Best Sound hole / Sound port for microphone use?

anthonyg

Reaction score
Hi all. Has anyone contemplated/built a ukulele specifically with microphone use in mind? The big sound hole in the front can be susceptible to feedback in a live performance situation. I figured that a very small hole/holes in the front with a side port is the way to go yet I have a couple of these instruments and while I like the sound it is very much a strong mid range sound. Very rock and roll. The traditional front sound hole gives a much more open sound.

Is it just a question of the size of the holes or is there more to it than that. Would more side holes do the trick to open the sound up.

Any advices is much appreciated.

Anthony

Small sound hole lowers the pitch,

Bigger sound hole raises the pitch.
_________
Have you actually had trouble with feedback? Was it in a pub with a stoned/drunk PA guy at the wheel???

Actually most of the time I'm my own sound guy. I have a Meridian Pro microphone which I mount myself on the ukulele and I've noticed the feedback varies between instruments. Actually, when I've used my Audix VX5 microphone on a stage the feedback has been a little better than with the Meridian pro. I know that with steel string guitars they have a habit of plugging the sound hole to reduce feedback. I'm not sure how a ukulele with no sound hole/port would perform.

And yes, often when you perform you are at the mercy of a sound guy of less than stellar experience or one that just doesn't care. I'm contemplating having an instrument built that will improve my odds.

Since I wrote the original post I thought that maybe just a LOUD instrument would do the trick. Louder source = less gain on the microphone = less feedback.

Anthony

Top Bottom