Lanikai Differences

BigD

Reaction score
So im curious what everyones opinion is on the sound difference with lanikai tenors. Butler Music has tons and I know most of us have looked at their offers on ebay and the prices are fantastic but what is the sound like? I know theres the mahagony the spruce the monkeypod and lots others that are in about the same price range. Anyone have some direct experience with these? Thanks!
Im especially curious what the quilted ash sounds like!

Last edited:
Big up for monkey pod! I personally own one and love it. I tried the quilted ash at my local music stores, pretty nice stuff too. There has been talk over the years about their quality control so I'm not 100% sure if I either just got to play the 'good' ones or their quality control has increased.

I'm lovin my monkeypod tenor . The sound doesn't seem as loud as my Lu 21 T but has a very nice tone and it is electric . The action is pretty good on this one but the best part is the intonation is spot on . Bought from Butler music, would I do it again , darn right I would .

Good know! Ive heard pretty good things about butler concerning setup and customer service, im also pretty curious how loud they are acoustically. I only play plugged once in a while but when the mood strikes its good to have!

Hi D, I have a monkeypod concert and like it. It took a bit of time to open up and needs some higher tension strings to really sing but looks good and the wood can take some abuse.

One word of warning. Sometimes Lanikai's quality assurance in the factory is a bit weak. I don't know how much Butler screens their instruments but they do have a 14 day return policy (you pay for the shipping both ways) When you get it look it over carefully.

Happy hunting and keep us posted

Hi D, I have a monkeypod concert and like it. It took a bit of time to open up and needs some higher tension strings to really sing but looks good and the wood can take some abuse.

One word of warning. Sometimes Lanikai's quality assurance in the factory is a bit weak. I don't know how much Butler screens their instruments but they do have a 14 day return policy (you pay for the shipping both ways) When you get it look it over carefully.

Happy hunting and keep us posted

I'm hoping mine opens up down the road too . I have Aquila red series low G strings on now and everyone comments on the tone . I will say this about Butler every ding was just what they said and none of them would have been a deal breaker even if bought new , I'm gonna play this sucker not hang it on the wall so a few minor dings does not bother me . One thing some of the screwholes on the headstock for the tuners were stripped but some Elmers and a toothpick solved that .

The solid Mahogs from Indonesia are lightly built and sound good.the tuners are inferior and the edges are sharp, but that can be remidied. the Chinese sprucetop tenors and bari's sound very nice and are a great bang for the buck nicer tuners and nice glossy finish. had one concert that was a dud, but could have been a fluke. I wasn't too impressed with the monkeypod cutaway tenor I had, but that too could have been a dud too. seems to me like they are inconsistent, but if you get a good one they are great. too bad you can't try the ones from butler beforehand. I bought one of the Gambler special baris and pineapple sopranos for about 30, and they were fine too. Oh, and the LU-8 I got from them really cheap with a popped bridge has a really light top and sounds fantastic. Unfortunately, the top is pulling up below the bridge and sinking down above.. too bad because it has a nice bound neck and decent tuners. Hoping to get another 8 before it self destructs.

Last edited:
Hmm so it more or less comes down to the same old problems of internet orderin :/ ive really got my eye on that quilt ash side tenor but i sure cant find much on it! Ill just have to do a review then!

Anyone have some direct experience with these? Thanks!
Im especially curious what the quilted ash sounds like!

I bought the quilted ash on clearance last month. I would describe it as bright, clear and loud with good sustain. Intonation is good. Beautiful wood. Plays well and was an easy transition to my first tenor although I'm still getting accustomed to the higher tension than my soprano. I'm eager to experiment with strings but plan on running with the aquillas until after Christmas. Easily worth more than the $99 I paid (not a blem model). That is the lowest I have seen and they sold out fast. There are a few out there like the Mim offer that get below $200 but her's is the only one I see with a case ($30-40). Hopefully this helps.

I have a monkeypod tenor bought several months ago, and it's beautiful wood, along with the slotted headstock and gold tuners; it was a 'blem' from Butler, and was exactly what they said. A small crack, which I filled with glue and it's stayed solid ever since; I really have to look hard to see where it was. The sound has opened up to where it's a nice sounding instrument, with perhaps more emphasis on higher notes than lower.

There was a clearance of sorts a couple of months ago, and I bought the solid mahogany tenor with pickup, and a concert quilted ash/spruce top with pickup, both cutaway. The prices were a steal, and I couldn't resist. My wife really likes the quilted ash, mostly due to the unusual wood; it plays nice and sounds fine, but I really can't compare the sound to the two tenors because of the smaller size. Probably most similar to the monkeypod in sound. The mahogany tenor surprised me, as it's my favorite for sound. It has a more even balance of low to high, and not to where it gets a booming bass, boxy sound, but very clean low to high balance. Of the 3, this is the one I wouldn't part with (it's also nice looking, although I don't care a lot for the new plastic logo on the two newer ones). the tuners on mine are fine, but I'm not a tuner gourmet, as long as they're geared and they work well, which they do.

I've bought quite a few ukes from Butler, and with no issues whatsoever; always as described or better, shipped quickly with offer for returning if desired. It's fun to have some different ukes around with different characteristics, and being able to get these at the very low prices makes it possible without the feeling that you're wasting a lot of money on full-list price models. The setup they get is a 'maybe', with some having been fine, others needing some touchup, but I don't mind a bit of nut/saddle work if needed, or even fret leveling, they all need it eventually anyway.

The monkeypod has no pickup, but the other two have the inside-the-hole controls, which I really don't care for much, but it's not really an issue....I'd rather have the top mounted panel with tuner and controls, but I don't plug in all that often, and when I do I don't really need to be adjusting the volume and tone on the fly.

But I love the sound of the mahogany tenor over all the others.

Last edited:
I have both, quilted ash and monkey pod tenor cutaways. The ash from Sam Ash (ha) for $150 four months ago when everyone else was selling it for $349. The monkey pod is a Butler eBay blem for $114. I scoured all their choices to find the least blemmed. I defy anyone to find the problems. I'm very happy with Butlers service.

To me both have a more subdued sound, but very clean. I may change the strings on both to brighten them up. One important thing I did was change the preamp. I absolutely hated the Fishman Sonicore sound hole controls, especially because they had to be placed at the 8 o'clock position instead of the Fishman recommended 6 o'clock, but could not fit there, so I don't understand why Lanikai even made that choice.

I ordered two Fishman Isys+ preamps with built in tuner from China for $30 each, 1/3 the price as here, yanked the Sonicore, and cut out the side of the ukes. Works great now.

Last edited:
Greetings-
Not exactly addressing the original issue, just commenting on Butler-
As a buyer of many of their ukes, they are EXTREMELY detailed and honest about the severity and number of issues with their blems, to the point that your have to look pretty hard to find them. Interestingly, the blem stamp is usually the worst damage. So, if you don't mind a tiny flaw or two, they are a very good value.

Top Bottom