ukulele upgrade suggestion

guill1234

Reaction score
I have only been playing for 2 months but would like to upgrade my uke. I have a Kala ka-t and really like it, but would like to upgrade. I don't care about the brand, but simply a step up in class and a great bang for the buck. What do you think would be a step up? Any questions for me?

Select any uke from HMS (theukulelesite.com) that's in your price range and it'll still be a bang for the buck, what with the excellent set up job they do! :)

P.S. check the postage for your area on the site first because it can go as high as 100 dollars if you live in australia like me. If you live in America, I'm sure it will be a good shipping price though.

To avoid the costly incremental mambo that we've all done, jump up to a Koaloha and be done with it (until you long for a custom uke in another two months).

i'm having a custom uke made from the wood of the true cross, strung with the last remaining hairs found in the remains of Helen of Troy and with a bone and nut from a unicorn. i'll be happy with this until something better comes along.

I have only been playing for 2 months but would like to upgrade my uke. I have a Kala ka-t and really like it, but would like to upgrade. I don't care about the brand, but simply a step up in class and a great bang for the buck. What do you think would be a step up? Any questions for me?
Your budget . . . will determine what you want.

Thanks, I actually bought my Kala from them while in Hawaii so I will definitely buy from them. I really now understand the importance of getting a nice setup.

Last edited:
I just looked at the koahola ukes and they are few classes above what I can do, but by the reviews it should be. I might do the incremental mambo jumbo.

I will take a look at pono and mainland unfortunately I have not been able to find a store in southern California with the nicer stuff in stock to get a feel. Any thoughts on the islander? Is it slightly better than than the Kala or good jump?

i'm having a custom uke made from the wood of the true cross, strung with the last remaining hairs found in the remains of Helen of Troy and with a bone and nut from a unicorn. i'll be happy with this until something better comes along.
Well, that might serve for a month or two, but I bet soon enough you'll get bored with such a pedestrian instrument.

Just my 2 cents......

But why don't you think hard about what it is that the Kala doesn't have that you're looking for in particular? Is it prettier wood or a certain wood species?.....solid vs laminate construction?...different tone?.....

Why not look for the Ukulele that will provide what it is that you think you'll gain from a new instrument? Of course, if what you're looking for is just something "new" than it doesn't really matter what you buy...and it's also likely that you won't be satisfied for long either. As soon as the "new" wears off you'll be looking again for something to supply the "new" that has worn off the old (or by another name - UAS).

Maybe look at the used instruments in the marketplace. You'll find some killer deals and be able to get much more for less money.

Guill, you might have to buy online. I looked far and wide for a music store with a good selection of ukes and couldn't find one. Well, there is a small family owned string instrument store that had a few better ukes, but not very many to chose from. I bought a Mainland from the source online and it is great (of course I am a beginner and what do I really know about great, but it seems great to me)

I will take a look at pono and mainland unfortunately I have not been able to find a store in southern California with the nicer stuff in stock to get a feel. Any thoughts on the islander? Is it slightly better than than the Kala or good jump?

Hard to go wrong with a Flea or Fluke. And you don't have to worry about set-up, or babying the instrument.

I just got a brand new Flea the other day and can't stop playing it. It's a very bright and exuberant little instrument.

I can imagine what was made with the bone, but what did you use the unicorn´s nut for? And what did you do with the other nut?

They are a delicacy in certain parts of the world.

My custom uke is a combination of wood from the original Woodstock stage and from the Ryman stage, in Nashville. Strings were wound from threads found in Jane Austen's sewing box. The nut and saddle were taken from the double crown of Egyptian pharaoh/queen Hatshepsut.

the Cordoba 35T sounds very nice...these were designed by Pepe Romero Jr. and seem to be a well kept secret...but it sounds as good or better thank any other uke in its price range...IMO

Beware the consequences: http://youtu.be/GVdJA55g27I

Top Bottom