Travel ukes?

ryanshanabarger

Reaction score
So can someone explain the rational behind "travel" ukes? I'm talking about the solid-esque electric ones such as this:

http://ukulelereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/risa-uke-13.jpg

I mean... I think they look really cool - but if the "travel" part is intended to mean "easier to travel with"... then why in the world don't they think about the cables, amp, etc?

A normal soprano uke is smaller, and WAY lighter than one of these travel ukes and a half decent Amp right? What am I missing?

Is this just for people who are going somewhere that has an amp set up already? Seems like a small market.

Oh really?? now thats interesting! If that's true, I can imagine having one in my backpack and playing around between classes...

As an owner of a Uke-stick, I can add that in a very quiet room, I can hear my plucking just fine - exactly like other solid-bodied electric instruments.

I'm loving the Risa sticks, but they are SO pricey. Dont know if I can justify 300 bucks on something just to use between classes.... Not with a Pineapple Sunday at home.

For me, the concept of a 'Travel Uke' would have to be about size and sturdiness.

Granted, a soprano uke is already 'small' but may be fragile, as a box made of thin pieces of wood,
solid or laminate.

Risa Solids, Eleuke's Peanut, etc try to be both small and sturdy, being solid-wood ukes with,
or without headstock. Of course, this probably means cables, amp, batteries, etc.

The Vox model is intriguing with its built-in amp/speaker. Best of both worlds? (size/sturdiness?
although it doesn't appear to be too 'small' :) )

Many have asked, by its very nature/definition, aren't all ukes, esp sopranos, 'Travel Ukes'?
Yes, they are... however, some still want an even smaller size (sopranino?) that's sturdier than
a thin-wood box :)

my 2 cents.

keep uke'in',

PS check out ( ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com ), a collabortive project in progress :)

The Risa stick makes a good travel uke but you do need to take amplification as well as they are fitted with a passive pickup.

The Vox amplug is certainly the most compact solution and a Risa plus an amplug won't take much space in your luggage. If you come across a local open mic, you can plug it in and use it as a normal uke.

I actually took a Marshall MS2 micro amp. Bigger but can be played out. It's surprising how much volume you can get out of those little amps.

I don't see the Risa as just a travel uke, though. I treat mine as what it is, an electric uke and use it with effect pedals to get a variety of sounds.

There are videos on You Tube of Risa sticks being used in performance and they do very well.

Yes, they seem expensive but they are quality and that's what you are paying for. High standard of finish, low action, accurate intonation and a quality pickup. You pays your money...

I have a Kala travel soprano, which I got for a specific purpose - a long and steep hike - and it served that purpose well. It sounded surprisingly good, and even though I am really a tenor guy, plays pretty well too. And the reduced thickness made it easier to have in a back pack, as well as a hardshell carry bag.

I recently got a solid body concert electric uke, and I think this will replace the Kala as my trip uke. It's pretty much a solid piece of wood, and it has a headphone jack that produces acceptable sound with no external amp. Plus, it's way quiet for those early jet lagged mornings, as long as I can keep from busting out into song.

As a solid body, it feels more rugged.

I have a Kala travel soprano, which I got for a specific purpose - a long and steep hike - and it served that purpose well. It sounded surprisingly good, and even though I am really a tenor guy, plays pretty well too. And the reduced thickness made it easier to have in a back pack, as well as a hardshell carry bag.

I recently got a solid body concert electric uke, and I think this will replace the Kala as my trip uke. It's pretty much a solid piece of wood, and it has a headphone jack that produces acceptable sound with no external amp. Plus, it's way quiet for those early jet lagged mornings, as long as I can keep from busting out into song.

As a solid body, it feels more rugged.

Which one did you get?

I travel with my Kala acoustic-electric concert uke. However, I've also taken my Risa soprano "stick". The big advantage of the solid body is its suitability to hotel rooms, or guest bedrooms.

I use the Vox Amplug AC30 and it's awesome. +1 on those!

The Risa stick makes a good travel uke but you do need to take amplification as well as they are fitted with a passive pickup.

The Vox amplug is certainly the most compact solution and a Risa plus an amplug won't take much space in your luggage. If you come across a local open mic, you can plug it in and use it as a normal uke.

I actually took a Marshall MS2 micro amp. Bigger but can be played out. It's surprising how much volume you can get out of those little amps.

I don't see the Risa as just a travel uke, though. I treat mine as what it is, an electric uke and use it with effect pedals to get a variety of sounds.

There are videos on You Tube of Risa sticks being used in performance and they do very well.

Yes, they seem expensive but they are quality and that's what you are paying for. High standard of finish, low action, accurate intonation and a quality pickup. You pays your money...

Lately I have been traveling with my Epiphone Les Paul - heavier, but more durable, and still audible when not plugged in.

I travel with my Gretsch acoustic electric tenor, not solid body. There is a good point to travel with a solid body if you want to play on the plane or somewhere others might not want to hear your playing (I mean who wouldn't want hear a ukulele?). Last year I was on a cruise ship playing on my outside patio when some lady yells "HEY WHOEVER IS PLAYING THAT INSTRUMENT CAN YOU PLEASE
STOP!". My daughter said "Play louder dad, you were hardly playing...that cranky lady"... I put it away for the night and though "if I only had a solid body with me".

That's the only time I ever had an issue. I play in airports and people love it, walking by and smiling, asking me if that is a ukulele...kids love it. However I do think a solid body would be great of hotel rooms, cruise ships, etc... but I can't lug my electric uke...way too heavy and too expensive to risk damaging.

I'm looking at getting one but have not decided which one yet.

I travel with my Kala acoustic-electric concert uke. However, I've also taken my Risa soprano "stick". The big advantage of the solid body is its suitability to hotel rooms, or guest bedrooms.

I've taken my Eleuke Peanut on at least a dozen trips, and have played it on/in planes, trains, and automobiles (ok, so why do we say we're 'on' a plane but 'in' a train/car?). Love it!! It's also my go to uku while watching tv with the hubby. I use the headphones most of the time. Sturdy as all get out, fits under the plane seat, and it's lots of fun. I haven't tried other options tho.

I got a travel soprano from Kala for a recent plane trip, and it was great. Even though a soprano uke is pretty small, with a gig bag it is just big enough that it doesn't fit in my backpack (which also has a tablet and a laptop). A travel soprano uke is thinner, so in a gig bag, it just fits in the backpack. I just leave the top a little bit open because the uke is still a little bit bigger than the backpack. But I flew on JetBlue and had no issues. Even though the uke sticks out a bit from under the seat in front of me, it made it through the trip just fine.

I did have to baby the uke a bit, making sure I didn't step on it during the flight, but overall I was able to travel with just a backpack (uke inside) and a carry on.

I travel with my Gretsch acoustic electric tenor, not solid body. There is a good point to travel with a solid body if you want to play on the plane or somewhere others might not want to hear your playing (I mean who wouldn't want hear a ukulele?). Last year I was on a cruise ship playing on my outside patio when some lady yells "HEY WHOEVER IS PLAYING THAT INSTRUMENT CAN YOU PLEASE
STOP!". My daughter said "Play louder dad, you were hardly playing...that cranky lady"... I put it away for the night and though "if I only had a solid body with me".

That's the only time I ever had an issue. I play in airports and people love it, walking by and smiling, asking me if that is a ukulele...kids love it. However I do think a solid body would be great of hotel rooms, cruise ships, etc... but I can't lug my electric uke...way too heavy and too expensive to risk damaging.

I'm looking at getting one but have not decided which one yet.

Hey Jay,
Getting a Teton from MIM. Let's get together when I get it and you can check it out.
I'll pm you with my phone #.

Top Bottom