Two question about Baritone!

BBJohn

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm wondering what would be the best baritone under $300?
Did some research and found some in this range:

Cordoba 20BM
Koloa KU 550/650
Kala Ka-B, Kala Smhb
Oscar schmidt OU 52/53/55/57/58

Any other suggestions? Tried to find some Pono used baritone but cant find one at the moment :( Wished i fall in love with baritone 2 weeks earlier when the Uke market section had couple nice one for sale XD

And second question, have anyone tried the Lanikai UkeSB Baritone?

http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-LK-BE...=1376259252&sr=1-35&keywords=lanikai+baritone

I believe this is laminated KOA? since it doesnt say Solid anywhere.
Cant really find video/review online. If you tried it before, please share!

Sincerely,
John

The Cordoba Quatro is pretty cool sounding (and looking). Out of your list I'd probably go for the Kala SMHB. The UkeSB bari is OK too, but I'd only go that route if you are really interested in having a pickup (or USB) in it. Based on your list of choices, it doesn't seem that a pickup is really a priority.

The Cordoba Quatro is pretty cool sounding (and looking). Out of your list I'd probably go for the Kala SMHB. The UkeSB bari is OK too, but I'd only go that route if you are really interested in having a pickup (or USB) in it. Based on your list of choices, it doesn't seem that a pickup is really a priority.

Thank Johnny for the quick reply!
I heard the Cordoba Quatro and i actually like the 20BM (warmer tone) better!
haha i actually prefer a pickup so i can use it along with my loudbox mini but its not necessary~
Does UkeSB Bari has the KOA sound? and do they sound significantly better than other bari that i listed, since they are at like ..near $500 price range.

Also, anyone tried the Pono PBO-E before?
I believe it is the previous model of their MBD.
Wondering how is that model and how much does it usually cost?
found couple thread sold about $220-290, have scratches but no cracks. Is that like a normal price for Pono discontinued models?

I have the Cordoba Cuatro - got it from EugeneUkulele - it's really nice. Buy it from Hawaii Music Supply though and they'll do a nice set-up.

I have a Koloa KU650. It is an all solid mahogany uke and has a really nice sound. Put a set of Southcoast strings tuned to Bb and it sounds awesome. Cosmetically, it would not be mistaken for a high end uke, but the sound it great. If you are on a budget, I don't think you can go wrong. If you order from Elderly, it will have a pretty good setup, too, and can return it if you are not happy with it.

There's someone selling a Pono baritone on Ebay in Australia, not sure if he will ship overseas though. It was 350.

Now that I think about it, shipping would be around 50 dollars probaly so disregard my comment LOL

Thank Johnny for the quick reply!
I heard the Cordoba Quatro and i actually like the 20BM (warmer tone) better!
haha i actually prefer a pickup so i can use it along with my loudbox mini but its not necessary~
Does UkeSB Bari has the KOA sound? and do they sound significantly better than other bari that i listed, since they are at like ..near $500 price range.
+

In my opinion the price difference is a result of the technology. Don't get me wrong, its a decent uke, but really in the same ballpark (as far as sound and playability) as most $300 Baritones. It is a laminate instrument, but I think its pretty much impossible to get a solid Hawaiian Koa Baritone in that price range. The reason I said I would go for the Kala Mahogany Baritone is because its solid wood and well constructed. Mahogany and Koa are in some ways similar tonally as well. Not the same, but more similar than koa and spruce, for example. You can always add a pickup later! You might check out the Kala ASAC-B if you want something that has a more "koa" tone.

+

The reason I said I would go for the Kala Mahogany Baritone is because its solid wood and well constructed. Mahogany and Koa are in some ways similar tonally as well. Not the same, but more similar than koa and spruce, for example. You can always add a pickup later! You might check out the Kala ASAC-B if you want something that has a more "koa" tone.

Hmmm, I'm thinking about getting a Pono PBO-E (previous MTD model), it also has the pickup! I can get it for about a little over $300, and i'm wondering if that is going to be the best bang of the buck for bari under $300? A memeber (PhilUSA) confirmed it is :D just looking for more inputs!

I think I'm down to Kala smht, Koloa 650, and Pono PBO-E now!
Which one should be the best one?

It's a little more than your price limit but at $375 for the Pono Acacia or $399 for the Pono mahogany I think the difference is worth saving for. I say that having only compared the Pono to the Kala prior to my purchase of the Pono so I can't speak to the other brands.

It's a little more than your price limit but at $375 for the Pono Acacia or $399 for the Pono mahogany I think the difference is worth saving for. I say that having only compared the Pono to the Kala prior to my purchase of the Pono so I can't speak to the other brands.

haha ya, I'm sure they are very good baritone since i have a Pono ATD :D
But i originally wanted a baritone for like $100-200, since its just for fun. Now raised the budget to $300, dont think i can raise more :(
Prob the next baritone i get i'll look into the 400-700 range ( like pono with pickup)

Of the baritones on your "affordable list", the Koloa is easily the best buy. Only underrated by people who haven't owned or played one for the most part.That 650 is all solid mahogany with a bone nut and saddle. The gloss model is drop dead gorgeous. it's light, resonant and sweet sounding with good projection with a variety of strings. Laminated models or solid topped laminate models have not fared so well. Check out the Koloa 650 on Youtube. If you PM savagehenry, he has some sound clips of that Koloa with different strings, some of which sound better than the one below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiXwYxmU3SY

Last edited:
Of the baritones on your "affordable list", the Koloa is easily the best buy. Only underrated by people who haven't owned or played one for the most part.That 650 is all solid mahogany with a bone nut and saddle. The gloss model is drop dead gorgeous. it's light, resonant and sweet sounding with good projection with a variety of strings. Laminated models or solid topped laminate models have not fared so well. Check out the Koloa 650 on Youtube. If you PM savagehenry, he has some sound clips of that Koloa with different strings, some of which sound better than the one below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiXwYxmU3SY

Thank for the reply again Phil! What would you choose between Koloa 650 and Pono PBO/ MB ?
Does Pono worth an extra 100 dollar? Theres a local shop that has Koloa 650 and Pono MB, I guess ill go to the shop and check it out again tmrw.
But still, let me know which one you guys like better!

And don't forget, MAINLAND has some great ukes including Baritone :p
Just to make your decision harder >:D

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/

They have the option of adding a pickup too.

Oh god, why are you making it even harder :eek:
But ya, always see lots of positive comments about mainland concert/tenor!
And i noticed their model with MISI is only a $100 more, seems a little cheaper than MISI install with HMS~
OH well, glad i'm able to try Koloa 650 and Pono MT tmrw, hopefully i can eliminate some of them :D

Baritone/Cuatro is my preferred instrument, I try to play as many as I can get my hand on lol, but I can only afford to pay so much for a uke at one time so I go the cheaper route, anyways I dont know if you are still considering an Oscar Schmidt or a Lanikai but I have owned several of those ukes and I still have a couple

Lanikai CKB was one of my favorites but I sold it to buy a new guitar, the best thing about it was the matte finish, made it louder than my other ukes and the intonation and sustain were amazing on that uke, that is really the one I would recommend as far as a cheap uke goes.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--LNKCKB

Lanikai SB, I still own, its strung gCEA and it sings nice, has good intonation, decent sustain but not as loud as the CKB,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lanikai-4-S...238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5894f7b306
heres a sound sample I did, I need a new low G though, but you get get a feel for what it sounds like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz4okKvmVmw&feature=youtu.be

Next up are my Oscar Schmidt OU5B models,I had one Koa and now I have a Mango, these are beautiful instruments, and that why they cost just a little bit more than the mahogany ones, to me what sets Oscar Schmidts apart is the neck, if you like it its hard to go back to thinner necks. So as far as playability these are my favorites, the problems with these is the thick gloss finish, I dont know if it was just for the longevity of the instrument or what but it lowers the volume a lot, I can always play through it, its just more work when playing acoustically to be louder. I have an Oscar Schmidt 8 string tenor mahogany that is way louder then the glossy baritones. But sometimes loudness does not always equal better. Also I believe that these are all laminate tops, laminate is consistent if you get a good sounding one it will stay that way, if you get a bad sounding one it will stay that way. The Koa I got was a bad one, so I sold it to get a Mango and the mango one I like, here is a sample of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aymNSe7UIHI&feature=youtu.be

Also the Kala solid mahogany is awesome one that I got a change to play before, it was one that was "broken in" and I loved it.

I have had the Koloa 650 and have a Pono PB and a Lanikai SB, the Pono is the best by far. It is also the most expensive, though you can usually find one used for under 300. paridise-ukulele sells 2nds on ebay and dixie on FMM. I have heard that once their current stock of 2nds is gone they will available only to walk ins [in HI] good luck on your search. I guess you've seen the ones on FMM. I would go for the Pono 1st, then the solid hog Lanikai , then the Koloa. the Koloa prettier, but the Lanikai will play better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom