Baritone ukuleles and tenor guitars

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
After developing a strong affection for baritone ukuleles, I bought a tenor guitar (a Blueridge BR-40T) that I had tuned DGBE (aka "Chicago tuning") so that I wouldn't have to learn new chord shapes. (Having evolved from tenor banjos, tenor guitars are often tuned CGDA.) Anyway, people have repeatedly asked me to compare baritone ukuleles with tenor guitars and, aside from saying that tenor guitars have a larger body than baritone ukuleles and steel strings, I've been meaning to make a comparison video. I still haven't made that video, but I found this one on YouTube, comparing a Pono baritone, a Makai baritone and a Blueridge BR-40T tenor guitar, so I thought I'd share the link to it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iXztZXiPIo

Fantastic, thanks!

After developing a strong affection for baritone ukuleles, I bought a tenor guitar (a Blueridge BR-40T) that I had tuned DGBE (aka "Chicago tuning") so that I wouldn't have to learn new chord shapes. (Having evolved from tenor banjos, tenor guitars are often tuned CGDA.) Anyway, people have repeatedly asked me to compare baritone ukuleles with tenor guitars and, aside from saying that tenor guitars have a larger body than baritone ukuleles and steel strings, I've been meaning to make a comparison video. I still haven't made that video, but I found this one on YouTube, comparing a Pono baritone, a Makai baritone and a Blueridge BR-40T tenor guitar, so I thought I'd share the link to it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iXztZXiPIo

That's a helpful vid, and the potential lower tuning(s) are addicting as well.

I actually just sold my tenor guitar -- (T)GAS anyone? -- which I was tuning CFAD. It was sweet.

For those who are thinking about it: I didn't find the increase in scale length to be that big a deal, but the narrow nut -- I think industry standard is 1 1/4" -- took some getting used to.

Last edited:
Agree with liking the idea of Tenor Guitars and tuning them Chicago style DGBE, like a baritone. I too could not get down with the really narrow nut and the steel strings (ouch). Baritone is a good size, but tenor guitar seemed just a little too big for me.

MDS -

So what are your impressions? How do you like the tenor guitar?

I'm also seriously looking for a tenor. I want to stick with something "modern" like a Gold Tone or a Blueridge. There are some vintage instruments for sale, but the typically smaller body size of older tenors and questionable physical shape of guitars that I see on the internet scare me away.

Nice comparison. Sure like that Pono. Thanks for sharing.

MDS -

So what are your impressions? How do you like the tenor guitar?

I'm also seriously looking for a tenor. I want to stick with something "modern" like a Gold Tone or a Blueridge. There are some vintage instruments for sale, but the typically smaller body size of older tenors and questionable physical shape of guitars that I see on the internet scare me away.

I'm very happy with my Blueridge tenor, although I'm casually looking to upgrade. I think, in part because of the steel strings, that my tenor guitar sounds more like a guitar than baritone ukuleles do (one reason it bothers me when people call baritone ukes "little guitars) and it has a scale length that's comfortable for me. I played a vintage tenor guitar about a year ago at a music shop in Maui, and I could tell that it had been well-made, but the one I played seemed a little beat up.

I think when people say baritone ukes sound like little guitars they are referring to nylon strung classical guitars. And they actually do.

I have a National tricone tenor guitar that I bought planning to tune it DGBE, since I never got used to baritone ukes, and play it with uke shapes. Because of the "right" tuning of the tenor guitar in fifths is so versatile (and allows me to play other instruments like the mandolin), I decided to give it a try - I bought the strings and tuned it CFAD - but still haven't started studying it yet. If I don't learn to play in that tuning I will go back to Chicago Tuning. Pics related.
image.jpgnational.jpg

Last edited:
I've built one Tenor guitar, and it turned out really nice.
Built on the pattern of a Martin Size-2 body, in Rosewood and Euro spruce.

2%20tenor%20finished%201a.jpg

I've built one Tenor guitar, and it turned out really nice.
Built on the pattern of a Martin Size-2 body, in Rosewood and Euro spruce.

2%20tenor%20finished%201a.jpg

I recently bought a 1929 Martin 2-28T that is now getting it's neck reset. I'm really stoked about it. It has a Spruce top and Brazilian rosewood back and sides. It came with a very old case that is for a larger guitar.
Did you find a case that would fit your replica?

I think when people say baritone ukes sound like little guitars they are referring to nylon strung classical guitars. And they actually do.

I have a National tricone tenor guitar that I bought planning to tune it DGBE, since I never got used to baritone ukes, and play it with uke shapes. Because of the "right" tuning of the tenor guitar in fifths is so versatile (and allows me to play other instruments like the mandolin), I decided to give it a try - I bought the strings and tuned it CFAD - but still haven't started studying it yet. If I don't learn to play in that tuning I will go back to Chicago Tuning. Pics related.
View attachment 59175View attachment 59176

Baritone ukuleles are closer to tenor classical guitars than to ukuleles. They really are little guitars, I think when baritones were first being marketed they couldn't figure out what to call it so they just called it a ukulele. I guess they didn't want to call it a Cuatro, which by the specifications is exactly what a baritone ukulele is, a Cuatro tuned to dgbe.

Also that resobody looks awesome, would love to hear it!

I recently bought a 1929 Martin 2-28T that is now getting it's neck reset. I'm really stoked about it. It has a Spruce top and Brazilian rosewood back and sides. It came with a very old case that is for a larger guitar.
Did you find a case that would fit your replica?

I use a 3/4 size guitar case for mine (21 inch scale)(Gator GWE-ACOU-3/4) and it fits fine. A lot of these are close though-I had to measure mine out and look for a while to find the right fit. Just to clarify, mine is not a Martin size 2, it is custom, but a 3/4 size ought to get you in the ballpark. Picture attached.

IMG_20131003_125312_102.jpg

Last edited:
I use a 3/4 size guitar case for mine (21 inch scale)(Gator GWE-ACOU-3/4) and it fits fine. A lot of these are close though-I had to measure mine out and look for a while to find the right fit. Just to clarify, mine is not a Martin size 2, it is custom, but a 3/4 size ought to get you in the ballpark. Picture attached.

View attachment 59479

Thanks for the info. I checked on mine a few days ago and the neck is still not properly hung. IN anticipation of getting it, I bought a 1930 National tri-cone Tenor Guitar today. That should arrive by Monday or Tuesday (fingers crossed)

National Tenor.jpg

Last edited:
Aloha Mark,
Wow thank you for the link...it is great....this opens up another road for me.... woo hooo ;)

Top Bottom