Stew-Mac uke

Radio Flyer

Reaction score
has anyone built one of these? they look appealing to me as a starter kit. i know it's probably pretty basic for some of you but i've never tried to build an instrument.

has anyone built one of these? they look appealing to me as a starter kit. i know it's probably pretty basic for some of you but i've never tried to build an instrument.

I started with the stew mac kit, because it was enough to learn what goes into a uke but not too much to be overwhelming. It was my first instrument too. I got the video with the kit and recommend that. I am now on my 4th "from scratch" uke, and do some things differently now but the kit starts with the basics and then you can improve your skills from there.

Warning: it can be addictive...especially when you start looking at the other custom builds...

Anne Flynn

The StewMac kits are an excellent way to learn about uke building. If you download the instructions from their online catalogue it will give you an idea of what is involved. I've made several and the quality was very consistent. They all sounded great.

What Anne and John said! An excellent introduction to building and with a little care and patience you will end up with an instrument that would otherwise have cost at least twice what you paid for it. Solid mahogany too, not laminate.
Highly recommended.

Top Bottom