Resonator Uke Coverplate

fernandogardinali

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm negotiating with a brazilian luthier that made a few ukes and some resonator guitars, but never a reso uke. I said I'd get the parts (cone, coverplate and tuners). For the tuners I will go with the friction Waverly with ebony pegs and the cone will be National. My doubt is with the cover plate.

I see that there's two available options:

1) National coverplate for US$160

2) Import coverplate from Republic Guitars for $25.

My question:

there is a significant difference between those two? I see National looks better and has that tailpiece thingy vs the string-cutter holes in the cheap coverplate. Since it's possible to drill a wooden tailpiece like this goldtone uke, there is any advantage in the National coverplate that justifies it being 6,4 more expensive?

Thanks in advance

Hi Fernando, you could always ask this fellow to make you a personalised, wooden coverplate. Reso ukes are his specialty and his coverplates are really beautiful I think. Check out his website...

http://www.russmorin.com/

I've had trouble with the imports cutting strings at that holey tailpiece so I make a bespoke wooden one that covers the holes. I use some wood that matches the fingerboard or another stylistic element of the particular uke.

Have a look on my website under resonator ukes.

I like the wooden coverplates, but for this one I will go with metal - I want a more traditional look.

Aaron, do you drill a hole to screw the tailpiece or do you screw on the existing holes?

Last edited:
I guess not being Aaron leaves me a little under qualified but I'll give it a shot anyway.

You just need to make sure you keep the mounting holes away from the string retaining holes. I use a wider string spacing at the tailpiece than is proprietary to the coverplates and therefore can use the existing holes in the coverplate to mount the tailpiece.

Liam, I'm sorry - I read quickly and wrongfully understood that you made a wooden coverplate. I directed my question to Aaron for that reason.

I'm looking at your tailpiece and it seems a good idea. If I asked the builder to do it a bit thinner maybe I could turn it into a tie bridge. What do you think?

I did it that way more recently and did it with a lower profile. Just need to find shorter screws to secure it.

I got a heap from Republic a while ago. I haven't tried to contact them recently. Maybe you should go old school and phone them.

Top Bottom