11 Tenor Comparison sound file

Doc_J

Reaction score
I recorded all my tenors and a visiting Kinnard Road Trip Uke for a comparison in a review thread.

At the recommendation of several friends, I'm re-posting this sound file comparison here in Uke Talk for folks who might be interested, as it makes a decent comparison of a 11 different tenors. Note that the ukes have different strings and tuning, so it is not really a direct comparison. But it will give you an idea of how a particular uke sounds.

These were recorded with a Blue Snowflake condenser mic into Audacity. Each uke sounds unique and wonderful to me.
I loaded the file into Sound Cloud so you can see where a new uke starts. It's also interesting to see the recorded sound.

https://soundcloud.com/doc-hj/2013-11-tenors

Each uke has about a 1:40 sample.
Here's the order on the recording. I announce each uke.

1. Kinnard RTU (Engleman spruce & EI rosewood)
2. Moodyville Gypsy Jazz (sitka & English walnut)
3. Ko'olau K1-T (Hawaiian Ash)
4. LFdM (sinker redwood & zericote)
5. KoAloha
6. Covered Bridge (cedar & Myrtle)
7. Kepasa Gypsy Rose (red spruce & rosewood)
8. Collings UT-1
9. Kanile'a K1-T Premium
10. Pepe Romero koa
11. Compass Rose flamed cherry

Maybe you have a favorite string, uke, or tuning? I like them all.

Awesome comparison and interesting to hear the differences among brand, string (tuning) and wood. Jeez, what is that, about 13-15 grand in tenors though?

All sound good, would be tough to call out a favorite, especially with low g strings mixed in.

What would be more fun is to make another sample without stating brand in a different order and we figure out which uke is which. First one to get it right, get's their uke of choice!! :p

Top Bottom