John S. Kinnard tenor

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm going to keep my words short about this one and let the pictures do the talking. This past week I took delivery of a new custom tenor built by John S. Kinnard. Here are the specs:

European Spruce top
East Indian Rosewood back, sides, fingerboard, binding, headplate, bridge, end graft, and heel plate
Maple and Ebony rosette and pufling
MOP logo inlay
Peghead tuners
Bone nut and saddle
Southcoast Low G strings

For those of you that have had the good fortune of playing one of the Kinnard "road trip" ukes, you already know the level of quality and craftsmanship of John's ukes. And from all of the feedback that he has received about them, he has made some subtle improvements.

I have had, and or still have , many high end ukes. Run, don't walk, to www.kinnardsukes.com and look into ordering one of these for yourself.

That's a beautiful uke Dana! I'll bet it plays,sounds and feels nice to. It's definitely a high quality build. Congratulations.

Congrats Dana,
Oh man it looks amazing...so happy for you man....looks like a great score....Happy Strummings....

She's a beauty, Dana.

There is one in my future - sorry to say not the near future, but maybe in a year or two...

Play it in Good Health!

(And let me know if you feel like selling a Uke stand, concert size...)

-Kurt​

Thanks Stan and Kurt. She sounds better than she looks, if you can believe it. I am trying to upload a sound sample that Kevin sent me, but so far no go.

Mark, given your affinity for Collings, I know that you would feel right at home playing one of John's ukes.

Dana, your new Kinnard looks awesome! I really like the EIR binding on yours. I think I can imagine how good it sounds, as I play the Kinnard RTU.

Congratulations!

After playing the RTU, there definitely is a Kinnard in my future, too!

Congratulations! That is a beauty and having a Kinnard of my own, I agree with you 100% about the craftsmanship and tone.

Mitch

Dana, your new Kinnard looks awesome! I really like the EIR binding on yours. I think I can imagine how good it sounds, as I play the Kinnard RTU.

Congratulations!

After playing the RTU, there definitely is a Kinnard in my future, too!

Thanks Hodge. I think that the "road trip" uke is infected with some kind of virus. A high percentage of people who play it end up buying one.

Thanks Daniel. Yes, you will get to see what all the fuss is about when the RTU heads back to it's home on the West Coast. Whenever that may be.

Yeah Mitch. I was somewhat torn between the EIR and the walnut at first. Both Craig's and yours look fantastic!

Congratulations on a stunning instrument Dana. That really looks something special. Looking forward to the sound sample mate.

Thanks Jon, and Kevin! I think it's about time that I start recording my own sound samples and videos!

Thanks Hodge. I think that the "road trip" uke is infected with some kind of virus. A high percentage of people who play it end up buying one.

Yes, I was infected too, but now I'm well! : )

Dana, the binding especially is a subtle and lovely touch. I have no doubt your sound sample will be great. I have some Southcoast strings opening up on my walnut and I too will add some sound samples and a review in a week or so.

Congratulations, Dana! How long did the custom take to build?

Yes, I was infected too, but now I'm well! : )

Dana, the binding especially is a subtle and lovely touch. I have no doubt your sound sample will be great. I have some Southcoast strings opening up on my walnut and I too will add some sound samples and a review in a week or so.

Congratulations, Dana! How long did the custom take to build?

Craig,

I contacted Kevin on June 19th and received the uke on August 6th. That is a very fast turnaround for a custom.

I spoke with John for an hour or so about the specifics of what I was looking for in my uke. Then Kevin and I spent a day or two going over the specs for the uke and pricing and John got started on it pretty much straight away. Kevin said that customs get priority in the shop over spec builds.

Beautiful instrument! Congrats!

I was lucky enough to try the Kinnard RTU this summer and was very impressed. Couldn't believe how light it was compared to my other ukes and the tone was phenomenal. I loved it so much I have begun the process to commission one now. Western Red Cedar over Walnut.

Any advice you can give as I begin to work with them? Anything you forgot to discuss beforehand?

Beautiful instrument! Congrats!

I was lucky enough to try the Kinnard RTU this summer and was very impressed. Couldn't believe how light it was compared to my other ukes and the tone was phenomenal. I loved it so much I have begun the process to commission one now. Western Red Cedar over Walnut.

Any advice you can give as I begin to work with them? Anything you forgot to discuss beforehand?

Congrats on your decision to have John build you a custom. Having had a chance to play the RTU, you fully understand what lies ahead of you regarding build quality and tone.

As far as having any advice for you, I would speak with both Kevin and John about what it is exactly that you are looking for in your uke. They are both great guys, very knowledgeable and approachable. I spoke with Kevin more about the tone I was looking for, and John about the construction details and appointments. I have had the uke for about five weeks now and I can honestly say there is nothing that I would change about what I ordered. It continues to open up nicely.

Western Red Cedar over Walnut sounds like a great combo!

Top Bottom