strumming with finger vs pick

omevans10

Reaction score
First of all, I am EXTREMELY new to the ukulele. Got my first uke (mainland concert) a couple weeks ago and am using the UU+ videos and a simple book to learn.

I have not really liked the way the uke sounds when I strum with my finger. It seems to quiet and muffled. I tried with a pick and it sounds so much better. Bright, louder, crisp. So I have been playing with a pick. But just finished the UU+ video on chunking and rolling and realize I can't do either of those with a pick.

Am I making a mistake learning with a pick? Do most people use their finger? Am I not doing it right if it sounds to quiet and muffled?

thanks!

I don't know that there are stats out there but I'd guess that a sizable majority use their finger. For me, I always liked just being able to pick up the uke and playing without having to worry about another piece of equipment. I've played guitar before and picks were always getting lost and they would always slip in my fingers requiring constant adjustment. I found it to be a bit of a pain. If you are brushing the strings with your fingertip you will get a softer sound. You may want to try letting the nail grow out a bit on your strumming finger so that when you strum the strings, you are strumming them with your nail.

I agree with Mikelz. My strumming method involves me positioning my hand as if I'm holding a pick but actually strumming with the fingers. Through this method, I'm able to get a sound that's similar to a pick since my index finger nail is touching the strings and not the flesh. Not sure whether you'll like my method or not but give it a try!

You may want to try letting the nail grow out a bit on your strumming finger so that when you strum the strings, you are strumming them with your nail.
Since you are new, you should try everything. My suggestion is to try growing the nails on 4 of your fingers, leaving out the pinky unless you are going to do some serious flamenco strumming. My thumb nail splits in one part so I have never been able to grow it long. This guy has suggestions:
http://liveukulele.com/gear/fingernail-care/
I carry a little piece of sandpaper, 600 to 1000 grit to try to keep my nails in shape. I constantly break my nails and can play without them but I prefer the tone with long nails. I would be more careful with them if I actually had to support my family with my uke or if I didn't have to do dishes, or work in the yard or do any kind of work for that matter.

I suggest logging time with each approach for now.

When I first started, I had the same inclination to want to just use a pick. I stuck with the index finger strumming,
and it just clicked into place one day, feeling much more natural, and sounding good with some use of the nail.

Be aware that there will be substantial wear on the ukulele soundboard with a pick. If this is the direction that you choose, you may want to install a pick guard.

I agree you can do picking with a pick, or picking with your fingers, strumming with a pick or strumming with your fingers. The pick is going to give you a much brighter and harsher sound for the most part regardless of whether you use a soft-extra hard pick. If you like that sound, or you are used to the dexterity of picking with a pick, you can get some great sounds from that.

I use my fingers to pick and I just LOVE the Oasis nail file http://oasishumidifiers.com/nail-shaper.html (to care for nails). I was turned on to these by the great uke pro Matt Dahlberg and once he showed me one, I was hooked.

The muffled sound is most likely the way your finger is brushing across the strings, assuming when you pick it's very bright and cleaner sounding? There are many ways to strum. Some do it at an angle, some directly up and down across the nail, etc. Experiment by taking your index finger and make a fist holding your index and thumb together where your index sticks out so your finger is a bit stiff. ( I think this is what Bao desrcibed). Then try to go across the strings at about about a 20 degree angle so your striking down with your nail. However, your going to eventually do what someone either shows you to do that works, or the way you have figured out to get your sound which could be six ways from Sunday ;-)

The other factor is the strings. Just because it sounds dull with your finger but brighter with a pick (It will always sound much brighter and harsher with a hard plectrum). Your strings might be part of the issue, but without knowing the strings, not sure on recommendations. Many ukes come with Aquila's that are usually pretty darn bright sounding. If you have those on your uke and it's dull sounding I would be curious.

I suggest watching a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_CmQEnSHpQ from Kimo Hussey on Right Hand technique as it's a really good video.
Don't get frustrated as you will find the way you like and it will all click.

Cheers!

Since you are new, you should try everything. My suggestion is to try growing the nails on 4 of your fingers, leaving out the pinky unless you are going to do some serious flamenco strumming. My thumb nail splits in one part so I have never been able to grow it long. This guy has suggestions:
http://liveukulele.com/gear/fingernail-care/
I carry a little piece of sandpaper, 600 to 1000 grit to try to keep my nails in shape. I constantly break my nails and can play without them but I prefer the tone with long nails. I would be more careful with them if I actually had to support my family with my uke or if I didn't have to do dishes, or work in the yard or do any kind of work for that matter.

The right way is the way that works best for you.

I like flat picking guitar music and after trying my fingers, have gravitated to using a pick for picking and for strumming.

I also like to practice finger picking and of course then just use my fingers.

I work on a computer all day and don't like the feel (or the look) of long nails on my right hand.

Lots of helpful suggestions. Have you tried your thumb yet? Like you my finger strumming was awkward and unsatisfactory and the pick opened things up to a point. When I tried thumb strumming down and fingers up that was my "Eureka" moment. Still try finger strumming and it seems to feel more natural at times but have put the pick away.

When it feels right and sounds right, that's bliss.

I can make plenty of noise using just my fingernails. I tried a plectrum but can't seem to hold onto it, and it restricts how you can play, and sounds to me more guitarish. But some people find it best for their style of playing. I don't think there is any right or wrong, just do what works for you.

No self respecting ukulele player will use a pick. ;0) Only kidding. I thought a pick would be a good idea when I first started playing, but soon realized that it got in the way, and I could do so much less with it and it was so hard on the strings. I did realize that I have a built in pick right at the end of my finger. It is called your fingernail! Grow them at least 1/4" on the right hand if you are a right handed strummer and vice versa. Keep clear polish on them to keep them strong and lightly file them every day to keep them from breaking. If I ever break my index finger nail, my ukulele sounds so muted that I have a mourning period until it grows out. Hope this helps.

Fingernails aside, how hard you strum and where you strum (not to mention the instrument itself) make a big difference in terms of projection. I thought I had a very mute uke (LU-21C) but lately I've realized it was my strumming that wasn't up to snuff... now I need to quiet myself down. I'm also playing in a small room - that makes a big difference too. If you're outside or in a large room the uke will not sound as loud since your ears are behind the sound hole & board and you don't get any reflection from walls.

Fingernails are important too... but everyone seems to have covered this.

Picks can cause wear on the strings and also on the wood part of the ukulele where the pick hits... so I think finger picking is much better. unless if your ukulele has a pick guard, but it still cause wear on the strings.

I am going to have to keep playing with it. The uke sounds so much better to me with the pick, but I do agree with everyone that it gets in the way and it will be easier to play with my fingers. I'll work on it.

Just to add, you can pick two three or all strings simultaneously with your nails but it is not possible with a plectrum, especially if you have a string to miss out in the middle .

Strumming instructional videos

Coming from a guitar background, I am also having trouble adjusting to strumming with my fingers. Does anyone know of some favorite instructional youtube videos that might help? I have the basics, but would like to learn some new strumming patterns to improve my right hand technique.

Just to add, you can pick two three or all strings simultaneously with your nails but it is not possible with a plectrum, especially if you have a string to miss out in the middle .

You can use a number of techniques with a flat pick/plectrum that will produce the same effect as fingerpicking. I can replicate pretty much anything with a pick - including Formby style strums, etc. In most cases, a listener is unable to tell if a pick is used if they cannot physically see the player. As with anything, it is a matter of technique.

I increasingly find myself using a bone pick while playing ukulele... about 80% of the time, I would guess. Ironically, I decreasingly find myself using a pick on guitar - gravitating to a more Joe Pass-like technique. This will all evolve, I am sure.

I guess my point is, you cannot just make blanket statements regarding technique. If you can do it with naked fingers, you can do it with a pick - and vice versa. In the end, it boils down to personal preference.

I'm going to weigh in on this again because I think it's an important thread. Although a pick can be used, the acoustical qualities of the instrument lend themselves to playing the instrument at the lowest portion of the fretboard not over the soundhole. A pick would be cumbersome to use at this fretboard location (maybe impossible) while a finger/thumb strum is appropriate and enhances the fine acoustical properties of the ukulele.

As pointed out in previous responses, you are also severely limited in the execution of percussive and dynamic strums, etc. It might be in your best interest to develop a finger/thumb strum as a ukulele player. Are you holding the ukulele properly, up against you chest and cradled by your arm? Playing the ukulele too low in you lap (like a small guitar) can limit the movement of your wrist.

If you do continue to use a pick, I will say this. Never play a ukulele that you do not own (friend's, store demo, ukulele show, etc.) with a pick. It is extremely presumptuous and may very well damage a ukulele soundboard with permanent strum marks. I once saw a mandolin player pick up a friend's Kamaka without asking and start to play it with a pick. The friendship dissolved quickly...

Mike

Mike, we may just have to agree to disagree...

Although a pick can be used, the acoustical qualities of the instrument lend themselves to playing the instrument at the lowest portion of the fretboard not over the soundhole.

Where you play on the string will affect the instrument's timbre.... but there is no one magical place to play the ukulele. One should pluck/strum where the desired sound is produced. (Jake seems to play over the soundhole quite a bit.)

A pick would be cumbersome to use at this fretboard location (maybe impossible) while a finger/thumb strum is appropriate and enhances the fine acoustical properties of the ukulele.

I do it all the time... when I want that particular timbre.

As pointed out in previous responses, you are also severely limited in the execution of percussive and dynamic strums, etc.

Not in my experience.

If you do continue to use a pick, I will say this. Never play a ukulele that you do not own (friend's, store demo, ukulele show, etc.) with a pick.

I agree with this... although I have no pickguards on most of my instruments, and I never scratch them - some people are very zealous with their strumming.

Top Bottom