Martin tiple T-18 & 2K Taro Patch

garyg

Reaction score
I thought some folks might be interested in some unusual ukes like the taro patch (8 strings) and the tiple (10 strings). Both of these ukes are Martins and made in the mid-20's (the tiple can be dated to 1925 because it has a serial number). The taro has 2 strings for every course, the tiple has 2-3-3-2 and is not much fun to tune. I don't pick so these videos just have me playing various chords. The taro is a model 2K and there were less than 400 made. Here ya go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWpKFW-KEbY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqOqd2bfcbQ
The videos were made with a Flip HD camera with internal mics. cheers, g2

Thanks! Those are very cool! Got to say, I like the Taropatch better.

Last edited:
Love the taropatch. I tried to convince Ohana to make one based on the CK35...concert size of course. I think it would sell way better than a tiple.

Each has it's own positive attributes. The taro has a reverb that is mellower and easier to use for vocal accompaniment, the tiple is one of those "wow what the he11 is that" instruments, but it's booming sound overpowers the voice unless you're an experienced opera soloist. They are both really cool though. The taro has a kind of slide uke sound and I like that for country blues songs like Know your rider, or Hesitation blues. The tiple would be great for instrumentals. The few videos that I've seen show players mostly picking the tiple although it apparently was designed to be strummed. I haven't tuned either to D yet, although that would have been the most common tuning when they were developed. I think that Kiwaya builds a modern taro, and there were some comments about Martin making a new version out of cherry.

I like them both! Nice exotic creatures for your Martin collection, Gary. Next, you need a terz guitar:). Okay. I've been thinking about one, but you could get one too. The tiple is otherworldly. It sounds like it should be easy to play, but of course it's not. To even think of tuning it makes my head spin. One must block out time, I think.

I saw the Kiwaya at Ukulele Puapua, if anyone is interested. I don't know that Kiwaya makes them regularly. Very nice instrument, but expensive.

Anyway, you inspired me to pick up my Nunes taro. Still can't play it well. Remco can, for sure. It seems open chords are key.

Aloha Gary,
thank you..yes I believe when you are learning to tune by ear these ukes can be a pain...but once you can it is quite easy to do but still a pain....In fact my 6 strings is at far as I will go..
But I do enjoy the sound now I know how I want them tuned....that is the secret..... another thing is the steel strings on the tiple is hard on my fingernail and fingers....
you must have a big martin collection by now, hey I am so jealous of your nice martins wow...okay how many do you have? happy Strummings..

Hi Gary,
Great instruments.
Since there is a going thread in "builders", what is the nut width of the Taropatch?

Hi Dave, measured with a ruler rather than a calipers but ~ 1 9/16" or 39mm . Thanks for the interest. cheers, g2

Aloha Gary,
thank you..yes I believe when you are learning to tune by ear these ukes can be a pain...but once you can it is quite easy to do but still a pain....In fact my 6 strings is at far as I will go..
But I do enjoy the sound now I know how I want them tuned....that is the secret..... another thing is the steel strings on the tiple is hard on my fingernail and fingers....
you must have a big martin collection by now, hey I am so jealous of your nice martins wow...okay how many do you have? happy Strummings..

Aloha Stan and I hope that you're feeling well. Yes, I have learned to tune by ear but I still check with a tuner and the thing with these multistring ukes is if one string in the same course is off then it sounds worse, to my ear at any rate, than if a string is off with a standard 4 string uke. Of course the advantage to that is that it's easy to tell when one is off, especially on the tiple which has different gauged strings in each course - the taro just has the same string doubled. How many Martins do I have, well I don't really consider myself a collector because I play all my ukes but not infrequently when I see a good deal on a vintage Martin I'll buy it to resell later. Also I don't really like to advertise what I have because it seems like bragging and also I've been given some good deals by more knowledgeable folks when I was learning to love Martins. So I have 4 pre-1920 sopranos all model 1's, 3 hog and 1 koa, a mid 20's 2M, a Ditson 1M dreadnaught, a 30's 1M, and two Vita's. I've traded or sold all the rest of my higher end ukes except for an Anuenue 1879 and a Favilla or two. cheers, g2

Holy smokes you have more vintage martins than me....cool man and two vita's....yes I have only one vita but love it too....you when tuning these multi string ukes... I hit the 4 main strings
first then go higher or lower on side strings by ear or tuner....still a hassle but I fine tune to pitch too... between you and howie, you both got me beat on vintages now, I really stopped
buying as it was getting way too costly for me :)
Yup still not doing well and probally worse now...shoots thank you for asking....Happy Strummings...nice to hear from you... :)

Thanks Stan and sorry to hear that you're still not feeling well. I forgot to mention that you're so right about those strings on the tiple -- I need callouses twice as thick to play it well. And those three finger chords like D and G, they always sound a bit off because it's so difficult to properly fret 7 or 8 strings at the same time. At least it is for me with my short fingers. Aloaha and take care brah. g2

Top Bottom