PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite instrument?

Nickie
08-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Ok....
I'd like to know everyone's favorite instrument....to listen to and to play.

Mine for listening:
Classical music: guitar and piano
Bluegrass: fiddle
Blues: mouth harp
Reggae: steel drums
All else: ukulele

my fave to play is ukulele, my 2nd fave is piano...well, it's the only other instrument I play, ha

what's yours?

Jim Hanks
08-13-2013, 11:31 AM
I love playing and listening to ukulele, but I've only been playing uke since March so can't say it is my favorite yet. Sorry but it's true. Probably second favorite though. My favorite to play is the EWI (http://www.akaipro.com/ewi4000s). Favorite to listen to changes moment to moment. :-)

Tele295
08-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Other than the uke...

Classical: cello
Reggae/Caribbean: da pan, mon
Blues: Saxophone
Jazz: Hammond B3 organ

siauke
08-13-2013, 04:12 PM
I love listening to slack key guitar
2nd great guitar pickers like Tommy Emmanuel

For playing -- the ukulele! Can't get a bunch of folks to jam with me on the saxophone or clarinet

allanr
08-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Listen:
- Acoustic blues, don't care what instrument

Play:
- Ukulele
- Electric guitar
- Blues harp
- Conga drums

The order of preference changes faster than the weather!

Big_e
08-14-2013, 06:15 PM
To listen:
Bansuri
Tampuri (accompanied with tabla)

To play:
Shakuhashi

Mxyzptik
08-14-2013, 06:36 PM
My first love in music for playing or listening has always been the Piano.

About a million years ago I was the 1st French Horn in the Alberta Honor Band, the director favoured Dvorak and other composers that featured big horn parts. I absolutely loved playing it.

My ukulele has taken over everything in music that I do. I have a Yamaha Grand Piano that I haven't touched since I got the Uke.I play it at least 2 hours every day, I just can't seem to put it down.

BIGDB
08-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Great idea on the thread.

Favorite playing 1. Ukulele 2. Handpan (don't have one yet but I loved playing it) 3. Pedal steel guitar

favorite for listening is. 1. Ukulele 2. Hang drum 3. Cello 4. steel Guitar 5. Guitar 6. Violin 7. Maybe bag pipes for one or 2 songs haha

If you like the steel drum you really need to check out the hand pan or Hang drum (both same thing. hang is just the company's name) they have a very nice sound.

Here's a link to my favorite player
http://youtu.be/EDQgU1CPpis

hammer40
08-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Favorite to listen to is acoustic guitar.

To play, it's ukulele, but that's also the only one I can play.

Olarte
08-15-2013, 03:00 AM
My primary and favorite instrument is Classical Guitar, which I have been studying for over 5 years.

Ukulele is my 2nd favorite instrument to play.

Ironically, I have 2 classical guitars (same make and model) that I own and play, and 20+ Ukuleles... ;-)

wickedwahine11
08-15-2013, 03:11 AM
To listen: cello and slack key guitar
To play: ukulele

Coconut Willie
08-15-2013, 09:09 AM
To Listen: Slack Key Guitar
To Play: Ukulele & learning to play Slack Key Guitar

therinkydinktink
08-19-2013, 10:14 PM
To listen: Can't pick just one
To play: The Uke's taken over (just can't put it down most days! It may be becoming a problem!) :drool:

Manalishi
08-19-2013, 11:51 PM
To play:whichever of my ukes I have just
picked up!
To Listen: virtually anything that is GOOD
music as opposed to dross...

Hippie Dribble
08-20-2013, 02:16 PM
cowbell :cool:

Pauli
08-22-2013, 02:55 AM
Play: Clarinet
Listen: Armenian Duduk ... or piano if Keith Jarrett is playing it, or maybe tenor sax if John Coltrane is playing it .... Or maybe trumpet if Miles Davis is playing it ... guitar if Leo Kottke ..... uke if butterflybandito is at the helm .... Etc. etc.

tnob
08-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Greetings all!

New on the block, this seems a fun thread to join! So here goes.

As a nipper, I drove my mum gaga with a variety of home made "drums", played, for hours on end, in front of a blaring radio set. Later, my dad taught me some ukelele basics.

One birthday, soon after, got me my first "real" tenor banjo. The tuning was entirely different, though - so I had to start again from scratch. And this paid off, since I have been playing jazz for the next 25 years or so. For this reason, I consider tenor banjo my primary instrument.

My bandmates asked me to give guitar a go. But since I started with tenor banjo in the first place, I've always been (and still am) a crap soloist on six strings. Later still, I taught myself a bit of bass.

So the proper order should be:

1. - tenor banjo
2. - ukulele
3. - guitar
4. - bass
5. - drums

A few years ago, incidentally, I switched from acoustic to electric. And since fairly recently I own a modest audio home studio to make all those instruments come together.

I'm interested in more unusual musical utterances, too.

At one time, I had a 'bottle xylophone' (played with chopsticks) spanning two-and a halve octaves! And a huge jug used as bass (by blowing over the rim). I also tried to build a hammered dulcimer once - but I'm no good at all (and never will be) with tools, I'm afraid.

An instrument intriguing me these days is the hang (many clips on YouTube). And a digital USB windcontroller is still on my wishlist.

tnob

kaizersoza
08-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Listening
Anything from punk to classical

Playing

Ukulele always has and always will be my number 1 instrument, that is all

Harmonica loving playing harp, I am about 5 months in playing and its coming really good

Melodica hardly played since I started playing da harp

Tin Whistle used to be my other go to instrument

Pocket Sax but hard to play or find the time

Jim Hanks
08-23-2013, 02:19 PM
cowbell :cool:
:agree: you can never have too much cowbell. NEVER! :nana:

PTOEguy
08-24-2013, 05:38 AM
Playing: Euphonium. Problem is, it sounds best with full concert band or orchestra backup and not much is written for it.

For listening - just about anything, but its way more fun to play, sing or otherwise participate.

Best music experience ever: the college I went to did John Rutter's Gloria for a Christmas Concert. I was in the brass ensemble and choir so I got to learn both parts, but played with the brass ensemble in the concert. It's a fun piece with a great first trombone part.

hibiscus
08-25-2013, 05:01 PM
I've played many instruments, and my favorites are ukulele, cello & piano.
I listen to all types of music; classical & country my favs

stevepetergal
08-25-2013, 05:16 PM
9' 4" Bluethner Piano with Aloquot system, Renner action.

uke552
08-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Listen to: mandolin
Play: ukulele

Mistyface
08-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Funny thread!
I listen various kinds of music.... Classical , rock, r&b... I will listen as much as I can
To play: I play guitar, piano... Ukulele is quite new to me^^ if I can choose one more instrument , it will be drum^^

Hammond
08-28-2013, 09:33 PM
I learn to play electronic piano when I was a child, but didn't finish that. Now ukulele is the only one instrument I could play. I love to listen to piano.

bnolsen
08-29-2013, 06:45 AM
It took me 40 years but I figured out that I like playing something *portable*. I can go sit out in front of the house, watch the kids ride bikes while I screw around on the ukulele (still healing from a broken foot).

I actually like playing ocarina as well, but it's a very loud instrument and its not that difficult to master.

I mostly have "classical" training, piano, viol da gamba, but those are just too "stuffy" and expensive and tie you down.

What I like to listen to depends on my mood. I pretty much despise rap and most country music though. Oh yeah I really despise opera.

Bill Mc
08-29-2013, 07:22 AM
[QUOTE=Olarte;1356045]My primary and favorite instrument is Classical Guitar, which I have been studying for over 5 years.

Ukulele is my 2nd favorite instrument to play.

Ironically, I have 2 classical guitars (same make and model) that I own and play, and 20+ Ukuleles... ;-)[/QUOTE

Ukulele is my favorite instrument. Olarte, I started the Classical guitar when I was 18 - 50 years ago - and played consistently until I heard a ukulele being played. I only own three classical guitars but many ukuleles and my curiosity for the ukulele has not been satiated.

TUMB's up
10-21-2013, 02:03 PM
I like very much classical and jazz guitar...
then in jazz i like trumpet \ vocals \ trombone

to play:
jazz trombone....but since 2 years I added jazz mandolin: this one really is right for me :) it better matches myself :)
so it's a "race" to reach the top place between the "big baby bone" and the "little dwarf" mando...
as I like mando also because it's tiny and not heavy weighted....
now uke is comin' ... they will race in three!!! :nana:

.... definitely out from race (played 7 years) because playing with his role in music makes me bored: :deadhorse: electric bass

Peterjens
10-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Hammond B3

hucklelele
10-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Nothing grabs me like the sound of strings- a great string background on a recording
Always loved large orchestrations and when I was young and rockin, the Moody Blues and their fusion of rock with classical
probably single instrument would be a steel string guitar- stuff like James Taylor and John Denver and Jim Croce
ironically I can't physically practice and play that like a classical with nylon strings
but also love clean mellow sounding piano and keyboard
I may like to play violin best, at least just started that over the summer and really enjoying that initial rapid progress
I love to play a weighted piano, but haven't had one since a flood wiped me out in '08
the keyboards really in better tune, but something about having to turn it on, and unweighted keys takes something from the experience-
hope to play and record more this winter if I have time
and I like the "strings" voice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmkeFRH7Yos
here's a video I'm getting ready to re-record- because the track got erased before I could get a clean one, so I'm practicing it again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfNNKT3eVrs

and I find recording sorta nerve racking- just barely at a level to get a clean track now and then
ukes are my newest discovery- and while i find a concert size easier to play, I think I like the sound of a soprano best, really

tainauke
10-27-2013, 11:02 PM
to listen: too many instruments (classics, like piano, cello, violin, to less conventional like the accordion, the cuatro or the giro) it really depends on the song and my state of mind on a given day

to play: the ukulele of course!!!! does the kazoo count?

mrosenlof
11-24-2013, 09:57 AM
My primary instrument to play is Shakuhachi, and my favorite to play.

To listen, I love the combination of flutes (shakuhachi, western, baroque) and plucked strings. I take ensemble lessons playing with shamisen and koto, playing classical Japanese music.

Barbablanca
11-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Ukulele apart?

Listening - The kora! This African harp-like instruemtn is just magical!

Playing - Difficult.... Hmmm, perhaps the Cittern

Harrysong
11-25-2013, 02:43 PM
I have a number, but Guitar (Electric, acoustic 6 string & 12 string), Ukulele, Sitar and Tanpura......are what I like and have.

Hippie Dribble
11-25-2013, 08:20 PM
African Thumb Piano and Appalachian Dulcimer

we tigers
11-25-2013, 11:33 PM
To listen to: Vibraphone, marimba, bass, fender Rhodes and cello.
To play: bass and ukulele.

pabrizzer
12-07-2013, 10:22 AM
To play is the ukulele - I have many guitars but hardly play them now and they feel so big.
To listen -
Cello - the cello adds something special to all genres of music INMO.
Tin Whistle - well played they are just wonderful especially the low whistles.
Resonator guitars - magic in the blues along with the harmonica of course.
Jazz and blues piano also fantastic.

I appreciate anything played well.

DaleR
12-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Drum corps, pipe band, ethnic music...belly dance music!

So...tuba, bagpipes, drums, davul, zils, zurna...

Kevin B
02-08-2014, 11:31 AM
My favorite instrument to play is the five string banjo (bluegrass 3 finger style). Second is the Dobro.

bornold
02-09-2014, 06:33 AM
My favorite to play is 5-string banjo, clawhammer style

hokelore
02-10-2014, 05:39 AM
I have this love/hate thing with the fiddle. That's been going on for 30+ years. It has a mind of its own; can't make a fiddle do anything it doesn't want to.

Down Up Dick
04-08-2014, 08:54 AM
To play: I like my alto flute and my other flutes best, but I also enjoy playing my tuba and baritone (horn). I like to play Irish Music on my Irish flutes and whistles and old folk and military tunes on my fifes. I started playing the ukuleles because I wanted to sing with accompaniment. If I was young I'd like to play the banjo and/or the oboe.
To listen: I like classical music including opera, and lots of folk music and old standards (Jazz). It fact, I like almost all kinds except rap (like the beat-hate the words) and loud, wild rock (don't forget, I'm old).

Barbablanca
04-08-2014, 09:00 AM
I have this love/hate thing with the fiddle. That's been going on for 30+ years. It has a mind of its own; can't make a fiddle do anything it doesn't want to.

Damn right! I've only had a 5 year love hate relationship with the damn thing, but I truly sympathise, brother! Now I know why they call it the Devil's Instrument :)

KevinV
04-22-2014, 10:18 PM
My favorite to play is the uke. When listening, I like to listen to uke, and instrumental jazz guitar.

SoCal Ukester 713
04-25-2014, 04:09 PM
I love playing electric bass and ukulele, but classical guitar is my favorite.

ichadwick
05-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Sitar. The sound simply reaches into me and moves me in inexplicable ways.

Which is one reason I bought this pedal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZGDYJ77xA

IamNoMan
10-04-2014, 05:19 AM
My favorite instrument to play is my voice, whether spoken or sung. It is always available, ultimately portable and just takes a drop of whiskey to tune. For slightly less portable instruments the banjo and the uke are my favorites to play. These three are the happiest instruments in the universe.

I enjoy all manner of music and consequently instruments.
I have particular fondness for Cajun Accordian, Northumbrian Small-Pipes, Raga, Gamelan and English Music Hall.

Jim Yates
10-05-2014, 07:44 AM
I just love the guitar. I've been playing it since I bought my first Goya M-26 in 1960. I enjoy playing the banjo, mandolin, dulcimer, Autoharp, button box, mouth harp and, my newest instrument, the ukulele, but the guitar is something I play every day, and I can't say that about my other instruments. The ukulele, being so small and portable, is getting a lot of play lately though.

twentytabby
10-05-2014, 08:21 AM
It varies depending on my mood and what I've done recently, but if I had to pick one, it would be the piano. I've played piano longer than anything else and I can play the largest variety of music on it. I can sight read on the piano the easiest and put harmonies to single clef songs. I just wish it was more portable.
I call my accordion my portable piano, but I don't like the sound of reeds as much as strings.

stevepetergal
10-05-2014, 01:03 PM
To hear - Brynn Terfel's voice.
To play - If I had Brynn Terfel's voice, that'd be it.

Mivo
11-07-2014, 10:08 AM
My favorite instrument is the kalimba, though that is really a whole family of instruments. The one that I play the most is a chromatic Hugh Tracey model that covers three and a half octaves (it has tines on the back). I'm currently at nine different models, only two of them being chromatic. Some of them are electronic, but I'm not convinced of piezo pickups, and prefer recording with a ribbon microphone or a contact one.

I also have a mbira, but overall prefer the westernized kalimbas for their bell-like sound. Kalimba and ukulele clash a bit when it comes to nails of the fretting hand. I think I found a length that works for the kalimba and doesn't leave marks in the fretboard, though. :)

aspieman456
11-19-2014, 09:30 AM
For right now, the uke is my one and only instrument to strum. I listen to a lot of pop, rock, jazz, and classical standards.

SteveZ
11-19-2014, 01:00 PM
To Play (for sound quality and most R&R): Tenor Guitar
To Play (for casual time with most genres): Ukulele
To Play (for folk and some country): Tenor Banjo
To Play (when feeling really contrary): Mandolin
To Listen To: Anything played by someone who's really good on it.

ickybaby
11-25-2014, 09:34 AM
It's got to be my reconditioned 1942 Slingerland Radio King drum kit. It's the pre-war Martin 5K of drum kits...if said Martin had a couple of expertly repaired cracks.

The Big Kahuna
11-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Listen to: Guitar

Play: Guitar

Look at: Guitar

NeciaPL
12-26-2014, 02:20 AM
To play uke, guitar. I like listen saxophone, violin or piano solo.

k0k0peli
04-26-2015, 08:57 PM
So many instruments, so many favorites! I'll listen to almost anything but I'm a sucker for classical guitar, far beyond my own meagre abilities. My fave axe for playing depends on time and place. I spend much of my life reclining with a ThinkPad in my lap and small lutes close at hand for quick access, so ukes or mandos get played most. Mouth organs also see much use. I mainly compose on acoustic guitar or with software. And when I'm walking around my remote mountain hamlet I always carry a sturdy tinwhistle both to annoy the squirrels and as a defensive weapon if/when I encounter any loose dogs or vicious owners.

lizziep
04-27-2015, 06:31 AM
I love the claves!

terrgy
09-02-2015, 08:31 AM
I love playing mountain dulcimer and tremolo harmonica.
Just started learning ukulele in May. It has quickly become my favorite.
Mess around with piano in spurts, as we have three in our home. But they are my wife's babies. She is quick to tell me "don't spook my pianos".

RichM
09-02-2015, 10:07 AM
I stepped in as bass player for my band a couple of years ago when our bass player quit (I had been playing rhythm guitar), despite having virtually no experience playing bass. It was supposed to be temporary, but I'm still the bass player today, and playing bass has become one of my favorite things in the world.

strumsilly
09-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Listen: acapella quartet
My Fav instrument- my own voice
fav to look at- beautiful singers
oh, I like the ukulele too

kaizersoza
09-18-2015, 04:35 AM
Uke is my favourite instrument, closely followed by the harmonica, I love the sound of a violin, but sadly I cannot play one, I also like the mandolin but I haven't got time to practice it, but one day who knows