Traveling with Ukes

SeaArtNancy

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
I've been waffling about this for a few days...I'm going on a dive vacation to the island of St Lucia soon and really want to bring my uke. It's a solid acacia wood tenor.Am i running too big a risk bringing my uke to a very very humid climate ( I do live in Florida, but my uke is always in the AC)? Apparently the place I'm staying is on the side of a mountain,seaside and has no AC but they claim it'll be cool...
Should I risk bringing my fav...or should I just buy an inexpensive soprano on EBay so I can at least strum when the mood hits me?
I found a little Lanakai on Ebay at $30.00, and an Oscar at $60.00-
Any advice would be appreciated!!!!
Nancy

I would buy something inexpensive just so you don't have to worry about damage or theft. You may find that you really like strummin on a soprano.

Do what you are comfortable doing. I typically travel with my expensive ukes as I got the ukes to play and enjoy. I would think your that your uke would be fine if you leave it the case in your room when you are not playing as far as your concerns over humidy. Good luck whatever you decide. Have a fun vacation.

I have a couple of Ukes that I use mostly just for travel. A Martin SO that I picked up for $200 and a Kala Acoustic Electric concert scale in solid mahogany that I got for about $175. They both sound very nice and are loud enough for the occasional impromptu jam session!

If I'm going to a friend's home or cottage in my car, I'll pack a couple of my better instruments.

Thanks so much!!!!! I really appreciate the advice from you all! I am going to buy a laminate Ohana pineapple from Mim... that way- I have a fun little travel uke AND I get to experiment with adding some cool painted images on it! I'll post as soon as I'm done! :)))
Can't wait till St Lucia...scuba,beach,mai tais AND a uke!!!!

Top Bottom