STOLEN: Martin Backpacker Uke (UK)

AnnaUK

Reaction score
Hey all

Just thought I'd post this here, in the small hope that someone spots this stolen uke on a "For Sale" board somewhere.

I was lucky enough to win the Baron's Blues contest and won his Martin Backpacker uke. Sven from Argapa Ukes had put a new top on it, with an unusual double soundhole, so it's completely unique:

9499151285_1060e8f67d.jpg

9502020306_52b5490ba2.jpg

The Baron shipped this to me recorded delivery, to be signed for. It is NOT his fault at all. The postman left it with my neighbour as I was out. BUT he didn't put a card through my door, so I didn't know the neighbour had it. Unbeknown to me, the stupid neighbour then left the parcel unattended in my back garden while I was out, and by the time I got home it had been stolen.

This was Tues 30 July, in Kent in the south east of the UK.

The police tell me that stupidity isn't a crime and my neighbour is not liable. I have made a complaint to the post office because they should have put a card through my door. They seem to be denying liability as well, saying the parcel was signed for and delivered safely (though not to me).

I very much doubt I'll see this uke again, but if anyone spots it for sale on eBay, Craigslist, Gumtree or similar, please do let me or the Baron know.

I think this must be the only Backpacker uke in the world with the double soundhole, so if it turns up, we'll know it's the right one.

THANK YOU all for the help,
Anna

Attachments

• DV016_Jpg_Large_514504.jpg
    DV016_Jpg_Large_514504.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
What a terrible shame! I can only hope that in spite of the terrible circumstances, this uke brings someone joy. (not the thief however)

And the postal service needs to take responsibility!

Sorry to hear that Anna. I wouldn't let it go with the post office, so what that it was signed for! Not by you and not at your addresss. Did you tell them to leave it with a neighbour? Take it further, I would.

Thanks guys. I agree the Post Office is at least partly to blame. If they had put a card through my door I could have collected the uke from my neighbour's long before he got the great idea to leave it unattended.

I will keep pursuing my complaint and keep you guys posted on how it goes. Keep those eyes peeled :D

Thanks guys. I agree the Post Office is at least partly to blame. If they had put a card through my door I could have collected the uke from my neighbour's long before he got the great idea to leave it unattended.

I will keep pursuing my complaint and keep you guys posted on how it goes. Keep those eyes peeled :D

Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.

Aloha Anna,
That is so unfortunate.....sorry to hear the bad news....I know you was all excited for this uke....I would be too...., you well deserve your prize...
let hope it turns up and probally the kid who stole it....I am most sure it is someone around your neighborhood and it well be a friend of your neighbors
I would persue the post office.....and go a level higher than your district office....good luck girl....

Last edited:
Real sorry to hear about your misfortune Anna. It certainly is unique with that soundhole. I hope that it shows up again for you.

Sorry about your missing uke. I blame the post office and most of all the theif. If I am not home to sign for a package they leave a card and I have to pick it up at post office. I may be in an all out war with my neighbour over his dog barking all night. I would not want the postman to decide who to give my package to if I am not home. Your neighbour made a mistake in judgement. If it is a good neighbour I hope the relationship heals. I hope your ukulele shows up and you can forgive them.
Tom

Sorry about losing your new uke. Hope you get it back.

Thanks guys,

My neighbours are unfortunately the worst kind of people. Lazy, not very friendly and simply don't care about anyone except themselves. But even so, I make a special effort to try to remain on speaking terms with them and be civil and polite at all times. I think after this episode the relationship is beyond repair.

They were incredibly stupidity to leave a valuable parcel unattended. (The guy admitted that he knew it was a uke and therefore valuable, because it was written on the outside of the box.) As Stan says, I've only got his word that he even left the parcel there at all. He could have had something to do with the disappearance himself.

As for the postman, he isn't much cleverer really. Normally, I'd get a card through the door and would have to go to the post office with ID to collect the parcel. I've done it a hundred times before and so was really surprised that this time they decided to leave the parcel at another house.

They are both to blame, but as Consitter says above, you can't fix stupid.

I'll let you guys know if I get anywhere with the post office complaints procedure. Thanks for all the support :)

It's a beautiful uke. I'm really sorry this happened. I hope it works out somehow. :(

Since you did not sign for it, it should be covered by the postal insurance. Make a claim at the Post. The neighbors should have not signed for it if they did not wish to take responsibility. You shouldn't have to seek restitution from the neighbors. Push the Post to being the responsible party.

Good luck on the recovery.

I will keep my eyes open for the ukulele Anna, our postal services are complete tat, they should compensate you for not following procedure, they are liable, be really nice to catch the thief as well, but to be honest the uke will probably take months to surface coz its hot, hope you catch the B#@+*$D

Man that sucks, I will keep a look out.

Sounds like a summer replacement postal worker who did not want to carry the parcel back. August is vacation time. I've had dodgy deliveries during the summer.

Since the item was "stolen" from your neighbour's property, it's still theft and your neighbour should be forced to fill out a police report useful for the insurance. Stealing mail is also a federal offense. He should have to contact his insurance company. Probably, the deductible is higher than the uke value but make that neighbour go through the hassle! You could easily win in small claims court against your neighbour but you'll need the police report. Though, it won't do that good for neighbourly relations. Any half-decent neighbour would pay the value of the uke. Imagine if your neighbour borrows your lawn mower and breaks it or it get stolen, they should offer to replace it.

Good luck!

Petey

Just really sorry to hear this happened. It always strikes me as insane that postal workers will leave a package with a neighbor. Just because someone lives near you doesn't mean they should be allowed to collect your belongings.

I sincerely hope you get your ukulele back.

An update

Hello friends,

A quick update:

Just to clarify, the neighbour left the parcel in my back garden, and I have filled out a police report. I did not leave instructions to leave the parcel with a neighbour, the postman decided to do that on his own.

Parcelforce rang me today to tell me that since the neighbour signed for the parcel, the responsibility was transferred to them the moment they signed for it. Their advice is to raise a civil claim in the small claims court against my neighbour. They have no compensation procedure for anything after a parcel was signed for, (only if a package is lost or damaged in transit before it was signed for).

I will complain to their CEO or equivalent, but I think I will get nowhere fast.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread was to alert the eBay searchers among us in case the thief tries to sell it on. Hopefully I have achieved that aim :)

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, it's much appreciated,
Anna

Aloha Anna,
That sounds ridicious....You mean they said as long as they got even a non authorized signature it was valid....that is poppycock....
I would not persue it with your neighbor though, if it did not get to step one your neighbor, he would have nothing to do with it, theyare passing the buck...it was clearly the post office fault, I am sure if you press harder and go higher you will get good results
I am quite sure the branch is trying to protect their butts on this issue and contain it to the branch, as the person who delivered it and his super will get in deep trouble....

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/poppycock

Last edited:
Don't let them off, as Stan said they're trying to cover THIER cock up. So what they're saying is.... If your not in they can leave stuff with who they want to, as long as its signed for, RUBBISH!!!!!

Top Bottom