Box Bass experiment for uke accompaniment

Timbuck

Reaction score
Before I made Ukuleles one of my many jobs was loudspeaker repairs for large PA Systems and Discos..I was impressed with a certain design of Sub bass bin used by Electrovoice...and for some time now i wondered what a simple stick bass with a folded bass bin would sound like for Ukulele accompaniment at meetings...Now I know.. " it works pretty good" ..Instead of a speaker driver I made a diaphram out of a steel sheet from the sides of an old cooker...The rest of the material was scrap stuff lying around the shed...It was too loud in the house and I had to stuff a pillow into it to play it at a reasonable volume.
Anyway here's a few pic's of it..... it still needs more work and a paint job.

Last edited:
Sound sample?

(you are an amazing man Mr. Timms)

Cool, I wonder if there is a limit to how small that could be and still sound "bassy"? I'll bet it would mic well.

This morning I swapped the metal diaphram for a 3mm thick plastic one and got it to sound better at the top end of the scale...you have to experiment with this serious stuff :rolleyes:..I'm going to try a few different string types next....when I get it to my satifaction I'll post some plans.

A friend of ours built one but bolted a leaver to an upright with one end tied to the string; the other end you press down to change the notes. Then he has a little stand bolted to the side to carry the paper he "calibrates" to notes. He put a laser on the leaver that shines on the paper. Then he uses a tuner to calibrate and mark the notes down on the paper in relation to the laser spots. Works pretty good and at least he gets "close".

Nice, Timbuck. I prefer merembula,though. Being able to sit while playing bass is an awesome advantage!

This morning I swapped the metal diaphram for a 3mm thick plastic one and got it to sound better at the top end of the scale...you have to experiment with this serious stuff :rolleyes:..I'm going to try a few different string types next....when I get it to my satifaction I'll post some plans.

Try a piece of Kevlar yacht braid. It doesn't stretch like regular braided line does.

The traditional Australian box bass string is fencing wire.
The traditional box was a tea chest. Unfortunately they are harder to get these days:(.

Your box looks like it has the external dimensions of a tea chest. Intentional or form following function?

It's now evolved a bit...Styrene sound board, and a rocking bridge to press inwards (instead of pulling outwards) and moving the string closer to the neck (improving the action)...It's sounding so good now that I've decided to make it a three string job :cool: ..this of course! means making another neck.:D

Last edited:
Still needs a little tweaking, maybe a heavier gauge string??....But I thought i show what it sounds like up to now..the volume is giving the camera mic a bit of a hard time...I can actually play tunes on it now..well almost :eek:.

Great sound Tim! From Blues Brothers to skiffle, that'd be a mighty beast to have on your side!

Cool! can you elaborate on the bridge?

Cool! can you elaborate on the bridge?

Not my words... but a description taken from another forum on the build...:) the fulcrum-and-lever arrangement to (I suppose) keep the string closer to the fretless "fretboard" while still applying the string's vibrational energy to the center of the soundboard, whilst designing the fulcrum to rest on the edges of the box so as NOT to interfere with the vibrations of the soundboard. :agree:

Top Bottom