Bad habits ?

Spud1$

Reaction score
I'm wondering if someone would post the bad habits that these posts discuss at times? I've been practicing for five months and mainly learning by the Internet. There is no teacher in the area so it's mostly you tube for me. I keep considering on line lessons but I only have a tablet so I'm not sure if those will work for me. I'm sure I have some bad habits because each you tube tutorial seems a little different even on the same subject. Please tell me what not to do. Thanks

OK here are a few that I have run into. Also this is not meant to be offensive in any way to anybody, playing the uke is really only about having fun, and everybody does that differently! These are in no specific order.

LIST OF BAD UKE HABITS

1) Playing a D major with your thumb (over the top of the fretboard)
2) Strumming only with your thumb
3) Skipping Bb chords in songs
4) Skipping E chords in songs
5) Fingerpicking with your third finger planted on the top
6) Only fingerpicking with thumb, 1st, and 2nd fingers (not using the 3rd)
7) Not learning how to name different chord qualities and what they are
8) Playing the same rhythm for every song
9) Not being able to play the complete song without singing it at the same time
10) Playing slightly out of tune
11) Supporting a lot of the weight of the uke with your left hand while playing (assuming you are right handed)
12) Changing the key of every song to C to make it easier
13) Not playing along with recordings
14) Yanking right hand away from the strings when fingerpicking
15) Not learning the names of chords you play
16) Pressing too hard with the left hand
17) Letting left hand fingers lay too flat and mute strings
18) Not having a good ending to a song (or decently planned intro)
19) Drastically changing left hand position for different chord shapes (especially open vs. barre)
20) Practicing mostly stuff you can do well
21) Strumming with your right hand very "stiff", as opposed to loose and relaxed
22) Having a lot of body tension while playing

Once again, no offense intended, just a few ideas of possible bad habits. Many of these have very little effect on enjoyment of the uke, but may roadblock improvement in some cases. Kind of fun to think about this stuff, and it really reminds me of some problems in my own playing!

Everything Johnny said is good I have a couple to add

1. I know lots of people won't agree with this but it helped me. Do not use tabs. When I played guitar a few years back that's how I learned and it never sounded right. You don't have to listen to that cause I know a lot of people use tabs. It always sounded better for me when I learned it by ear and also later on you can end up doing songs that don't have tabs and arrange your own stuff a lot easier

2. Don't let any tell you "You're doing it wrong" I don't mean to ignore advice but who said there's a right way to do something?

That's all I really have. Check this video out though http://youtu.be/3yRMbH36HRE victor Wooten is a great musician and what he says really relates to all instruments. What he says is kinda out of subject on bad habits but what he says will help your ukulele journey overall

Hope this helps

1. I know lots of people won't agree with this but it helped me. Do not use tabs. When I played guitar a few years back that's how I learned and it never sounded right. You don't have to listen to that cause I know a lot of people use tabs. It always sounded better for me when I learned it by ear and also later on you can end up doing songs that don't have tabs and arrange your own stuff a lot easier

2. Don't let any tell you "You're doing it wrong" I don't mean to ignore advice but who said there's a right way to do something?

That's all I really have. Check this video out though http://youtu.be/3yRMbH36HRE victor Wooten is a great musician and what he says really relates to all instruments. What he says is kinda out of subject on bad habits but what he says will help your ukulele journey overall

Hope this helps

That was interesting. Thanks for the link.

That is a great video, thanks.

Lots of great musicians and teachers, many of them here on UU say there are some rules worth following. While there are many parallels with spoken language, there are a few rules, that if broken, will make learning to play and/or progressing more difficult. Some will get frustrated and quit if they can't figure it out on their own. Some people pickup an instrument and instinctively learn to play it by ear. Even BB King didn't learn chords until his 40's, so there is a lot to this theory, but ultimately, BB did follow a few rules and learn his chords and was able to name the notes he was playing so that he could "play well with others." I have found it difficult to learn music theory and certain playing skills and have benefited from following a few rational "rules." If they help me, great. If someone else doesn't need'em to learn, great. I'm old now, and always and never are words I heed with caution. I do agree with not letting "rules" ruin your creativity. It's just in the degree. I think that between the creativity and the discipline extremes, there is a happy medium for all. As in politics, some will lean more towards the left and some more towards the right. Have fun and play the hell out of that uke.

Last edited:
OK here are a few that I have run into. Also this is not meant to be offensive in any way to anybody, playing the uke is really only about having fun, and everybody does that differently! These are in no specific order.

LIST OF BAD UKE HABITS

11) Supporting a lot of the weight of the uke with your left hand while playing (assuming you are right handed)
19) Drastically changing left hand position for different chord shapes (especially open vs. barre)
21) Strumming with your right hand very "stiff", as opposed to loose and relaxed

Once again, no offense intended, just a few ideas of possible bad habits. Many of these have very little effect on enjoyment of the uke, but may roadblock improvement in some cases. Kind of fun to think about this stuff, and it really reminds me of some problems in my own playing!

Just what I was looking for thanks, also I found Victor Wooten interesting, as far as the nose picking I don't think I can break that habit lol. One more question. I seem to strum more withe the side of my nail is that unacceptable?

LIST OF BAD UKE HABITS

This is a great list. I only have one to add: 23) not determining whether your uke is set up properly.

As some of you may have gathered by now, I am a pretty "play it any damn way you want" kind of guy.... the only thing that I really try to discourage is gripping the neck with your thumb coming around to the top of the fretboard. Keeping your thumb at/near the back of the neck will make things MUCH easier as you advance. Some chord shapes may seem more difficult at first, but keeping your hand at a roughly consistent angle will make chord transitions smoother/faster/better/stronger.

Other than that... go for it.

Just what I was looking for thanks, also I found Victor Wooten interesting, as far as the nose picking I don't think I can break that habit lol. One more question. I seem to strum more withe the side of my nail is that unacceptable?

Nope. If it works for you do it.

I was taking guitar lessons a couple years ago, and struggling to make an "A" chord with all 3 fingers (think "D" on your uke) - my teacher asked if I could cover all 3 strings with 1 finger and make the notes ring. By gosh I could. He said "For the most part it doesn't matter how you do it, just do it so it sounds right." I've been doing it ever since.

Love all the aboves. I just have one nasty to add....

Make sure you are having fun. If you start getting mad at yourself, back off and back up. It will all come together in due time. The journey is the reason why you try, so enjoy it.

Last edited:
Very good list....I might add two more:
failing to practice enough (I fail at this)
and forgetting to BREATHE...my piano teacher reminds me of this all the time....

Re: strumming with the side of the nail. If I'm careless with my strumming, With extended playing, can get an awfully sore finger. MGM had his bleed on occasion.

[...] and forgetting to BREATHE...my piano teacher reminds me of this all the time...

Haha! I'm guilty of the same. I used to play the sax in a local youth orchestra and the section leader/conductor had to keep an eye on me in case I turn blue. After that I learned to mark breathing breaks on my music sheets to remind me to breathe. ;) On the uke, I only do that when I'm learning new chords...maybe I need to jot down breathing breaks on my tab sheet too.

Truthfully, fingering is only "right" or "wrong" in context.

For example, when I play Uncle Rod in C, I play the C before the Cdim with my pinky, which is "wrong" but in context it makes for a smoother transition.

Truthfully, fingering is only "right" or "wrong" in context.

For example, when I play Uncle Rod in C, I play the C before the Cdim with my pinky, which is "wrong" but in context it makes for a smoother transition.

Why do think that is "wrong"?

Why do think that is "wrong"?

Me? I don't think it's wrong. For me, playing that particular transition in that particular context, it's the best fingering solution.

But the "official" fingering is to use either 1 or 3 to play the C chord, depending on which source one reads first.

Top Bottom