Tuners for Gibson

pahu

Reaction score
Just acquired a nice Gibson Tenor-probably from the 1940's.
Its in great shape but the tuning buttons have disintregated. Tuners are probably original nickle-plated brass with springs inside the
barrels. I can clean up the tuners if I can find some buttons-I believe these were the 'keystone-shaped' buttons. They have a square hole with a 1/8" square tuner shaft. Got any suggestions?
I'll take complete tuners if you know of some vintage ones. Headstock holes are 5/16" diameter.

Aloha Pahu, CONGRATS ON THE GIBSON TENOR, WHAT A SCORE
I have a harmony in the 40-50's and with the square shafts too....hard to find repacements....maybe on ebay or benunizios....they can be quite expensive...you can
always put new tuners on and the will improve your uke and get them turning smooth....unless you still like the vintage look...it may be costly..http://bernunzio.com/category/parts/tuners/
Good luck ...hope it helps
BTW HOW MUCH YOU GOT THE GIBSON FOR...IF YOU WANNA TELL...:eek:

Last edited:
Here are the tuners on my C. 1950 Gibson TU-2 tenor - do yours look like these?

Wow-it looks like a screwdriver has never touched yours!
Mine are considerably worse for wear
2013-08-12_17-50-38_905.jpg
They have a coil spring inside the barrel which I believe is unusual

Stan, thanks for the clue-are these Harmony ones commonly called 'shark tooth' tuners? Or much older?
Sorry, the seller made me promise not to disclose the selling price..who knows-you may some day want to buy it ;)
He did say it belonged to his Grandfather who performed with it in the 1940's

Moore Bettah Custom 41213 010.jpgAloha Pahu,
yes mine is not the shark tuners and were very hard to find....I would post pictures but photo bucket is beng hacked and every time I copy a image code...sorry
ha ha If you want to sell the gibson....let me know...Happy Strummings...

Last edited:
Pahu, I have the same tuners on my Gibson 40/50's tenor, they are Kluson tuners, and that model is no longer made. I'm having to replace mine and its a devil of a job to find anything to fit without having to take chucks out of the tenor. If you find anything that will fit please let me know. Cheers

Top Bottom