I changed my own strings for the first time - success! Why and how!

revdj

Reaction score
Okay, so I started playing a couple of months ago, with a Malaka Dolphin. Fun, fun, fun! Some people said, "Oh! Get good strings ASAP!" Others were like "Oh! Don't worry about it." I decided not to get new strings for these reasons

1) I didn't know if I would like playing ukulele
2) I would be bad enough starting out that it would not make a difference
3) It is easier not to do something, than to do something
4) Good strings were going to be expensive

After a couple of months, while lord knows I'm not good, I can't honestly say I'm "bad." I strum chords in reasonable succession, and they sound like they are supposed to, and if it weren't for my singing the result would be pleasing to the ear.

So I was messing around on the internet and found out that Aquila strings (the kind lots of people here suggest) were... cheap. Like, "under ten dollars" cheap. I shopped around, found the least expensive price, and bought them.

Now - of course - was stringing them. I saw a you tube video, and it looked really hard, so I called a guitarist friend who agreed to help me. But me being a Dad and him being a Dad we were finding it hard to get together... so I watched another video.

This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhC7b9XfRu4

There were clear explanations of what he was doing, a very clear camera angle, and he made it look straightforward. I got out my Uke, and followed along, and was able to restring it myself. By the end, I understood what I was doing to the point where next time (next time?) I won't need to watch a video. The video is 10 minutes long. It took me about 15 minutes to do the string change. Next time (next time?) it will probably take me much less time.

The result? I took the advice someone gave me on this forum (when my uke first arrived) and tuned the strings a note high and left it like that overnight, so today it is actually staying in tune. The strings feel noticeably different - they actually hurt my fingertips a little more, through the callouses :) I can't describe how the sound is different - but it is different, and I think better. I will have to play a couple of days before I can tell how they sound when I'm not focusing on how they feel.

ANYway - Revdj's recommendation: Buy new strings or not, based on whatever, but do NOT be afraid of the cost, and do NOT be afraid of the changing process.

Last edited:
Don't think I'll be trying this any time soon...nearly gave myself a coronary trying to change guitar strings myself a few months ago. I'm not anxious to repeat the experience, but thanks for sharing the video. :D

Take care,

Casey

Congratulations! I also changed strings for the first time on a Dolphin - well, uke strings. I had changed four strings on a classical guitar once - the instructor changed two and I finished off the job. I wasn't eager to repeat the process after the Dolphin experience, but it got better with time and practice.

Thanks for the link, Revdj! I've been carrying around a set of Aquilas in my gig bag for a month, because I was scared I'd mess up the change. I'll change them tonight, after the jam at my local guitar shop.

Good job! I'm sure you will enjoy the new strings. I think they sound brighter than those black ones the uke normally comes with.

Just changed strings on a slothead Uke for the first time . Thank goodness for YouTube.

I need to change mine and I have a new set but I am scared to try.
Don't blame you. Did I mention there was cursing involved?

It really does get easier. Just leave yourself plenty of time, and be patient with yourself. It's a new skill that has to be learned. But somehow, we all manage to learn it, and you will, too!

I don't enjoy changing strings and tend to let them go way too long unless one breaks, then I'll usually just replace the whole set.

Then I'm usually amazed at how much better they sound and wish I'd done it sooner.

So, congrats. Learning to change strings is a rite of passage and something you will need to be able to do unless you become a uke god and have your own roadie for that.

Don't think I'll be trying this any time soon...nearly gave myself a coronary trying to change guitar strings myself a few months ago. I'm not anxious to repeat the experience...
Were these steel strings? I could never change strings on a mandolin without getting stabbed and drawing blood from the sharpness of them.

But (most) uke strings are nylon/carbon and are much easier to deal with. :)

Congratulations on powering through the first one!

As a person who had zero musical experiences before getting into the uke, I too was scared initially about changing out strings. I found this video is really good about tying the ends.
It goes nice and slow and uses an over-sized a rope and a block as a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyv7uOiXsbM

Just like anything on the uke, practice. A few string changes and it'll become easier. I still find it to be a pain, since it does take time, and then you have to constantly re-tune and re-tune for a week or two.

And then you start experimenting with different strings and/or tunings and then you're off on a whole new tangent. It's almost like there are too many options for strings sometimes!

Captain Simian, sounds like you had an awesome guitar teacher!

I've changed my strings, and in the process discovered that the saddle is not attached, just held on by string tension. Is that common? I'm looking forward to hearing the Aquilas, but at this point they won't stay in tune for two chords -gotta give them some stretch-and-settle time.

My new uke (should be here Tuesday) is a slot head, so I guess that will be another new skill....

Last edited:
robinms, yes it is common and the nut may fall out also (no so common). stringing the slothead is the same as a regular tuner, just winds up differently. something i found helpful was to take a picture of the head and bridge and put it on the computer, then when everything is apart you can reference how it was.

Top Bottom