PDA

View Full Version : Big Practice Amp

PhilUSAFRet
08-11-2013, 02:47 AM
I was shopping for the perfect amp to learn on. I found many "practice amps" at prices as low as $50 used. I found the price, size, and most importantly the weight of them appealing. Then I found a guy trying to sell a Peavey Max 112 on Craigslist. He wanted a bit too much for it. It didn't sell. Then he tried to sell it on ebay....it didn't sell there either. He happens to live locally. I beat him down to $65 and now have a 38 LB beast in wonderful condition. It is highly unlikely that I will ever need another bass amp....for the price of a cheap little practice amp. The weight? Yeah, it's heavy, but the sound? Oh yeah.

Magoosan
08-12-2013, 06:18 AM
Great price. I've been looking at them. Is this the newer 200W model? The 12" speaker handles the lows really well?

PhilUSAFRet
08-12-2013, 02:25 PM
No, it's the old 40W one, but it's all I'll probably need. Those new models have a lot more features. Tuner, more power, more controls, etc. At $65, I can afford to dump this and upgrade if I ever need to. I was originally going to get the Carvin MB10 at 23 lbs and 250W...enough to drive an extension. $300+ a little much at this stage. If my rotator cuffs don't improve, I may still end up with one if I ever learn to play well enough, Maybe I'll get the MB12...not a whole lot heavier.

Magoosan
08-13-2013, 06:30 AM
The weight is a big issue for me also. Went to Sam Ash and played some on the floor. Unfortunately the 10" lighter weight units just didn't get the good bass sound. Tried a GK 12" unit that sounded good and weighed only 28lbs, but I don't want to spend $400. There are other 12" models out there at lower cost, but higher weight. Just wondering if most 12" units will supply the bass. I know 15" speakers will do it, but I definitely don't want that higher weight (and cost).

PhilUSAFRet
08-13-2013, 07:51 AM
The weight is a big issue for me also. Went to Sam Ash and played some on the floor. Unfortunately the 10" lighter weight units just didn't get the good bass sound. Tried a GK 12" unit that sounded good and weighed only 28lbs, but I don't want to spend $400. There are other 12" models out there at lower cost, but higher weight. Just wondering if most 12" units will supply the bass. I know 15" speakers will do it, but I definitely don't want that higher weight (and cost).

I just read some stuff online, talkbass?? Seems like a lot of guys who don't need a huge stage rig are jumping on those 12" amps. Some of them can deliver, especially those Carvins..very underrated.

PhilUSAFRet
08-20-2013, 04:21 AM
I just played some ukes through it and with some adjustments, don't sound half bad, especially if you are just jamming or playing in a large group.