Multi-colored string set

soupy1957

Reaction score
The Aquila (sp?) set I decided to order, with the low "G" string in it, came in with each string being a different color. What's up with that?
I'm thinking they look kinda cheesy. Your thoughts?

Del Rey uses multi color strings. Not sure of the brand though. But if its good enough for Del...

I bought multi coloured strings, but they were only for my baritone that I keep at home. Never would I put it on my main ukuleles.

i've seen multi colored strings on several pictures of ukes. don't know why, i always thought it was something to do with the chemical makeup of different strings to produce better sound. probably just a sales gimmick.

Just doesn't look very "Professional" is all I'm saying. I'll take a picture when I re-string. Looks kinda "third grade" to me.

Curious as to whom you ordered your strings from? There has been a report of imitation Aquila strings on eBay. Aurora's are mentioned and are silkgut strings that have been colored. Another company who features colored strings is Guadalupe.

Last edited:
I ordered lime green and multicolored strings from Uke Republic, for my daughter and a friend. I thought the mulit-colored strings would be good for a beginner.

That said, if the uke I was playing sounded best with Aquilas, I'd have no problem playing professionally with them. I wouldn't worry about looking "third grade" -- you don't look cool with a uke until you start playing, anyway!

I use multi colored strings to help teach my six year old son.

Seems you got a set of multicolor Aurora strings - which are basically dyed Aquilas.

Depending on what you're up to they can look really cool or be useful (e.g. for teaching kids as mentioned). Some members here have colored ukes with matching strings, just for the looks.
As the colored strings are similar to the white Aquilas I'd say the color is really just fun, not more or less. If you like the Aquila sound the color can make a difference. (I still have a set of lime green waiting to go on my green Flea some time unless I decide to mix them with the red set I also have in my string box....)

According to the Aurora website even some professionals play their coloured strings.

Never seen them, can you post pictures soup? thanks
mk-s_bridge1.jpg

mk-s_bridge2.jpg

Last edited:
I love the multi-colored Aurora (I call them 'Rainbow') strings... and Aurora Strings are great people to work with :)

After seeing a walk-in customer have PuaPua (across the street from International Marketplace) put those on their
"K" brand Tenor, I bought a set for my Kala Soprano Travel uke with spruce top. I practically always get comments, and the comments are usually complimentary :)

I recently bought Aurora 'Rainbows' both from UkeRepublic and Aurora themselves (BOTH great companies and people).

I've been putting them on all my 'players' with great results.

Hey, if they look too juvenile... don't use them.

Personally, I like them. They do stretch, but sound great when settled in.

PS a certain percentage of the population are color-blind, so they won't even notice :) just sayin'.

keep uke'in',

PS please check out my new website (in progress... with a lot of help from ukemunga... a LOT of help)
( ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com ) :)

Last edited:
A uke teacher told me that they were dsigned to help beginners....darn good idea, and I think they look cool!

Top Bottom