didn't happen!

While talking on the phone with someone, the person asked if I was at a rehearsal, she kept hearing what sounded like a really high-pitched guitar. I had picked the uke up and was absently strumming at my desk.

Uke is at home today. It's for the best.

I work out of a home office, with my 6-string tenor Lanikai within arm's reach at all times. Half the rest of my ukes are in cases behind me, so easy access there too. I don't necessarily play much during any particular day, but conference calls are a prime time for playing around, with the phone on mute.

The other day I was on a conference call and playing away, when a call came in on my home line. I took the phone off mute and handled the call and came back to the work call. And forgot to press mute before hitting some heavy practicing on a Television song called The Grip of Love. Within a couple of minutes, a pissed off voice on the phone demands that "Who ever is playing guitar should stop it NOW". I went on mute, completely innocent - I wasn't playing guitar, must have been someone else.

Nickie
08-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Every day....it's part of my nursing equipment....music therapy....

Tailgate
08-09-2013, 01:47 PM
It's good to have toys in the office. My uke for lunch break, my liitle reef tank to stare at during con calls....

gtomatt, your reef tank reminds me of my old hobby 12 years ago..saltwater tanks. At least there is resale value in ukes... hard to try to sell a $100 deceased Butterfly fish. Tried as I could to keep everyone alive and well (spent a ton of money), saltwater tanks are tough (and did I say, Expensive?) Keep on uking'

JulianUker
08-09-2013, 01:54 PM
I don't keep one in the office but will bring one in occasionally. A coworker also plays and we'll bring the ukes in and play when we're not that busy.

hammer40
08-09-2013, 02:56 PM
I've been looking for a 2nd or blem (solid wood) to buy to keep at work. Maybe I'll just get a lam instead though, less to worry about.

PeteyHoudini
08-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Yep, I'm keep my Martin S-O at work on stand-by for relaxing in the park at lunch with a ginger ale.

Petey

allanr
08-09-2013, 04:29 PM
I keep a beater at work all the time

Walden
08-09-2013, 06:54 PM
I don't always, but I'll take the ukulele about anywhere that I might have time to play without it being a disturbance, even to the doctor's office. The banjo uke is especially popular with the older generation around here, and I'm generally asked to play whenever I visit the nursing home.

ichadwick
08-10-2013, 03:22 AM
I work from my home. I bring my ukes - all of them - to my office every day!

Bao
08-10-2013, 03:30 AM
I'd bring it any chance I get! Except for when I'm already carrying heavy stuff like at University

Wongo
08-10-2013, 04:07 AM
I use my ukulele to start and finish each drama session I teach. It's a great way to tune the children in from the beginning of the lesson. I also do random sing alongs every opportunity I get. It's great because the kids ask me to do songs I wouldn't of tried had they not.

bassballz
08-10-2013, 06:12 AM
I keep one on hanging on the wall next to my desk... I can grab it and strum a few bars when things get a bit stressful or just to simply break up the monotony of the day.

teruterubouzu
08-10-2013, 08:09 AM
I (usually) have my Mahalo crappocaster hanging on the wall at work

We had a fire drill a couple weeks ago (25-story buildings hold a lot of people) so I entertained the folks in my section while we waited for the all-clear. My co-worker posted a picture on FB:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1069821_10151819918731908_32467334_n.jpg

I have had it at home for the past few days intending to lower the bridge a smidge, and the hook in my office wall looks very lonely

I love that one of your co-workers gave you a tip!

No ukes at my work. It just wouldn't go over well.

CTurner
08-10-2013, 08:35 AM
I tried to take and keep one uke at work, my office at school. But it just never sounded or felt right. All my ukes sound great at home.

Walden
08-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Especially if you work in a machine shop!

pootsie
08-10-2013, 01:21 PM
I love that one of your co-workers gave you a tip!

$1 for about ten minutes of busking. Not bad for a beginner!

Ukejenny
08-10-2013, 08:34 PM
I keep all my ukes at work... Of course, I'm a stay-at-home mom so the truth could also be said that I never leave my work!

I'm at home too, with some music lessons on the side and a few visits to schools to do woodwind work. So, I have my ukulele around a lot of the time. The more I play, the more I don't regret the housework not getting done.

I taught band/elementary music for 14 years and I could just shoot myself for not discovering the ukulele back then. It would have been so much fun for the kids. For me!

I have a long wait in car line for my kids, so I started bringing a ukulele with me to pass the time. Great practice time.

TCK
08-10-2013, 08:50 PM
I have four in my classroom, not counting the ones the kids bring. Lunch time jams are great-even if I gotta teach them Taylor Swift songs (sigh)

drbekken
08-11-2013, 01:43 AM
I'm a lecturer/teacher in the music dept of a University College. I have a couple of ukes, a guitar, a piano, a couple of accordions, harmonicas, percussion stuff and a big, fat stereo in my office....and a killer computer with a monster screen and speakers. The office is sound proof, so I may crank it up too....WAY up. I'm privileged, that's for sure!

therinkydinktink
08-11-2013, 03:48 AM
I work from home and it's a very short ride on my desk chair to my concert uke!

Tsani
08-12-2013, 07:14 AM
I bring my uke to work occasionally. I used to do it all the time. I have a couple of hours in the evening that should be prime practice time after most people go home. ...Then I got a new boss. :uhoh:

UncleElvis
08-12-2013, 07:33 AM
For my main-paying job, I HAVE to bring one! *grin* It's the only tool I have to have!

For my other job, I always have at least one, lately it's been my sopranino, Blanket.

blue_knight_usa
08-13-2013, 04:02 PM
I do the same thing.

I always have one in my car since I spend so much time waiting at clients, sometimes as much as an hour. That's great practice time.