Ordered from HMS...Now Have to Wait...Your Experiences?

frets alot

Reaction score
At the end of July, I purchased a Pono AB from HMS on-line. Turns out, they didn't have what I requested in stock, so I'm going to have to wait until their next shipment of Pono's, which will likely be a couple of months.

They offered to cancel my order and refund my money, or they said I could keep the order in and they'd fill it when they got a uke that fits my order. I kept my order in and have paid them in full.....(makes me nervous).

Has anyone else had to wait a couple of months for a uke from HMS, after having paid for it? Am I worrying for nothing? Should I just relax? Will HMS remember to fill my order? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

PS. I have emailed HMS a couple of questions on two occasions since finding out I had to wait, and I haven't heard anything back. :(

I think you have nothing to worry about other than waiting. HMS is very reputable and definitely good peeps.

Just not so good sometimes with email follow-ups. Give them a call to quell your fears.

hahaha...your screen name can be interpretted a couple of ways

I don't think you are really worried or you would have asked for a refund.

Has anyone else had to wait a couple of months for a uke from HMS, after having paid for it? Am I worrying for nothing? Should I just relax? Will HMS remember to fill my order? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

(

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. No.

Having a well setup instrument from a reputable dealer will be worth the wait. What bums me out is that, this time of year, yuke inventory is running low. All our family birthdays are now, so finding gifts has been hit and miss.

Having a well setup instrument from a reputable dealer will be worth the wait. What bums me out is that, this time of year, yuke inventory is running low. All our family birthdays are now, so finding gifts has been hit and miss.

Aloha Jenny

yes I guess inventory is running low this time of year...but HMS(aka The Ukulele Site) is Pono so when they are waiting for new stock...they(Pono) the Ukuleles comes directly from the Pono factory and then set up at the warehouse here on Oahu...

so you are getting a brand new never played Pono from Andrew's dad John...that is cool!

I see no problems with your deposit..and I am sure they will complete your order as soon as they can...

You've got nothing to worry about. I've dealt with Andrew on a few occasions. He is absolutely reputable and will make sure your order is right. Sorry you have to wait, though. That can be agonizing!

-Steve

HMS is the best. I wish I could buy everything from them, including books, groceries and even a house. They are super honest and do awesome set up work that most people don't even realize.

I'm certain that HMS is very reputable and concerned about their customers given all of the praise I've read here but I do have to say that they are terrible about answering email. I've sent them emails on 2-3 occasions and never got a response from them.

Nothing to worry about, I got my Kamaka from them earlier this year. The group is right about the emails tho' - call if you have any ques, I found them always pleasant and willing to answer any and all questions by phone.

Nothing to worry about. It will all be o.k. You are safe. They have a great reputation because they have earned it.:D

I'm certain that HMS is very reputable and concerned about their customers given all of the praise I've read here but I do have to say that they are terrible about answering email. I've sent them emails on 2-3 occasions and never got a response from them.

you can always call them..if it is important question I know they want to help

At the end of July, I purchased a Pono AB from HMS on-line. Turns out, they didn't have what I requested in stock, so I'm going to have to wait until their next shipment of Pono's, which will likely be a couple of months.

They offered to cancel my order and refund my money, or they said I could keep the order in and they'd fill it when they got a uke that fits my order. I kept my order in and have paid them in full.....(makes me nervous).

Thanks.

PS. I have emailed HMS a couple of questions on two occasions since finding out I had to wait, and I haven't heard anything back. :(

Hey Susan, Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the post. Friends are nice to us, even in spite of our imperfections. But just to be fair. We showed you pictures of 2 of them in stock but you didn't like the look. And Chris told you it would be the end of September or even October. But we love you for even wanting to give us your business and will certainly hook it up with a choice Bari asap. I promise to go to work for you right when they arrive. Crystal just credited this one though because I don't want you to worry. We will get like 70 or 80, it's not gonna be out again quickly so no worries. Thanks!! Andrew (808)781-9168

Aloha Frets Alot...
Pono's and Andrew are the the best, be patient and you will get a great playing uke you will enjoy playing...their set up is the best of the best and their goal is trying to please all.
I must say, I been to HMS and played a Pono Mahogany baritone and it sure was sweet sounding and played comfortly....and it did resonate well...
may well be the best bargin for the price and with the set up stand up to the K brands.....
PS, As you know all ukes have their own voice, I'd ask andrew to play each for you and pick the best by ear....asthetics is always secondary to me...Good Luck

Last edited:
I just ordered a KoAloha Superconcert from them. I had to call them because their site doesn't acknowledge FPO Addresses. I emailed Andrew and Zach because I forgot to tell them that I wanted the uke setup low G. I also suggested to Andrew how the FPO/Military postal system works. I got an email reply from both Zach and Andrew the very next day. This is my first experience with HMS but so far they have been great to me. Really looking forward to receiving the uke. I have had alot of people tell me that their setups are exceptional.

I just ordered a KoAloha Superconcert from them. I had to call them because their site doesn't acknowledge FPO Addresses. I emailed Andrew and Zach because I forgot to tell them that I wanted the uke setup low G. I also suggested to Andrew how the FPO/Military postal system works. I got an email reply from both Zach and Andrew the very next day. This is my first experience with HMS but so far they have been great to me. Really looking forward to receiving the uke. I have had alot of people tell me that their setups are exceptional.

Great...congrats on the new KoAloha

Zack is the shipping Guru at HMS so he problably happy that you filled him in on FPO addresses...I worked at the Post Office and saw that there were all kinds of ways to send packages to FPO/APO..Zack very helpful with shipping questions too..

fyi Zack is a Na Hoku award winner...the Hawaiian Grammy awards...kind of cool

Last edited:
I have dealt with HMS a few times, and have even had a nice conversation with Andrew over the phone on one occasion. They are reputable and great to work with, and I have never had a problem. They generally respond quickly to e-mails, however one time I had to e-mail Andrew twice about a question. I later found out he was extremely busy, and forgot to get back to me. He apologized for not returning my e-mail the first time, but it really wasn't a big deal to me; he still answered my question. I do not think you realize just how busy they are or how hard they work at ensuring your satisfaction. They do a great job making sure every instrument is setup (including the $100 ukuleles) before leaving the store and will put on any set of strings you request at no extra charge. You have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
I've had no problems and emails were replied to in a timely manner but I did send an email to Zach vs. sending it to the general email. Great customer service!!

The only times I didn't get a reply from HMS were when I used the website contact form/general email...but they may have solved that already. Direct emails with Andrew were replied very promptly. I know I sound very fangirl, but two months down the road I'm still very impressed with how Andrew dealt with my order for my first uke. It wasn't an expensive order, but he stuck with me through some horrible PayPal issues. Don't worry, you (and your uke!) are in safe hands.

Top Bottom