Mods - please stop the spammers !!!!

blue_knight_usa

Reaction score
Today UU is under heavy fire from spammers. I would put a suggestion out there that the Mods need to put in place a validation process for all new UU members where maybe they need to provide valid email information so they can be verified or restrict anyone who signs up to only 1 postings per day for the first week. Would love to find them and show them what a computer monitor hat looks like!

Thanks Mods...hopefully you will delete those posts and block those users from today.

You beat me to it by two minutes! I'd just started a thread on the same theme, at the same time as you, it seems.

Mods feel free to delete mine.

Last count there last 22 posts to the Site Suggestions forum were Drug sales spam letters.

I think that's a great idea. The one other form I'm on you have to send an email with your name and saying why you want to be on the forum. It is a pain but I keeps the spammers down.

Catchin them as quickly as possible . . .

Take off and nuke the site from orbit

It's the only way to be sure

No-one is telling anyone how to run the site, Bill. Both of us who started threads on this issue were merely offering a suggestion as to how the serious case of spamming we happened to be witnessing could be avoided.

There are other ways. A button to call attention to a mod that the post is spam, could be added. Then you don't need to train up new mods, just have this very active membership act as eyes and ears for the overworked people running the site.

If the site owners feel neither of these options is necessary, then so be it; that's their privilege. I'm sure that Blue Knight and I just wanted to help. If there is already a "report this post" system in operation, then I am afraid that I am not aware of it.

Spamming on the scale I witnessed at 7:50 local time tonight can very quickly clog a site, if not dealt with rapidly. I reckon BK and I were just trying to be responsible members of the community, not telling anyone how to run the site or criticising anyone, other than the spammers.

B there is a "report" button. Little triangle dude. ;)

There are other ways. A button to call attention to a mod that the post is spam, could be added. Then you don't need to train up new mods, just have this very active membership act as eyes and ears for the overworked people running the site.

If the site owners feel neither of these options is necessary, then so be it; that's their privilege. I'm sure that Blue Knight and I just wanted to help. If there is already a "report this post" system in operation, then I am afraid that I am not aware of it.
Yes, that measure is already in place. At the bottom left corner of every post is a little image that looks like this
report-40b.png
. Click it to report a post.

Your best course of action is to report it, then ignore it. The mods will get to it in due time.

Don't respond to spam, and for crying out loud, don't quote it. The mods can delete all posts by a spammer, but they can't delete the quotes unless they know they're there and where they are. Don't make it harder for them.

Some spammers were offering a fresh dump. It sounds downright irresistible.

Hi BarbaraBlanca, absolutely was just giving them a heads up. Never sure what is read and at what priority as I don't know the mods. Never said anyone should do anything but made a suggestion as other forums I participate in have to have approval and there is zero spam. My employees make suggestions to me all the time on ways to improve my company, and I never take that as them telling me how to do my job or berate them for doing so. I would always appreciate folks notifying me of something that could also cause an issue and shut down the forum (knowing people care).

I didn't realize about the triangle until I sent the contact us but it's good to know for those of us who haven't experienced spam flooding the forums while we are online. Good advise itsme for sure, I never to a spammer. Now I know.

Wow, there are some kermudgeons on here lately. They need to check out those spam ads and get some CHILLAX pills and go play their ukes.

No-one is telling anyone how to run the site, Bill. Both of us who started threads on this issue were merely offering a suggestion as to how the serious case of spamming we happened to be witnessing could be avoided.

Spamming on the scale I witnessed at 7:50 local time tonight can very quickly clog a site, if not dealt with rapidly. I reckon BK and I were just trying to be responsible members of the community, not telling anyone how to run the site or criticising anyone, other than the spammers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom