Big Practice Amp

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was shopping for the perfect amp to learn on. I found many "practice amps" at prices as low as $50 used. I found the price, size, and most importantly the weight of them appealing. Then I found a guy trying to sell a Peavey Max 112 on Craigslist. He wanted a bit too much for it. It didn't sell. Then he tried to sell it on ebay....it didn't sell there either. He happens to live locally. I beat him down to $65 and now have a 38 LB beast in wonderful condition. It is highly unlikely that I will ever need another bass amp....for the price of a cheap little practice amp. The weight? Yeah, it's heavy, but the sound? Oh yeah.

Great price. I've been looking at them. Is this the newer 200W model? The 12" speaker handles the lows really well?

No, it's the old 40W one, but it's all I'll probably need. Those new models have a lot more features. Tuner, more power, more controls, etc. At $65, I can afford to dump this and upgrade if I ever need to. I was originally going to get the Carvin MB10 at 23 lbs and 250W...enough to drive an extension. $300+ a little much at this stage. If my rotator cuffs don't improve, I may still end up with one if I ever learn to play well enough, Maybe I'll get the MB12...not a whole lot heavier.

The weight is a big issue for me also. Went to Sam Ash and played some on the floor. Unfortunately the 10" lighter weight units just didn't get the good bass sound. Tried a GK 12" unit that sounded good and weighed only 28lbs, but I don't want to spend $400. There are other 12" models out there at lower cost, but higher weight. Just wondering if most 12" units will supply the bass. I know 15" speakers will do it, but I definitely don't want that higher weight (and cost).

The weight is a big issue for me also. Went to Sam Ash and played some on the floor. Unfortunately the 10" lighter weight units just didn't get the good bass sound. Tried a GK 12" unit that sounded good and weighed only 28lbs, but I don't want to spend $400. There are other 12" models out there at lower cost, but higher weight. Just wondering if most 12" units will supply the bass. I know 15" speakers will do it, but I definitely don't want that higher weight (and cost).

I just read some stuff online, talkbass?? Seems like a lot of guys who don't need a huge stage rig are jumping on those 12" amps. Some of them can deliver, especially those Carvins..very underrated.

I just played some ukes through it and with some adjustments, don't sound half bad, especially if you are just jamming or playing in a large group.

Top Bottom