Hawaii vacation (buy or bring uke)

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
I am going to Kauai for a one week vacation in September. I definitely want to have a uke when I am there but I am not sure which one to bring or if I should buy one there. My current ukes are; (1) Ono Mango concert, (2) Pono RT-PC C, (3) Favilla Baritone. I would love to have the Pono with me since I like the Tenor size the best, it has a low G on it, and just seems the most versatile overall. But bringing a tenor on a plane seems a little annoying and traveling with a nice solid wood uke also seems like it might not be a great idea.

It would also be fun to pick up a uke in hawaii as a souvenir. But I don't really need another one and I can only afford to spend ~$300.

I just sold a kala solid top/laminate sides tenor which was probably a dumb decision (I should have sold it after the hawaii trip).

Any advice on what to bring / buy? I also welcome suggestions about what to do in Kauai. Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't know man - I was just in the same situation, although in Oahu and for a bit longer. I took a uke with me, one that I needed to bond with more. The bonding worked, and I didn't buy another uke while I was there (although I did order one online).

The uke I took was a Kanile'a Super Tenor, with no problems on the plane or having there. I'd say take one, especially if you don't 'need' another one.

The "Grand Canyon" of Kauai is a nice trip and a nice sight. I loved taking a snorkeling trip off the Napali Coast, one which also pulled up close to Ni'ihau. Both of these are on the west side of the island.

Lots to do in Kauai if you have never been. Definitely go see Aldrine play at the Oasis on the Beach on Wednesday. It's a nice place for dinner, too.

As far as uke shopping, I was disappointed. The stores are open for seriously, like 4 hours a day. The selection was much less than I was expecting (since it is Hawaii and all). Plus, if you go to certain stores you will be "educated" on how "great" Kamoa ukuleles are. Craigslist.org might be a good option. I didn't have time to look into Pawn shops. I think I counted 4 music stores on the island, 3 of which were primarily ukulele; but to be honest I wasn't on the hunt for one. WickedWahine11 is a Kauai expert, reach out to her for advice. :)

Good luck, you will love Kauai if you want to relax. If you are looking to club and party all night it will not be your scene.

I would bring one...there are only a couple of uke stores in Kauai and you shouldn't have a problem bringing it on the plane.

I second the idea about Aldrine's show.

Are you planning on staying on the North Shore, South Shore or Eastside? I am happy to help with recommendations for the South and East but I don't visit the North Shore too often...

Yes I'd Bring a uke but always keep an eye open in the pawn shops for deals.....or maybe check out the uke shope too...:)

Excellent. Thanks for all the help. I guess I will bring the Pono Tenor. Relaxing is definitely what we are looking for as I will be going with my pregnant wife and retired parents.

We will be staying on the south side in/near Koloa so south and eastside recommendations would be great.

Bring one.

Chicken in a Barrel in Kapa'a
Kauai Coffee Plantation tour - all the free coffee you can drink (n a sample size cup, unltd refills)

Excellent. Thanks for all the help. I guess I will bring the Pono Tenor. Relaxing is definitely what we are looking for as I will be going with my pregnant wife and retired parents.

We will be staying on the south side in/near Koloa so south and eastside recommendations would be great.

In Kapa'a and Lihue on the Eastside...good Mexican food at Monicos Taqueria and if you are a member of Costco bring your card. If you feel adventurous, get a tattoo at Little Tsunami (I highly recommend Acacia). Brick Oven Pizza is good (but if you don't mind the drive go to the Kalaheo one on the Southwest side of the island). The cheapest souvenirs are at Walmart, the best burgers around are at Duane's Ono Charburger in Anahola - go for the Local Boy with pineapple. And stalk Kmart for the malasada lady - they are super yummy but she is tough to find. Also, at Gaylords at Kilohana they have free rum tasting everyday at the Koloa Rum Company.

On the South side (my fave part!) check out Keokis Paradise for a frozen mai tai, they are to die for. Both Roys and BeachHouse are nice dinner spots. It is also nice to stop by Spouting Horn, it is scenic and there is a bit of shopping there. The tree tunnel on the way to the South Shore is lovely as well.

If you want to buy koa (non uke related) the Koa Store has locations in both Koloa and Lihue and they are WAY cheaper than Martin and Macarthur - I bought koa paddles, a koa jewelry box and koa pen from them in the past.

And as stated above, head to Oasis at the Waipouli Beach Resort on Wednesday at happy hour for a good show. :)

If you get a chance, be sure to see Waimea Canyon and the NaPali Coast - they are both stunning. If you are not afraid of heights, the Garden Island is a great spot for a helicopter tour.

Last edited:
for $300 you could get a Kamoa and have a nice souvenir!

Uke trip!

Already saving for my 2015 Hawaii visit (probably a 'once in a lifetime' trip and I'll be buying one when I'm there - along with a new surfboard...... :D

I can't believe Scotty's Music iin Kalaheo hasn't been mentioned! Great store for ukes...with a large selection. About 15 minutes drives from where you're staying. I took a uke over with me but bought a gorgeous Kanilea (very pricey) tenor and had Scotty ship it back to me in Seattle.

Have fun!

paul

I had a lot of fun in Kauai. We stayed on the North shore near Hanalei. I loved just sitting out in the bay. I took a kayaking trip up the river and that was really fun and "relaxing". I wish I would have gotten better recommendations for food when we went. I felt we were gouged every time we ate dinner. I did like Bubba Burgers though.

I can't believe Scotty's Music iin Kalaheo hasn't been mentioned! Great store for ukes...with a large selection. About 15 minutes drives from where you're staying. I took a uke over with me but bought a gorgeous Kanilea (very pricey) tenor and had Scotty ship it back to me in Seattle.

Have fun!

paul

did you pay Hawaii sales tax--as you would have if you bought it and brought it home yourself-- doing it that way, Paul?

Ponos are inexpensive at Scotty's Music, so if you want another one, leave yours at home. I have traveled a lot with my Pono, so if you do want to bring it, you will be fine.
I agree about the Malasada lady at K Mart, and the frozen Mai Tais at Keoki's paradise, both are excellent!
I must be the only one who has been to Kauai several times and never seen Aldrine play there - he is always gone whenever I am there it seems.
If you can find it, try to get to Mark's Place in the Puhi Industrial Complex (near Kukui Grove shopping center but more towards Poipu - really good food!).
I love Kauai. Waimea canyon, just the drive alone is gorgeous. Driving through the trees on the way to Princeville. I love old Hawaii, like you see in Hanapepe.
If you really want to be alone, drive out west to Polihale beach - it is a long drive, and then the road turns to dirt the last few miles, but at the end of it you will have a huge deserted beach with a view of Ni`ihau.

It would also be fun to pick up a uke in hawaii as a souvenir. But I don't really need another one and I can only afford to spend ~$300.
With your budget, you're not going to be buying a "K" brand or anything too special that you couldn't get elsewhere/online. So if you just want a souvenir to remember Hawaii by, how about one of those tacky tourist ukes as a wall hanger. :)

Top Bottom