Someone explain the Ibanez hate to me, are their ukes bad?

graybones

Reaction score
Hey guys. So today I was in our local music store for an unrelated reason and decided to check out the ukuleles. I tried all the Kalas and Lanikais they had for under $200 and didn't really love any of them. I noticed an Ibanez on the wall because of its interesting shape, I didn't expect anything out of it because it wasn't a brand I had heard of but gave it a try anyway. I immediately loved how it sounded and had so much fun playing with it. So, I bought it for $179.

When I got home I looked Ibanez up on this forum and found a lot of dislike / contempt for the brand. Now I feel bad about my new ukelele :( Do they make bad ukuleles and I just can't tell because I'm a beginner? Or is there another reason people don't like the brand?

Here is what I got:
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_...2&color=CL01&year=2013&cat_id=3&series_id=143

If you did the Ibanez search of past UU therads, then you know more about the reasons otehrs have given for Ibanez contempt than we do.

I own the exact IBanez concert as you, but maple. I think it sounds lovely--quiet (as are all laminates), but intoned superbly. The resale on them, because of the low initial cost to begin with and the general contempt, is atrocious (but better on eBay that the UU Forum, from those that I have tracked). I'd pick my Ibanez over any Luna, or Lanakai that I have ever seen or played.

If you did the Ibanez search of past UU therads, then you know more about the reasons otehrs have given for Ibanez contempt than we do.

I own the exact IBanez concert as you, but maple. I think it sounds lovely--quiet (as are all laminates), but intoned superbly. The resale on them, because of the low initial cost to begin with and the general contempt, is atrocious (but better on eBay that the UU Forum, from those that I have tracked). I'd pick my Ibanez over any Luna, or Lanakai that I have ever seen or played.
It's good to hear that others have been enjoying their Ibanez ukes. I'm not sure of the reasons, several threads said things like "Ibanez are maligned around here" or "People around here dislike Ibanez" but they don't give a reason. Maybe because they are chiefly a guitar company? For $179 I'm not worried about resale value, but I can see how it would be hard to get rid of one of these if you needed to.

If it feels good and sounds good to you, you can't go wrong at that price. You loved the feel and sound of it and that's what it's all about, right? Enjoy your new uke!
Cheers!

I know nothing about Ibanez ukes (hence I'm qualified to comment on the Internets, right?), but this looks like a very pretty ukulele, and I imagine it has a pleasing mellow sound, and plays very nicely with the Grover tuners and good intonation.

The biggest drawback to ukes like this is the laminated rather than solid wood. It just isn't going to sound as loud and clear as a higher quality, solid wood ukulele. But, ukes are like kids. As long as their parents (owners) love them, that's all that matters. :)

I don't get it either. They look awesome, and I've tried several in stores. They all sounded very nice, and the intonation was on on all of them.

If you like it, it is a good uke.

I imagine that the Ibanez ukes have (or had), like the Cordobas, an issue with quality control. I played several Cordoba ukes at a GC, and ordered one from my local music store when GC couldn't locate the included gig bag after 2 weeks. The one I got is significantly better than any that Guitar Center had. Now, when I got it, I knew next to nothing about ukulele quality. Now that I know something about quality, I feel comfortable in saying that I Got A Good One.

I've had an Ibanez acoustic guitar since the later 70s - the neck was "fixed" once at a local shop - and I say fixed, because the repair failed in under 6 months. (separated about 3 inches from the body). I still have it, and WILL have the neck replaced one day, because that dreadnaught guitar had incredible sound. Maybe someday I can play it again - if not, I'll find someone who deserves a good acoustic guitar, and make him/her happy.

But the only two Ibanez ukuleles I've ever seen in music stores have been dead. No resonance, no response at all when I played them. The strings were probably crap, and the instrument was probably hung on the wall by people who knew nothing about ukes (based on the responses I got when I started asking questions).

So, to answer your question- why no love for Ibanez? Because I haven't come across one that was worth loving. Several of you did, and that, as Robert Frost would say, has made all the difference.

-Kurt​

Nothing better then trying a bunch of ukes and having one jump out as head and shoulders above the rest. At that point brand doesn't matter.
Congrats

Yeah, you guys are right, if I like it that's what matters. The scenario ksiegal laid out makes sense, if their quality is inconsistent I see how people would get fed up with them. Luckily it looks like I got a good one! Have been playing it since I got home and having a blast.

I have owned or played a number of Ibanez guitars and basses over the years.
I think they build some of the highest quality low end instruments on the planet.
I wouldn't hesitate to check out an Ibanez uke. The one you posted is very beautiful.

Enjoy.

One of the most commonly repeated bits of advice here on choosing a ukulele is: "if you can, play before you buy." You did that, and you were lucky enough to find a ukulele that called to you. That's all that matters. Play it, love it, and don't look back.

I'm playing mine now...

That is a very nice looking instrument! I know nothing about these things yet but I imaging something that sounds good to you, you'll play more; so what could be do bad?

My daughter has an Ibanez Ice Man concert. It plays in tune and the tone is good.

i've got an Ibanez plywood guitar and like it. it looks good, sounds good and is overall a quality instrument. i can't imagine me making such an instrument for the $200 that i paid for it. it is not like a Martin but it makes music. your Ibanez uke is, to me, beautiful. you should be proud of it. the japan issue of the same model cost $800. the chinese are sometimes not so careful in their production but overall make a good instrument for the money and if you like it then you got a good one. play on!

There's Ibanez hate?:confused: This is the first time I've heard of it. Maybe I need to get it from under my rock more?

Glad you found a uke you enjoy. It is very pretty. Congrats on your new uke. Well wishes for it to bring you much music making joy.

I've tried several in music stores and think they are fine ukes. Classic ukes? No, but that's ok. I haven't heard a bad sounding one yet and actually covet one of the curly maple concerts. Since I have so many ukes, I'm waiting on a "steal." Those Nyguts should make it sound about as good as it's going to. Maybe, as a project, you can install a bone nut and saddle. I have an Oscar Schmidt OU5 that is somewhat similar in construction and I have been toying with the idea of installing Guadalupe fiber core's. Good luck and enjoy your uke.

Last edited:
Please don't feel bad about your 'uke. You like the way it sounds and you like to play it and that's what matters. I suspect ksiegel probably summed things up correctly, and if so, and you got a "good one," then good for you! I don't know anything about Ibanez but I got a decent Makala Dolphin from Amazon so it happens. Keep enjoying your Ibanez!

Ibanez was my first purchase about a year ago from limited options at local music store. I ddn't keep it long, but not because it didn't play ok.. UAS just hit me very early and I moved on.

2 points from my experience: Resale: I posted in the marketplace with zero response. I would up putting it into to a contest on UU (Free Uke For A Kid) and gave it away. Quality: tons of glue leaked out from the bridge. Noticeable and pretty ugly. Didn't affect playing, but very sloppy.

If yours sings to you, it doesn't make any difference what name is on the headstock! Cheers.. Bob

My issue with them is that as a company they are not very nice to the uke community.
at NAMM they will not talk to anybody who wants to talk about ukes. they see them as a secondary sale item that is ordered with guitars.
I like companies that embrace their uke people, Like Oscar Schmidt.

Top Bottom