Beginner questions I guess...

Jzhengimin

Reaction score
Hi I just started playing ukulele like a week ago and I've been using my roomate's. I now want to buy my own and I was wondering, what's the difference between all the types of ukulele ie soprano, concert, etc? Is there a difference in the strings (not gcea)? Also, what would be some brands to look at in the $40-60 price range? And a side question, what's the right way to strum? I used a pick at first but not anymore and I'm finding it hard to strum down and up with just fingers.

Greetings and salutations. Here's a link to ukulele hunt's article on buying a uke. The rest of the site is helpful too.

http://ukulelehunt.com/buyaukulele/

Kala 15s soprano is a nice uke for $50.

I strum and pluck with my fingers mostly, but I also use my teeth from time to time.

There's no difference in the tuning, but there can be if you want to. The difference is in size and sound. It goes soprano, concert (alto), tenor, baritone.... and perhaps sopranino and bass.

Hi I just started playing ukulele like a week ago and I've been using my roomate's. I now want to buy my own and I was wondering, what's the difference between all the types of ukulele ie soprano, concert, etc? Is there a difference in the strings (not gcea)? Also, what would be some brands to look at in the $40-60 price range? And a side question, what's the right way to strum? I used a pick at first but not anymore and I'm finding it hard to strum down and up with just fingers.

hey one of the accepted ways of strumming the uke is like this:

extend your arm as if you're going to open a door

drop your index finger 90 degrees so it points to floor (the rest of your fingers should still be horizontal).

Move your wrist as if you were turning a door handle and that should do it.

Strumming a uke really shouldn't involve big strokes like a guitar, it's all in the wrist...

As to strings. Yes, there are differences between brands and they can make your uke sound very different. As to whether that is good or bad is a matter of personal taste. You'd do well to try a few and come to your own conclusion.

There are already a number of threads about people's favorites. I like this one in particular as it gives you a range of people's thoughts in matching up a string to an ukulele.

As to your current price range in ukes, I'd also suggest that if you can, you might want to consider budgeting a bit more towards your first instrument. In the case of a musical instrument you tend to get what you pay for. The difference between a $40 uke and one over $100 is going to be pretty drastic in terms of playability and intonation and you'll outgrow it a lot less sooner and spend less time trying to overcome its shortcomings and more time enjoying playing.
What seems to happen a lot is that people will start out with a cheap uke "to try it out" and either get frustrated and give up because it always sounds like poop when they play or end up buying a series of slightly better instruments until they get to a decent one by which time they will have already spent enough money to have gotten themselves an even nicer ukulele if they had just dropped it all at once.

iuh

just for reference, the one im playing right now is a hohner hu212 so i dont know how great that is or not.

the biggest problem im having is that i can strum down fine most of the time, i use my nail on the index finger, but strumming up, my fingers get caught in the strings.

also, my hands are bigger and sometimes i find it hard to play, should i try to go with a different type of ukulele? what are your recomendations?

as for increading my budget, what would be a good ~$100 uke?

on your up strum, try using the top of your thumb...

Strumming

I would suggest using any of the strumming techniques mentioned and also check on youtube on how to strum a ukulele. Lots of stuff out there, but it is going to come down to this... The more times you strum the Ukulele the better your going to get, the more coordinated your going to become and the more muscle memory is acquired. Strumming needs to become as natural and thoughtless as breathing... The more strums you throw out there, the closer your going to get. Even if your strumming with your pinky toe.

Top Bottom