PDA

View Full Version : NEW UKE ARRIVAL: Barron River Custom Tenor

blue_knight_usa
08-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi All, I just wanted to let you know that I received a great custom instrument from Allen McFarlen out of Cairnes Austrailia. We started the process early in the year and I received it actually a few weeks back.

Sound Samples: http://snd.sc/17qpCb4 and http://snd.sc/17qpyYW

It is stunning to look at and the sound (most important) is heavenly with tons of sustain, and crystal clear crisp chimes for notes. It was designed as a high G uke and it's very clear with this uke that it was meant for high G.

I'll be doing a full review with sound samples but for now you can see the review trailer video here for a little preview of what I got. Sound samples will be posted in the full view review to come soon. Figure I would do something different with the video trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9A_q1Tf2KE

Hope ya all enjoy!

Tigeralum2001
08-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Nice! Love the Tiger Myrtle! All that was missing from the video is "In a world where..." :)

time for another uke jam?

blue_knight_usa
08-14-2013, 12:59 PM
You are right, that would of been good. Want to be the director of my new trailer? ;-) I'm up for a jam anytime. I'll PM you. I need to start thinking about UkeJam By The Bay 2014!

Jim Hanks
08-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Nice! Love the Tiger Myrtle! All that was missing from the video is "In a world where..." :)
:agree: on all 3 points. :)

That was done with imovie? On Mac I guess? I use imovie on ipad and I don't think I could have done that on ipad.

blue_knight_usa
08-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Hi Jim, yep. Macbook Pro with imovie, you got it.

greenie44
08-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Yow, that is one beautiful uke. Can't comment on the trailer, since I watched it with the sound off.

PhilUSAFRet
08-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Wow, great looking/sounding uke. Congrats on a real "winner"

pakhan
08-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Very Nice Jay- Congrats! Allen makes a mean uke!

Doc_J
08-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Wow. Great sound! Man, I love that Tiger Myrtle from Tasmania!

I've been Jonesing for Barron River Tenor for a long time. This one is really feeding the need.

Nickie
08-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Wow, it's beautiful! Congrats.....that is some awesome looking wood....

dalamaricus
08-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Really unique, great uke and a nicely done fun trailer too. Congrats!

pcspud
08-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Congratulations on the ukulele. Allen is great to work with, he builds incredible instruments

coolcow
08-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Congrats on the uke....it's beautiful....and I really enjoyed your video trailer :o

mm stan
08-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Congrats Jay,
It looks stunning...3 years ago I wanted one from Alan....but he was so far away, now I regret not getting one....Happy Strummings

blue_knight_usa
08-15-2013, 07:04 AM
Congrats Jay,
It looks stunning...3 years ago I wanted one from Alan....but he was so far away, now I regret not getting one....Happy Strummings

Thanks Stan, never too late ;-) Distance wasn't an issue nor was communication. I'm just glad I took the leap of faith. We spoke for probably a month before I even told him I was going to order anything and he responded (always within a day due to time zones) every time with detailed responses and thoughts. In my company we are all about providing the Ritz Carlton level of customer service to our clients and Allen definitely made me feel like I was important and he wanted to make sure he had everything right. Not that I have to feel important but just having someone provide you that level of communication was really fantastic. Hope to meet you one day!

wayfarer75
08-15-2013, 02:23 PM

time for another uke jam?

Yes!

"In a world where tigers grow on trees..."

gyosh
08-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Nice Jay!!!

Sounds great. Looking forward to Ukejam by the Bay 2014 :)

Tigeralum2001
08-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Yes!

"In a world where tigers grow on trees..."
I love it!

Dan Uke
08-15-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm just glad I took the leap of faith. We spoke for probably a month before I even told him I was going to order anything and he responded (always within a day due to time zones) every time with detailed responses and thoughts. In my company we are all about providing the Ritz Carlton level of customer service to our clients and Allen definitely made me feel like I was important and he wanted to make sure he had everything right. Not that I have to feel important but just having someone provide you that level of communication was really fantastic.

Very good point Jay.

It's seems very diff't in the luthier lounge where it seems they don't want to be engaging. It almost feels like you just pay your money and wait for whatever they create. I understand if it's Chuck but most luthier's not as creative.

Kudos to Allen!!

BlueLatitude
08-16-2013, 04:27 AM
Thanks Stan, never too late ;-) Distance wasn't an issue nor was communication. I'm just glad I took the leap of faith. We spoke for probably a month before I even told him I was going to order anything and he responded (always within a day due to time zones) every time with detailed responses and thoughts. In my company we are all about providing the Ritz Carlton level of customer service to our clients and Allen definitely made me feel like I was important and he wanted to make sure he had everything right. Not that I have to feel important but just having someone provide you that level of communication was really fantastic. Hope to meet you one day!

That's great to hear! Allen is on my short list for my next custom (not until next year though) and tiger myrtle is on that list too.

I want to work with someone I can feel comfortable talking to!

Ukejenny
08-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Beautiful sound - love the ethereal quality. That video is epic!

RyanMFT
08-16-2013, 09:46 AM
I have played this ukulele at Jay's house, and let me tell you, it sounds, plays, and looks better than the trailer shows...it is on a very special level.

blue_knight_usa
08-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Here is a sound sample showing off the "chimes" and separation of the notes, the clarity...

http://snd.sc/1bEFrhm

Allen
08-16-2013, 08:22 PM
I just noticed this thread that Jay started, besides the one in the Luthiers Lounge where I spend most of my limited time online. I want to take the opportunity to thank him very much for the very fine movie and sound samples that he put together. It was a complete surprise to me, and very much appreciated.

As well, the many kind words that others have offered. Working alone for days on end in the workshop on your craft can be trying at times. It's when I get to see and hear what all the work has accomplished that makes me want to continue to improve my skills.

Most of my work is one on one with clients, and it is both very rewarding and challenging. In any type of creative endeavour, you hope to hit all the marks that the client is expecting, and even surpassing some of them. Especially when many are so far away.

When that happens, and you get positive feed back, it makes all those little extra's that are not added to the bottom line worth while.

If anyone is interested in seeing the build log of it, you can view it on my website here. (http://www.brguitars.com/blog/files/Blue_Knights_Tenor.php)

Some studio shots of it are in my gallery. (http://www.brguitars.com/ukuleles/tiger_myrtle_tenor2/)