Better Bari Strings?

imagesinthewind

Reaction score
I love my Rogue baritone. Please don't tell me how cheap it is...

I would like to change out the original strings to something warmer sounding if thats possible. I do like the metal wrapped strings that are on it, but don't mind if they need to be different.

Its a nice uke for me, would like to get better strings.
Thanks for advice.

I have Living Water strings on both my baritones - the standard set is on my cheap Lanikai and were a huge improvement over the stock strings. I have a custom set (which is really the same gauges as tenor strings) tuned to A tuning on my Brüko which were also an improvement (though not as drastic) over the stock Pyramid strings. The Pyamids weren't that bad themselves but I prefer no wounds.

I was introduced to the baritone uke as a result of the Butler Music Gambler's Special thread here in the forum. I purchased one of the Lanikai baritones, and put a set of Southcoast flat wound medium tension strings on it, tuning it to Bflat per the suggestions on the Southcoast site.
All I can say is that to my ears, this laminate uke sounds fabulous with these strings. This experience has elevated the laminate uke experience in my mind. The best uke is the one you will play. The best strings are the ones that feel right and sound good to you! Rock on with your Rogue!

Have read many, many positive reviews about Southcoast baritone uke strings. Their strings are true custom strings with each string tension optimized for the baritone scale length, not just a longer set of generic strings.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/philosophy.htm

After many tries, I've found a unique combo of baritone strings that I like.

For the G, B, E, fluorocarbons - either Living Water or Worth. I currently have Worth Browns, which are slightly warmer than clear fluorocarbon strings.

For the low D... (drumroll) a single GHS string.

Yes, GHS. The cheapest ones. Their wound strings are highly underrated. They never fray and they have a sound that goes better with fluorocarbons, IMO, than other strings typically do.

I've got D'Addario J68 strings on my vintage Kingstone bari tuned DGBE. They are a marked improvement over the unknown brand strings that were on it when I got it.

Ko'olau golds are a nice and warm set for my baritone.

I have two rogue baritones....I started with them and still love them.....martin baritone strings are pretty nice, but if you want a warmer tone a thicker string
would work better but a softer compound. I have not tried them yet, but Koo'au gold has a Baritone and it is thicker but not sure what the density of the compound is
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/KBS.htm I have on my second rogue, Kamaka baritone strings and I am satisfied with them not as thick but okay good.....the first I still have the original strings...

Ko'olau Golds are some of the thickest strings out there. At least they felt that way to me.

Top Bottom