Forearm pain

CharlieDog

Reaction score
I have a tenor fluke which I absolutely adore but....the bottom edge and sometimes the pointy end on the base dig into my forearm. Maybe I'm holding it too hard, but that's how I hold it. This is probably compounded by my desire to fingerpick at or over the fingerboard because i like the tone.

Any ideas about something relatively unobtrusive that will pad my forearm without looking too ugly or deadening the sound.

A strap? Might that solve it, even in sitting.

I also have a tenor fluke and that was something I noticed about it immediately after getting it was the edge was sharp feeling against my forearm. I don't understand why they didn't make the top flush with the edge so this wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Some activities require guards on various parts of the body. I have long thought that the sharp edge of a uke demanded an arm guard which would keep the sharp edge from eating the underside of the forearm. Leather on the arm would transfer its merit to any ukulele you played. A wooden device on a ukulele would probably only help one ukulele Two pieces of hook and loop fastener would make it adapable for changes in your size, and changes in what you wear during a performance. Let me know if you want to see some pictures of ones I have built.

I would love to see your pictures!

I thought of using a bow hunting arm guard, and a foam forearm brace from a drug store.

I also used to use a split foam bendable hair curler on my banjo.

A wooden arm guard would be a much more elegant solution. Since the Fluke has a straight edge it probably wouldn't be all that difficult.

Some activities require guards on various parts of the body. I have long thought that the sharp edge of a uke demanded an arm guard which would keep the sharp edge from eating the underside of the forearm. Leather on the arm would transfer its merit to any ukulele you played. A wooden device on a ukulele would probably only help one ukulele Two pieces of hook and loop fastener would make it adapable for changes in your size, and changes in what you wear during a performance. Let me know if you want to see some pictures of ones I have built.

I have to use a strap with my Tenor otherwise I crease my forearm badly. There's a reason some makers like Kanil'a are doing the chamfered arm rest edges.

Top Bottom