NEW UKE ARRIVAL: Barron River Custom Tenor

blue_knight_usa

Reaction score
Hi All, I just wanted to let you know that I received a great custom instrument from Allen McFarlen out of Cairnes Austrailia. We started the process early in the year and I received it actually a few weeks back.

Sound Samples: http://snd.sc/17qpCb4 and http://snd.sc/17qpyYW

It is stunning to look at and the sound (most important) is heavenly with tons of sustain, and crystal clear crisp chimes for notes. It was designed as a high G uke and it's very clear with this uke that it was meant for high G.

I'll be doing a full review with sound samples but for now you can see the review trailer video here for a little preview of what I got. Sound samples will be posted in the full view review to come soon. Figure I would do something different with the video trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9A_q1Tf2KE

Hope ya all enjoy!

Last edited:
Nice! Love the Tiger Myrtle! All that was missing from the video is "In a world where..." :)

time for another uke jam?

You are right, that would of been good. Want to be the director of my new trailer? ;-) I'm up for a jam anytime. I'll PM you. I need to start thinking about UkeJam By The Bay 2014!

Nice! Love the Tiger Myrtle! All that was missing from the video is "In a world where..." :)
:agree: on all 3 points. :)

That was done with imovie? On Mac I guess? I use imovie on ipad and I don't think I could have done that on ipad.

Yow, that is one beautiful uke. Can't comment on the trailer, since I watched it with the sound off.

Wow, great looking/sounding uke. Congrats on a real "winner"

Very Nice Jay- Congrats! Allen makes a mean uke!

Wow. Great sound! Man, I love that Tiger Myrtle from Tasmania!

I've been Jonesing for Barron River Tenor for a long time. This one is really feeding the need.

Wow, it's beautiful! Congrats.....that is some awesome looking wood....

Really unique, great uke and a nicely done fun trailer too. Congrats!

Congrats on the uke....it's beautiful....and I really enjoyed your video trailer :eek:

Congrats Jay,
It looks stunning...3 years ago I wanted one from Alan....but he was so far away, now I regret not getting one....Happy Strummings

Congrats Jay,
It looks stunning...3 years ago I wanted one from Alan....but he was so far away, now I regret not getting one....Happy Strummings

Thanks Stan, never too late ;-) Distance wasn't an issue nor was communication. I'm just glad I took the leap of faith. We spoke for probably a month before I even told him I was going to order anything and he responded (always within a day due to time zones) every time with detailed responses and thoughts. In my company we are all about providing the Ritz Carlton level of customer service to our clients and Allen definitely made me feel like I was important and he wanted to make sure he had everything right. Not that I have to feel important but just having someone provide you that level of communication was really fantastic. Hope to meet you one day!

Nice Jay!!!

Sounds great. Looking forward to Ukejam by the Bay 2014 :)

I'm just glad I took the leap of faith. We spoke for probably a month before I even told him I was going to order anything and he responded (always within a day due to time zones) every time with detailed responses and thoughts. In my company we are all about providing the Ritz Carlton level of customer service to our clients and Allen definitely made me feel like I was important and he wanted to make sure he had everything right. Not that I have to feel important but just having someone provide you that level of communication was really fantastic.

Very good point Jay.

It's seems very diff't in the luthier lounge where it seems they don't want to be engaging. It almost feels like you just pay your money and wait for whatever they create. I understand if it's Chuck but most luthier's not as creative.

Kudos to Allen!!

Last edited:
Thanks Stan, never too late ;-) Distance wasn't an issue nor was communication. I'm just glad I took the leap of faith. We spoke for probably a month before I even told him I was going to order anything and he responded (always within a day due to time zones) every time with detailed responses and thoughts. In my company we are all about providing the Ritz Carlton level of customer service to our clients and Allen definitely made me feel like I was important and he wanted to make sure he had everything right. Not that I have to feel important but just having someone provide you that level of communication was really fantastic. Hope to meet you one day!

That's great to hear! Allen is on my short list for my next custom (not until next year though) and tiger myrtle is on that list too.

I want to work with someone I can feel comfortable talking to!

Top Bottom