Question and help about guitar to ukulele chords

BIGDB

Reaction score
So I've been messing around trying to figure out guitar to ukulele chords but when ever I'd play an A on guitar it didn't sound like an A on the ukulele but the A chord on the ukulele always sounded like an E on the Ukulele A B C D E F G
Guitar E F# G A B C D

guitar. So I took the A chord on the ukulele and put the E for guitar under it and added each chord. So the B on the ukulele sounds like a F# on the guitar etc. does this make sense to anyone else? I know they're not technically right but it sounds right to me. Does it to anyone else? I'm not sure if this topic has come up before or anyone has tried these chords before but I thought id ask

Sorry about the paragraphs being split I wanted to line up the chords

Thanks

Last edited:
Put a capo on the 5th fret of your guitar and it will finger chords identically to your 'ukulele, Big DB. The guitar is open tuned DGBE. The ukulele is tuned GCEA. The G on the 'ukulele is reentrant, meaning the G on an ukulele is an octave higher. This confuses guitar players who finger pick. Here's the chord chart for an ukulele:

http://ukuleletonya.com/files/beginner_lesson_pkg.pdf

An A on a guitar will work the same as an A on an 'ukulele

Last edited:
Yes. You are discovering that:

- If you are a guitar player, the fingerings for the chords on the guitar match the fingerings for the baritone uke, which is DGBE - G - tuned.
- Those same chord shapes exist on GCEA uke tuning, but the names are down 5 steps.

I came from the guitar, then to the baritone uke. I'm now playing a soprano, and I'm not learning new chords. I'm simply calling them a different name on the soprano. Works for me.

Top Bottom