strings

paul miller

Reaction score
I am a relative beginer on ukulele,I have a concert ukue but I want to play blues on it,I am using nylgut strings at the moment but they are bright,could someone suggest a type that have a more bluesy tone.
In anticipation Paul Miller

You can play blues on anything. Old timey blues men started on a piece of fence wire nailed to a barn or fencepost. Anyway, I personally like low g for blues. What is your ukes construction? Many mellow strings out there. I put some inexpensive Hilo low g's on my Cordoba tenor and they sounded awesome for that purpose. Aquilas were too bright for that uke. You'll probably get some suggestions for Worth browns, D'Addario Pro Arte or ???? Ko'olau Mahanos, to name a few. Set with some wound strings might sound good to you...did to me. My current "blues uke" is a new Kala Solid Mahogany tenor I'm thinking of putting Guadalupe low g fibercore's on.

Southcoast strings have some phenomenal USA made low G strings for about ten to twenty bucks a set depending on the type, and a full, almost scientific, explanation of strings and tuning on their website. They have impeccable customer service, too. Google it and check it out, Paul.

Last edited:
Top Bottom