Your favorite instrument?

Nickie

Reaction score
Ok....
I'd like to know everyone's favorite instrument....to listen to and to play.

Mine for listening:
Classical music: guitar and piano
Bluegrass: fiddle
Blues: mouth harp
Reggae: steel drums
All else: ukulele

my fave to play is ukulele, my 2nd fave is piano...well, it's the only other instrument I play, ha

what's yours?

I love playing and listening to ukulele, but I've only been playing uke since March so can't say it is my favorite yet. Sorry but it's true. Probably second favorite though. My favorite to play is the EWI. Favorite to listen to changes moment to moment. :)

Other than the uke...

Classical: cello
Reggae/Caribbean: da pan, mon
Blues: Saxophone
Jazz: Hammond B3 organ

I love listening to slack key guitar
2nd great guitar pickers like Tommy Emmanuel

For playing -- the ukulele! Can't get a bunch of folks to jam with me on the saxophone or clarinet

Listen:
- Acoustic blues, don't care what instrument

Play:
- Ukulele
- Electric guitar
- Blues harp
- Conga drums

The order of preference changes faster than the weather!

To listen:
Bansuri
Tampuri (accompanied with tabla)

To play:
Shakuhashi

My first love in music for playing or listening has always been the Piano.

About a million years ago I was the 1st French Horn in the Alberta Honor Band, the director favoured Dvorak and other composers that featured big horn parts. I absolutely loved playing it.

My ukulele has taken over everything in music that I do. I have a Yamaha Grand Piano that I haven't touched since I got the Uke.I play it at least 2 hours every day, I just can't seem to put it down.

Great idea on the thread.

Favorite playing 1. Ukulele 2. Handpan (don't have one yet but I loved playing it) 3. Pedal steel guitar

favorite for listening is. 1. Ukulele 2. Hang drum 3. Cello 4. steel Guitar 5. Guitar 6. Violin 7. Maybe bag pipes for one or 2 songs haha

If you like the steel drum you really need to check out the hand pan or Hang drum (both same thing. hang is just the company's name) they have a very nice sound.

Here's a link to my favorite player
http://youtu.be/EDQgU1CPpis

Last edited:
Favorite to listen to is acoustic guitar.

To play, it's ukulele, but that's also the only one I can play.

My primary and favorite instrument is Classical Guitar, which I have been studying for over 5 years.

Ukulele is my 2nd favorite instrument to play.

Ironically, I have 2 classical guitars (same make and model) that I own and play, and 20+ Ukuleles... ;-)

To listen: Can't pick just one
To play: The Uke's taken over (just can't put it down most days! It may be becoming a problem!) :drool:

To play:whichever of my ukes I have just
picked up!
To Listen: virtually anything that is GOOD
music as opposed to dross...

Play: Clarinet
Listen: Armenian Duduk ... or piano if Keith Jarrett is playing it, or maybe tenor sax if John Coltrane is playing it .... Or maybe trumpet if Miles Davis is playing it ... guitar if Leo Kottke ..... uke if butterflybandito is at the helm .... Etc. etc.

Greetings all!

New on the block, this seems a fun thread to join! So here goes.

As a nipper, I drove my mum gaga with a variety of home made "drums", played, for hours on end, in front of a blaring radio set. Later, my dad taught me some ukelele basics.

One birthday, soon after, got me my first "real" tenor banjo. The tuning was entirely different, though - so I had to start again from scratch. And this paid off, since I have been playing jazz for the next 25 years or so. For this reason, I consider tenor banjo my primary instrument.

My bandmates asked me to give guitar a go. But since I started with tenor banjo in the first place, I've always been (and still am) a crap soloist on six strings. Later still, I taught myself a bit of bass.

So the proper order should be:

1. - tenor banjo
2. - ukulele
3. - guitar
4. - bass
5. - drums

A few years ago, incidentally, I switched from acoustic to electric. And since fairly recently I own a modest audio home studio to make all those instruments come together.

I'm interested in more unusual musical utterances, too.

At one time, I had a 'bottle xylophone' (played with chopsticks) spanning two-and a halve octaves! And a huge jug used as bass (by blowing over the rim). I also tried to build a hammered dulcimer once - but I'm no good at all (and never will be) with tools, I'm afraid.

An instrument intriguing me these days is the hang (many clips on YouTube). And a digital USB windcontroller is still on my wishlist.

tnob

Listening
Anything from punk to classical

Playing

Ukulele always has and always will be my number 1 instrument, that is all

Harmonica loving playing harp, I am about 5 months in playing and its coming really good

Melodica hardly played since I started playing da harp

Tin Whistle used to be my other go to instrument

Pocket Sax but hard to play or find the time

Playing: Euphonium. Problem is, it sounds best with full concert band or orchestra backup and not much is written for it.

For listening - just about anything, but its way more fun to play, sing or otherwise participate.

Best music experience ever: the college I went to did John Rutter's Gloria for a Christmas Concert. I was in the brass ensemble and choir so I got to learn both parts, but played with the brass ensemble in the concert. It's a fun piece with a great first trombone part.

Top Bottom