8 string pineapple tenor

ernie kleinman

Reaction score
Am building my first 8 string, and was planning to use abt 44mm at the nut and 54 mm at the body. I typically use 34mm and 44 mm at the body.This one will be a 12 fret model.I don/t have access to an 8 string locally.Is this an avg size .? too big ?? your opinion thanks.

like 38mm ?? or 1.5in ?? Because I just cut the neck out. should I make it way smaller ?. 4 string baritone uke is 40 mm neck ?? traditonal tenor is abt 34-35 mm.Thanks.sven

Enclosing what we make our cnc necks..... (we always cut a dovetail by hand after the cnc finishes so the heel area is always longer than needed if your going to flush the heel.)

Blessings,

Kevin

8 String Uke Neck.jpg8 String Slot Head.jpg

I've only built one 8-string tenor. I made the nut around 38 or 39 mm I recall. But I had to make a new nut since I set the strings too far apart in the pairs. I don't have any exact measurement but they should be quite close together.

Enclosing what we make our cnc necks..... (we always cut a dovetail by hand after the cnc finishes so the heel area is always longer than needed if your going to flush the heel.)
Talking of hand cut dovetails...If the compound Dovetail fitted to a radius end uke, could be done with a standard 3 axis CNC router I would have done it years ago....Martin got round the problem with "The Applied Dovetail"...tho' not completely foolproof I still like my method on the bandsaw :)

Thanks kevin and tim for all the good info, my design will be a mortise/tenon reinforced with a 1/4-20 bolt and insert. I make my necks co-planar.I/ve opted to keep the nut at abt 38-39mm and body at 48-49mm this one will be a 12 fret to the body. I floss the neck to get a tight fit.Vy nice jig tim and kevin. I/m going to get a tutorial on cnc next week with a machinest friend.

This may be a little late. I have 2 8 string tenors. I'm going to talk outside string to outside string as this reduces variables. The Kala, which is narrower is 30 mm outside to outside string at the nut and 40 mm outside to outside string at the bridge. I find this a bit narrow for my liking.

I have an Alulu 8 string tenor which is wider at 32 mm outside to outside string at the nut and 46 mm outside to outside string at the saddle. I prefer the width of this one although it is getting wide at the saddle.

Anthony

Thanks anthony. the 32mm width seems abt right depending on ones hand size , since I allow 3mm from each end of the nut , it would be abt right at 38-39mm which is what I decided to go with. I/m taking my time with this one , never made an 8 string with d. fir top and tamarind B&S. Iwas going to use abt 2. 2.5mm for the string seperation is that abt right?? or do I need more like 3mm ??. Plan to use it for strumming.

I've just measured the string separation on mine. Both are 2.5 mm centre to centre at the nut. One maintains the string separation to the saddle and the other widens the separation to 4 mm at the saddle. You may run into issues of the string pairs touching each other when they vibrate if the distance was closer and the nut would also be quite weak if there was less material there.

Anthony

I make uke nuts from bone, ebony, pernambuco, desert ironwood,.Gud to know I guessed the seperation would be abt 2.5mm or just too much buzzing, thanks.

Our cnc had been down for about a week and the repair part came in to day. We had already decided that we needed to make some black walnut necks so, we made two necks this afternoon. The necks are the 8 string variety with slightly different files in the heel area but this is the basic cad file we showed earlier from black walnut.

Blessings,

Kevin

GGHJJKKLI46668832.jpgGGHJJKKLI46668835.jpgGGHJJKKLI46668836.jpgGGHJJKKLI46668839.jpg

Attachments

• GGHJJKKLI46668844.jpg
    GGHJJKKLI46668844.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 16
Nice stuff kevin I like the sapwood/white/brwn look in b. walnut .I ordered a air die grinder from john hall and a brand new stew mac circle cutter that has been redesigned to cut down to 2in. I/ll be sending the cutter back to john and he will make the cutter suitable for use with the die grinder and I will have 2 interchangeable bases.thanks for the photos and ideas. When I sell a few instruments I hope to upgrade and get chris/s tool vy slick indeed thanks an regards ernie

Top Bottom