NUD - So I went to Hawaii...

Big B

Reaction score
Hi all, so excited about my new ukulele I had to share. I'll try to keep the story short!

My wife and I went to Oahu for a week (starting July 6th) to celebrate our 20th anniversary. I always said that if I made it to the islands, I would leave with a k-brand uke. Spent some time at HMS strumming 3 of the 4 k's (no Kamakas that day). Left empty handed. Two days later we went on the Kamaka factory tour. At the end of the tour, I was able to play a few Kamakas and that was it for me. We spent the next 30 minutes putting together my special order!

I ended up with a HF-3+. I upgraded the tuners to Gotoh UPT's, abalone for both fingerboard dots and KK inlay, and a rosewood rosette. It came out great. Sounds and plays wonderfully; being easy on the eyes is a great bonus.

As one last surprise, my wife didn't tell me they called when it was ready. She paid and had it shipped without my knowledge...saving me from the agony of tracking the package. What a great surprise when it showed up after only 27 days! I wasn't expecting it for another 2 weeks. Anyway, great trip, fantastic wife, and a really outstanding ukulele. I'm not a very good photographer, but here are some pics. Thanks!

Have pics and more stories from our factory visit for another time...

What a gorgeous instrument...

Sounds like your wife is pretty special too. Happy anniversary to both of you!

Any chance we'll hear a sound clip soon?

Scooter

Happy 20th! :cheers: Congrats on the HF-3! I've never seem one with a wood rosette before. It looks fantastic.

Happy 20th anneversary and congrats on the uke!! Great choice on the kamaka love the wood you chose for the rossete. Sure you'll have a lot of great times with it

Wow! Congrats on a wonderful wife and a great uke!

Very nice.

very nice! Is that a double or triple saddle setup? Is that typical Kamaka?

Congrats on your 20th anniversary and you've got an aweome gem, I know it sounds and looks amazing....oh yes and your new kamaka too... Happy Strummings...

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. Standard Kamaka saddle. When I decided to stick with a rosewood fretboard, the rosette seemed like a nice touch. I think it worked out well. I've tried different fretboard wood on guitars, and I always come back to rosewood. I guess it has the feel I like.

I'll throw a sound clip up when I figure out how.

Happy Anniversary and that Kamaka is stunning! Congratulations!

Oh, wow!!!! Your ukulele is just breathtaking! Absolutely gorgeous!!! Many well-wishes and congrats on your beautiful uke and on your 20th anniversary -- my hubby and I also celebrated our 20th this year! (Where does the time go? :) )

Congratulations!

Twenty years together (and a new uke) sounds pretty sweet.

That's a gorgeous uke! You've hit the jackpot with a lovely thoughtful wife AND a stunning ukulele! I love that beautiful but understated design - just enough abalone, a touch of wood for the rosette - SO classy!

Wow....extremely beautiful. Congrats on your anniversary and on your new uke!

Congrats on both the uke and the Anniversary newlyweds. We've been married 52 years on 11/11 and it just got better. Good luck and best wishes.

Top Bottom