FS: New Soprano Macadamia Wood Ukulele by Black Bear

BlackBearUkes

Reaction score
SOLD

This is another new soprano size uke made of solid Macadamia wood for the body. Very nice shimmering highlights and figure to the wood. The neck is very old wormy (no worms, just holes) Mango wood with a graphite truss rod. Indian rosewood fingerboard and bridge. White plastic dots for the fret markers with white side dots included. Bone nut and compensated saddle. Three maple wood rings for the sound hole rosette. Grover brand chrome friction tuners with smaller, uke friendly plastic cream-colored knobs. Worth brand strings. The playing scale is 13 3/4". There are 12 frets to the body, 15 total. Gloss nitro-lacquer finish with a satin smooth feel. Low easy playing action and a very full rich mellow mahogany quality to the sound. Your complete satisfaction is guaranteed, 2 day trial period or your money back minus shipping costs. No case but I will double box for safe shipping. Made in the USA by Black Bear Ukuleles, labeled, signed and dated. $25 shipping in the USA lower 48 states. Payment by money order, personal check or bank draft only, no Paypal. Email me if you need more information. Thanks for looking.

$550

Attachments

• Soprano Mac 2013-8-12a.jpg
    Soprano Mac 2013-8-12a.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Soprano Mac 2013-8-12b.jpg
    Soprano Mac 2013-8-12b.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Soprano Mac 2013-8-12c.jpg
    Soprano Mac 2013-8-12c.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Soprano Mac 2013-8-12d.jpg
    Soprano Mac 2013-8-12d.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I bought the first macadamia soprano Duane built. Absolutely glorious little uke, pretty much perfect in every department. Not surprised this went so fast. Whoever grabbed it sure is in for a treat.

That is stunning. I'd love to hear a sound sample/comparison with koa.

Absolutely brilliant

That is stunning. I'd love to hear a sound sample/comparison with koa.

Absolutely brilliant

Sorry, don't have the equipment to do quality sound samples but this macadamia wood falls somewhere between Honduran mahogany and Koa to my ear. About the same hardness as mahogany and fairly easy to work with even with all the wild shimmery grain. Sadly, I only have enough wood for 5 or 6 more sopranos and then that's it. I purchased these boards about 15 years ago and they were about 20 years old then.

Sorry, don't have the equipment to do quality sound samples but this macadamia wood falls somewhere between Honduran mahogany and Koa to my ear. About the same hardness as mahogany and fairly easy to work with even with all the wild shimmery grain. Sadly, I only have enough wood for 5 or 6 more sopranos and then that's it. I purchased these boards about 15 years ago and they were about 20 years old then.
Not enough for another Concert ?
Or maybe a long neck soprano with radius fretboard ?
:)

Last edited:
Maybe a concert, but I don't do long neck (concert necks on soprano bodies)) ukes.

Is there any particular reason you don't make a long neck soprano? That's my favorite size uke.
FYI: I'm now the proud owner of the first one you made for Jon...love it!

Is there any particular reason you don't make a long neck soprano? That's my favorite size uke.
FYI: I'm now the proud owner of the first one you made for Jon...love it!

I do not favor longer scale lengths on smaller bodies for a variety of seasons, IMO they seem off balance, head heavy, and the sound has never impressed me enough to want to do it.

I do not favor longer scale lengths on smaller bodies for a variety of seasons, IMO they seem off balance, head heavy, and the sound has never impressed me enough to want to do it.

I agree. I've played a number of super-sopranos and a couple of long scale concerts and they neither look, feel or sound right to me. I just don't get it, probably never will. :confused:

Top Bottom