FS: Soprano ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.

henderson is go

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a 17 year old builder and recently started to get into the ukulele. I had built this ukulele as a personal instrument, but after not playing it for a few months, have decided to list it for sale (I also desperately need money to help pay for college as the schools I'm interested in are very far out of my price range). I had started a thread about this uke when I completed it; it can be found here

The specs are figured maple back, sides, and neck, lutz spruce top and bracing, and indian rosewood fretboard, bridge, binding, and neck laminations. I used hot hide glue and fish glue extensively in the construction of this uke and it features an exceptionally thin, gloss lacquer finish. The ukulele includes a case.

My inspirations for this uke ran from martin to the romantic builders of the 19th century: the sweeping fretboard at the body is such a striking feature of many stauffer guitars, I felt compelled to use it in the construction of my next instrument, which this happened to be. I've also been focusing much of my design effort on a system of simple elegance: using as little embellishment as possible as to allow the beauty of the wood speak for it's self. I believe I've stayed in keeping with that by avoiding inlays and only using B/W/B purfling and simple rosewood binding.

Tone: I'd describe this uke as bright, but not overly bright. It features a good deal of warmth in the lower registers as well and is quite powerful too. I'm not all that good at describing tone, so I can provide a video if requested. The current strings on it are Martin florocarbon.

The price is $400 +shipping, and includes a hard shell tweed case.

Please not that the price has been lowered by $200 after I had thought about it decided it would be best to lower the price to get my work into the hands of players

Please feel free to contact me here on the forum and at my email address, biguitars051@gmail.com

Thank you, Brian Itzkin

AFE3BA21-6FD5-4E24-A171-7C3E55E1C623-17491-00001FC841AB7775_zpsff8c4d77.jpg

76885A2A-5BB0-4BD4-BCFE-B8B6BF005ADB-17491-00001FC857240DEB_zps383d8452.jpg

955F8E05-C716-4ECB-9766-BDE4318213C9-17491-00001FC846D7D8F9_zps16d47791.jpg

27CE8BE2-DD36-4F5B-B928-143C67866E70-17491-00001FC85BE2705C_zps29d09811.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet looking ukulele, Brian. Even though you're a new builder, it's a nice build. I have a couple Martins, a Mike Pereira custom and a blinged out Pono soprano for about that price, but yours looks as good--and those builders aren't saving for college (they're professional luthiers)...so you score a couple points on them for that. :)

Wishing you the best with the sale, and with future possible instrument builds, and with college.

That is a damned fine looking soprano.

the width of the scale is a short tenor scale in a soprano body? very different. Good luck!

I second Phil's comment...it's absolutely beautiful. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if not for international shipping. :)

Thank you everyone for your replies. The dimensions are rather similar to a Martin: the nut width is 1 13/32, the width at the 12th fret is 1 13/16, and the string spacing at the bridge is 1 41/64. The scale length is 13.875" as opposed to the martin standard of 13.614"

It's also only made of four types of wood: Indian rosewood, Lutz spruce, Spanish cedar, and American red maple, so it can be shipped internationally should anyone interested be located overseas.

I'd also like to point out that I build guitars and plan to continue to build for as long as I possibly can. This means that this instrument includes a warranty agains defects in materials and workmanship that will stand for the life of the original purchaser, the instrument, or myself.

Frankly I don't know how to play the uke, but here's a mediocre video shot with an iPhone of me attempting to play :D

It's a very pretty and sweet sounding uke Brian. All the best with the sale, I believe someone will receive an excellent, classy instrument. I would be sorely tempted myself had I the available funds.

Very nice ukulele man....and good luck with the sale and school.....sounds preety good too...wow :)

Good intonation, an easier song for the sound demo would flatter it even more.

thanks for your replies.

I'll try and make another video should this ukulele not sell soon

I'd like to mention that if a local pickup is arranged (I'm on Long Island NY), I'll gladly knock $60 off the price.

The photos in the OP were taken with an iPhone and don't represent the instrument well. Here are some unedited shots taken with an SLR camera. A new video will come soon... well as soon as I learn a tune to play

DSC_0290_zpsac51a15c.jpg

DSC_0289_zps98cda4e3.jpg

DSC_0273_zps78cf35b2.jpg

DSC_0277_zps25d09da6.jpg

I would really like to get this uke into the hands of someone who can appreciate it, so I've decided to lower the price to $550 plus shipping, or if a local pickup is arranged, $500

Lovely uke, Brian. I cannot afford any new instruments right now, but I'm sure whoever is lucky enough to buy this will love it.

After some discussion with a luthier friend and a bit of research into uke pricing, I've decided to lower the price to $500 plus shipping. Also, I will allow a 2 day trial period: from the time you receive this ukulele, you have two days to decide whether or not to keep it. If you for any reason send it back, the selling price (not shipping costs) will be refunded.

Paypal is my preferred payment BTW.

I wish I could swing it just to support a young builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom