Big Island Trip

gspears

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm planning a trip to the Big Island late September. Staying on the Hilo side of the island. Hoping to see some Uke related stuff while I'm there.. Ukulele performances, Hawaiian culture type shows and a visit to Hilo guitars music shop.. and if possible, a visit to Chuck Moore's shop for at least some Moore Bettah Paraphernalia. Does anyone know of local performances, shows or good ukulele related sites? Thanks, Greg

Aloha!
My home for over 35 years, Hawaii is a great place to visit & live (if you can afford it). Lots of great places to visit, and some of the most spectacular site-seeing on this great planet. Below are some (but not all) of the highlights of what the islands have to offer. I get many requests for information about visiting Hawaii, so I thought I'd post this for all to see.
If you have the opportunity, go see Hawaii!
Shaka Brudda!

Places to go:
http://www.gohawaii.com/big-island
Hawaii: (the Big Island)
-Kona! Need I say more!
-Mauna Kea & Mauna Loa "The volcano’s" At 13,679ft. Mauna Loa is the tallest peak on Earth. (from it's base)
-Volcano’s National Park
-Kilauea. Active volcano. If your lucky, you might be able to see the Lava flows.
-The big Island is larger that all the Hawaiian islands put together.

I believe Sarah Maisel and Chuckie will be at a uke camp there....but it is by sign up which includes the whole package deal with hotel and all....
it is not cheap, but with Chuckie and Sarah as the big headliners, you cannot go wrong...

The website for the Big Island Ukulele Guild might help.
http://www.bigislandukuleleguild.org/index.html
The annual BIUG Exhibition begins on October 4, probably after you leave, but the website also provides information on Big Island builders. perhaps you can contact some of them ahead of your visit and arrange to see some of their work.

There's a Hawaiian Music Concert in Kailua-Kona on Sept 28th. I believe it's $15. admission.
There's a kanikapila at the Keauhou Beach Resort every Wednesday at 6pm and runs until 7:30pm.
If you want a nice beach, you can check out Kua Bay at mile marker #88 (the street directly opposite the Veteran's Memorial Cemetery) on HWY19.
You can also check out the black sand beach at Punalu'u Beach Park. Pololu Valley is not very far from Hawi so you can kill two birds with one stone and check out the uke store there as Chuck pointed out. There's Waipio Valley as well. Hope you're in shape 'cause dang, I was burnt out by the time I made it down to the beach and back up that crazy hill to the parking lot!

I love Big Island. Hopefully I'll make a stop over next year.

Thanks all for the info. Its a great start for me. Going be there the last week in September. Cant wait. Hoping to look at some property there too. Retirement is not too far off.

There's a kanikapila at the Keauhou Beach Resort every Wednesday at 6pm and runs until 7:30pm.

This group no longer meets at the Keauhou Beach Resort (the resort closed last year and the site is being converted to a Hawaiian education/cultural site). The group which met there, Mele Ohana, now meets at 6 pm on Wednesdays at Regency Hualalai (a senior community).

For a current, full listing of Big Island activities (events as well as weekly happenings), go to: http://www.konaweb.com/musicians/events.shtml

Enjoy yourself! I'll be there in November and I can hardly wait (but I've gotta get better at playing by then or Chuck will think all his luthier talent is wasted on my Moore Bettah ukulele).

This group no longer meets at the Keauhou Beach Resort (the resort closed last year and the site is being converted to a Hawaiian education/cultural site). The group which met there, Mele Ohana, now meets at 6 pm on Wednesdays at Regency Hualalai (a senior community).

For a current, full listing of Big Island activities (events as well as weekly happenings), go to: http://www.konaweb.com/musicians/events.shtml

Enjoy yourself! I'll be there in November and I can hardly wait (but I've gotta get better at playing by then or Chuck will think all his luthier talent is wasted on my Moore Bettah ukulele).

Very nice link - thanks!

Top Bottom